Anyone have luck with medications?

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone here had any consistent results with using medications for incontinence? I just recently started dealing with this issue and ideally want to avoid diapers. But I guess even that would be better than changing sheets and washing every morning.

Thanks

i have been using oxybutynin for 3 and a half weeks and i think my problem is getting worse. and i have both urinary and fecal so if i stop one, i still have the other. maybe it does not make sense to use the med for me. i don’t really like using medication anyway.

sorry this is not what you were looking for. i am sort of resigned to wearing the protective underwear long term. i know i am so far from losing my incontinence.

I have had no success with oral medications but great success with Botox injections into the bladder.

I don't even have a definite diagnosis much less treatment for it. I'm taking so much other medication for all my other issues, that diapers seem to be the better option.

I think my issue is related to the muscles controlling the bladder and bowel. I should probably try Kegels, but I'm focusing on other health issues right now.

Medications never worked for me since my incontinence was found out to be neurogenic. Therefore; full time diapers for me.

Thanks for you honest answers everyone. I would rather not stock too much faith on the pills if they won't work. My own incontinence comes from either my psych meds or my sleep disorder. Probably both though because I still get some leakage even on nights I have the CPAP mask on for the full night. I just had been hoping it would go away on its own. I will talk to my primary health provider about it on Friday

Pbk123 that sounds interesting. I will look up that treatment and talk to my doctors about it if the pills fail me. It seems to be a rare treatment, why would that be?

I had no success with medications, but my friend had complete success with botox injections in the bladder.

Regarding Kegels: Best to see a urogynecological physical therapist if possible, who can recommend exercises. Mine told me that Kegels only made my incontinence worse, and gave me different exercises.

I have tried most of the medications, they all did something positive, but they all gave me side effects that I couldn't cope with. Phil

Thanks for the input friends. Did the medications completely clear up symptoms for any of you ? Or was it only partially effective?

For me it just helps with bladder spasms. It used to help allot when I first started taking it. Was nice to just wear a depend guard back then.
I am going to make another appt to go see urologist again and see what else is available to try. I know there are allot of options now. Mainly have to do what I can keep in budget...or at the moment lack of lol.
On way to work. Have a nice day everyone
Jom

I tried quite a few different medications and never had any luck with them, it’s mostly about management with allot of us on this board, it seems the older we get the worse it gets. Not to be discouraging but to just be pro-active and the sooner you find a way to manage the incontinence the more comfortable you will be all that sooner. Continue to research and look for cures but in the meantime learn how to best manage the leaks that way you can continue to live your life with less worries!! Stay in touch with us too, we’d love to hear how things are going and learn about anything you find out on your journey!! Best of luck and welcome!!

Medications seem to be hit or miss...can work for one person but not another. Plus side effects make them intolerable. Has anyone tried PTNS? Is so, what did you think?

The oxybutinin after a while for me at least causes some weird vision type issues after a week or so. Nothing major just weird I guess.

Thanks jrpoorman , petejc, and jsssscc. I'm just going to try medications and if that doesn't work I'll try getting a botox bladder injection. I'll hope for the best. In time I know I will likely need a diaper. As I have had overactive bladder for a while but only recently started dealing with incontinence. So my condition has gotten worse. And yeah petejc, I'll stay in touch for sure :)

@Yup Best of luck on finding what works for you. Know that even though it can be embarrassing diapers are not the end of the world.

Thanks @Squander. I just also suffer from other embarrassing health problems and would hope I can avoid diapers to add to that. After a while I know I may not have a choice. Til then I will do what I can to avoid it. Thanks for the reassurance though, it is deeply appreciated. All the responses have really helped

I just was using oxybwatchamacallit and just posted that it didn't work. I am diabetic. I don't know if that contributed. I also have mental issues that my urologist may be taking into consideration and might be why he has not returned my calls. That is not right but its a whole issue itself that I don't know how to handle. But urinary is not the only problem I have so I need to wear protective underwear when I go out anyway so I won't be trying meds any more.