AUS Surgery post prostatectomy

I am 2 months post AUS today. I was unable to get out of diapers for 14 months post RP. Now I’m back in regular underwear with a pad for sneezes and lifting heavy things. I still dribble a little bit at work if I’m on my feet a lot. Overall I’m happy with the results. I would still do it again. If you have specific questions please ask I’d be happy to try to answer them.
Boomer59

boomer59 said:
I am 2 months post AUS today. I was unable to get out of diapers for 14 months post RP. Now I’m back in regular underwear with a pad for sneezes and lifting heavy things. I still dribble a little bit at work if I’m on my feet a lot. Overall I’m happy with the results. I would still do it again. If you have specific questions please ask I’d be happy to try to answer them.
Boomer59

Congratulations, and thanks for responding so quickly. I'm anxious 1) because after RP, radiation and hormone therapy in 2020 I'm reluctant to have another procedure. 2) I'm in France where I know there is some of the best medical care in the world, but id sure be more comfortable in NYC.

But it is helpful to hear about your positive results. Did you experience much pain immediately after?

As I’m sure you have read most people who have had the procedure don’t describe it as that uncomfortable. I have had no radiation either. My experience was that I had more discomfort with the AUS than I did with the RP. The perineal incision was not bad, the small abdominal incision was a bit more sore but also not too painful. Where most of my discomfort was located was where they tunneled the tubing from the abdominal incision to my scrotum for the placement of the pump device. This was along the right side of my groin. I also had more scrotal swelling and pain than I expected. It was pretty sore but not so much that I wasn’t able to walk or do things while healing. I didn’t take any pain medication other than Tylenol or Advil but these were not really effective. At week two post op my surgeon wrote me a script for gabapentin which worked great. I’m two months out and pretty much back to normal. Ice and athletic supporters will be your best friends for a couple weeks in my opinion.
Again my experience was that it was more uncomfortable than I was led to believe based on other posts here.
Also I have a decent sized varicocele in the left testicle which may have contributed to the pain.
All said I’d still do it all over again. Putting on regular underwear again after 14 months in diapers was a very nice feeling.
Hope this helps.
Boomer59

Mjloft
Also if you can go to a provider who does a lot of these procedures. In the Eastern US I had Sloan Kettering in NY, Duke in North Carolina, and Fox Chase in Philadelphia near where I live as choices.
Boomer59

I also had the procedure done in April this year. Pretty much the same results as Boomer59 but a little less pain, I didn’t take any pain meds prescribed because they were narcotics. Just took Tylenol maybe 3 times.
The best thing was after the doctor activated it I stopped dripping immediately. I was reluctant to getting rid of my depend diaper and pad, because I couldn’t believe I wouldn’t drip. I can tell you I wear boxers again with a light pad that I really don’t need but use just in case! This will be the best thing you’ll ever do for peace of mind. Good luck to you. Let us know how you make out. I’ll be praying for you.

Due to a bout with Covid, I'm just now feeling well enough to reply to mjloft regarding the AUS procedure and outcome. Unfortunately, in my case, the procedure was a failure. Right after the AUS was activated I began feeling pain. As it turned out later the source was, apparently, at the cuff/urethra site.

While the AUS worked "as advertised" and briefly was a life changer, the pain upon urination became so severe over the months, accompanied by leakage, that a intra-urethral probe was used to examine the area. It was found that the cuff eroded an opening into the urethra, causing the leakage, pain and the beginning of an infection. The AUS, and all it's related components, were removed the next day and the damage sutured closed.

It appeared to the surgeon that, since I had radiation treatment some years before, the urethra was weakened and easily damaged by the cuff.

This last procedure was done 2 months ago and I'm still in recovery. The repair should have resolved within a month but, after a leakage test was performed, it was found to still be leaking from the site.

There have been other complications with the catheter which have made the road to recovery quite bumpy. I'm hoping the next leakage test to be performed in a week will yield better results.

Based upon my experience as well as the surgeon's findings, I think it wise to do your due diligence while researching this procedure, especially if you have a history of radiation treatments.

History:

Robotic Prostatectomy 5-2011
Radiation 2016
AUS Installed 12-2022
AUS Removed 8-2023

Update from post op visit
I met with the surgeon Tuesday morning last week and he feels that I should be experiencing less leakage so I am going to undergo a revision and smaller “tighter” cuff placement. I’ve been still needing 4-5 pads a day but out of diapers. This will occur on Jan 8. While nervous because “ the enemy of good is better “ the possibility of being leakage free is just too tantalizing to pass on. Just a small incision in perineum behind scrotum. I’ll keep everyone posted.
Boomer59

I am having this procedure January 9. I am 70 and had the RP 2 years ago, went thru pelvic floor 2x's. I need heavy pads and go thru 5-8 per day depending on how active I am. I never had any radiation. I am praying this will make my active life a lot easier.

I have a good variety of ice packs to use. I am thinking the post-op experience may be a bit like the aftermath of an inguinal hernia surgery?

I saw the recommendation for athletic supporters. I have several pairs of compression boxers. Do you think those would work or should I order some old school Bike supporters?

Any other suggestions of things I should do to prepare?

I will let y'all know how it goes.

GaDawg, put your mind at ease, I had AUS surgery in April and I didn’t need any of those things you mentioned. I did take maybe 2 of the pain meds. I was back at work after about a week. After 6 weeks AUS was activated then I became a happy man again. I used to wear a depends brief with several heavy pads per day. Now I wear just a light pad in my boxers for the day just in case I have a drip. I can do without one. So my friend go for it you will be happy. You’ll he’s a lot of support here. Good luck.

Update. I one week out from my revision of the AUS and I can say I’m thrilled with the results. I’m completely dry unless I lift heavy weight or such. During normal activity I have no leakage issues at all. The revision was easy as I was just a bit sore but I can finally say that I see why the procedure has fans. Starting to feel normal again.
Boomer