Any one familiar with the va pharmact catalog?

Archives1

Staff member
Does anyone known where the list is available online? I couldn’t find it. I was talking with the va pharmacist about getting something better for night. Right now I have attends dermadry advanced briefs. They are okay for day time as I can usually get to change when needed. Night time is night time and I don’t wake up. He said he was familiar with the products. He suggested that I change in the middle of the night. I don’t think he understands how bedwetting works. Haha Beyond setting an alarm, it’s a joy. I’m also a bonafide insomniac, so when I’m out, I’m out; alarms be damned. I don’t think he’s lying, more that he used a key word search of severe that kept showing the attends. I suspect he knows all the really common products well. I prefer to wake up to a contained event and not with the underpad being wet too; at least not most days. Yes, I control my drinking before bed. I’m just not in a position to spend any extra money right now and a case of the good stuff, so to speak, just isn’t a budget. Thanks

There are a number of veterans here but that question is something a computer expert like Squander might be able to research? If he can get to that type of file?
In the meantime perhaps approach thecompanies that sell the heavy hitter products northshore for instance and ask if they have any vetran discount and can send samples of the briefs you want to try.
I myself use a bed pad and also have dedicated bath yowels that I put in a lengthwise between legs and as a side sleeper as i turn it creates a leak guard cocoon. Ues, have to launder pad and towel daily.
I found the hardest thing is self acceptance waking wet, even with a diaper one is aware, as i sleep deeply.
Programing myself to accept that its its okay its just okay is the way ive been able to cope with insomnia relating to fear of peeing.
For what its worth, i will comment elsewhere, if i sleep in a reclining chair or propped on pillows to a tilt i dont pee sleeping at night. I usually can do this between 1130pm to 7 or 8 am. I suspect it has something to do with spine or pelvis angle. As my problem came 6 months after a terrible fall.
It has taken me some couple years to accept adult bedwetting at night it didnt happen instantly.
Best wishes as always.

I did find this online:

https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/adult-diapers/financial-assistance.html

"Veterans' Administration (VA) Health Care

The VA is one 3rd party that provides help. While the VA does pay for adult diapers, many veterans advise caution with regards to the quality. Specifically, the standard issued brand of adult diapers is not considered to be of high quality. However, if a veteran has a preferred brand, such as Attends, Depend, Prevail, Tena or Tranquility, it is possible to have those paid for by the VA. However, a physician prescription or statement of medical justification that explains the medical reasons for which a particular brand of adult diaper is required is necessary."

I can certainly understand your frustration in searching for a catalog, there were many sites with very little information. Perhaps you could find a supplier like NorthShore to work with you & the VA to find a solution. Also maybe a visit to a VA clinic and a talk with a nurse as nurses seem to have more practical knowledge like this.

Good Luck!

Hi Soyea, from what i know of over the counter brands Tena was best if you have to go that route via VA

soyeahandthat - call xp medical. i just made a call for you and they said they supply the va with incontinence products.

I have gotten crummy quality products from the VA. However I was able to get tranquility atn from them. Not the beat but better then the cheap quality options.

Check out the thread titled “Veterans”. Some good info there about VA supplies.

Short story is that in my experience the Demadrys were the very best the VA had to offer. However, they are made significantly better and more effective with the addition of DoubleDry boosters which the VA also provided. Eventually, after meeting with the pharmacist a few times and trying & failing all the products that their formulary had to offer, they now provide me what I need. My premium diapers are non-formulary but 100% covered by the VA