Any ideas

Archives1

Staff member
I have been taking full dose ciprofloxacin for two months to keep infection away. At the weekend my doctor said I would have to swap to low dose trimethoprim to avoid developing resistance. You can probably guess what has happened, I have all the signs of an infection again after only three days. I have to keep using catheters as my bladder is still under the influence of Botox. I don't know what to do for the best. It is looking like I will have to go back to painful spasms at random times and full bladder loss to avoid infection or a bladder augmentation that could result in needing catheters for the rest of my life. Sorry I know there isn't much you can say, but it feels better to write it down, Phil

Sounds like you’d be better off having the urologist flush out your bladder and insert a Foley catheter in a steril environment.

@physlink has the underlying cause of your infection been determined? Sometimes infections can hide out and doctors can do procedures to physically get rid of it.

Cipro is pretty powerful if I remember, I took it once and the side effects were too much for me.

@Squander with bouts of prostatitis every few years for the past 30 years, I have had ciprofloxacin quite a few times. It can mess up digestion a bit, cheers, Phil

Hi Phil. I don't know about all this but i do know my daughter had 2 very strong antibiotics one after another to treat a stomach infection and it really messed up her belly, diharrea and osin in bowels. She was sdvised go take active culture probiotics sold as a tablet in this country the brand Cullturelle and drink Kumbacha a fermented health drink.
Im just sharing in case it helps with the cipro effect.
Sending you best wishes for comfort and healing. May

I had trouble with infections when i used catheters. I had a flush several times, maybe like Spaz mentioned. They would push saline into my bladder to wash it out. Then a foley was left in to keep my bladder drained. Now that I dont need catheters I dont have the infections anymore. I hope you can get the infections under control soon. The antibiotics I took for the bladder infections was hard on my digestion system.

Hi Physlink and others.When my incontinence started had a lot of uti,s and on top of this several cases of prostatitis took antibiotics which is rough on your belly.Hope you ge well.

Physlink: You told me several things i didn't know and were glad to learn - sort of. My doctor/urologist wasn't happy about Botox - didn't tell me why. Now I'm even less interested in it. Another doctor offered it for a different condition. Likewise for ciprofloxacin. Though i have avoided infection, it emphasizes to do everything possible to avoid them.
We are all hanging in there hoping for some kind of drug or device that works right.