Are kegels for ever?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi there, I did 3 sets of kegel exercises twice a day for a couple of months before my prostatectomy robotic surgery, and have carried on with them afterwards. It's now almost 6 months since my catheter was removed and after a tough few weeks things gradually improved. I'm now going the entire day without any pads, completely fine, and boy is it good. My question is do I have to carry on doing kegel exercises or can I drop them now? What have some of you guys done after things have improved back to 'normal'? Thanks.

I stopped doing them after I became dry, of I start having the slightest leakage again, I will restart them.

You have to keep doing them. The myscle is no different than a bicep in that if you’re not training it, it’s not going to work as well, be as strong.

“I'm now going the entire day without any pads, completely fine, and boy is it good“

That is awesome! Good job. I hope to be there someday!

Congrats!! How many per set did you do? I'm over 2 years past my surgery,but still leaking, using pads and a Weisner clamp.

Hi perrynol1, I did 10 kegels for each set, and 3 sets twice a day, so a total of 60 kegels. I also added what are known as 'quick flicks' as well. I do know that we're all different and there's no fixed time for getting to where you need to be. Hang in the mate, and don't give up on seeing improvements ongoing...I always said to myself leaking a bit is much better than having cancer....it's all about perspective ;o)

One of my sons was in 6th grade and started in band. He picked the clarinet. He was complaining that his cheek muscles got tired to fast.i told him to flex them a certain way. I did it when I played the clarinet. But I said it's called kegals. He did it and even went to class and told his band teacher he has been doing kegals to make his mouth stronger. The teacher died laughing. Then explained what kegals were. My son came home mad at me for some reason. Lol.

Hi Steven, I totally see the analogy of the biceps example, except some folks, Gkimp for example above, appear to be doing fine without continued kegels, and although a bicep will get stronger with continual exercise, it doesn't become totally useless if it's just used in a more normal way....I'll do whatever it takes to stay at the level I'm at, but I was thinking folks on here, who've been there, done that, might lead to a more definitive answer...if there is such a thing ;0)

Hi @Steven1980, Geeee I wonder why your son came home mad at you???:O :O That was a good story and I would like to have been a fly on the wall when the teacher explained what kegels really were! :D And seeing your son's reaction would have been priceless!

This also depends on the type of incontinence, if you already have a strong pelvic floor muscle then doing kegels isn't beneficial

Thanks for the post, I'm a little over 3 weeks post catheter removal and I did not do Kegels before my robotic prostate surgery. I started with 4 sets of 20 5 second Kegels after catheter removal and started seeing some improvement so I upped to 10 second Kegels and added a 5th set a few days ago. Apparently that was too much as I regressed that last couple of days. Thinking I had over done things I have not done any today and have seen a lot of improvement. Think I'll go back to 4 sets of 20 4 second Kegels tomorrow and see where that takes me.

Or if anyone has any better ideas let me know!

@Shellknobcat that's normal, I had good days and then some bad ones. I started comparing one week to the past week. In addition to Kegels I walked a lot, started 2-4 times a day .5 miles each time and increased once a week. Pretty wet at first, but saw a lot of progress. Totally dry after about 10-12 weeks. I stopped Kagles, but I continue to walk.

Seems like exercise in general helps. Except the docs - and my risk for kidney stones - makes me try to stay hydrated. I can get into a physical job and be oblivious to the time. As a rule of thumb, pay attention to the color - darker means lack of hydration.

Alright now, @Steven1980! :D:D:D All kidding aside, that is definitely sage advice! There are urban legends, you've probably heard them, of guys who live in places where trains are electric (like Philadelphia, NYC, Washington and Boston nowadays) getting drunk and well, y'know, just letting loose and the stream hits the overhead wire or third rail and that's the last time they get drunk or even do anything else for that matter!:O

You can get zapped for sure. I've peed on an electric fence. Fortunately, you cant get a continued currant like a hand on a wire unless the currant is strong enough because the pee stream is not solid. It is droplets. Slow motion will show that. Unfortunately, urine is salty. A good conductor.

Yes, all the more reason not to water anything electrical especially an electric train wire which are good for multiple unit rail cars but not so good for humans!:O