Any Experience with Artificial Urinary Sphinctor or Sling?

Archives1

Staff member
I had a "nerve sparing" radical prostatectomy on December 2,2019 and despite 22 months of pelvic floor physical therapy I still leak. Fortunately, I am dry at night but leak during the day. Did anyone have a similar situation and tried an artificial urinary sphinctor or sling?

Thanks in advance for sharing.

I am 74, male, had the AUS surgery in early July 2021. Not a pleasant surgery to recover from because the cuts are in very delicate areas. 6 weeks later the doctor activated the devise. I was leaking about 20oz per day before surgery, and now less than 1 oz/day. Basically I only leak when I exercise hard (not walking), sneeze, cough or sit on a hard surface and the pressure pushes out urine. If I sit on a pad, then no leaks. I wear a very light pad during my work day, and my quality life has been restored. Best thing I ever did. Believe me squeezing the little pump inside your scrotum when you have to urinate is no big deal. I will definitely do this again when the device wears out.

Thats my experience.

I did the sling. Leaked about 1/4 oz per 24 hrs before procedure. Now I do not wear a pad and only have a dribble now and then. Full 6 to 8 wks for recovery but glad I did it. Incontinence messes with your self esteem in a big way. No reason to suffer needlessly if there is a procedure that will work for you.

Thanks for sharing. Where did you get the sling surgery? Did your medical insurance cover the cost? Also, did your technique use the bone screws or another procedure? Thanks again!

Can artificial sphinctor surgeries be done for women also? I know of someone who has had the sling procedure done but am not in contact with them anymore.

I'm super nervous about the male sling procedure as it uses the same mesh that has been shown to have catastrophic results in female patients.

I'm aware that the experts say that mesh is perfectly safe when put into men. And I'm aware that experts said that to women too before they found out they were wrong.

I guess it comes down to the old question ... "are you feeling lucky"

Me? Not so much.

Phil6003 said:
I'm super nervous about the male sling procedure as it uses the same mesh that has been shown to have catastrophic results in female patients.

I'm aware that the experts say that mesh is perfectly safe when put into men. And I'm aware that experts said that to women too before they found out they were wrong.

I guess it comes down to the old question ... "are you feeling lucky"

Me? Not so much.

Its scary how much risk each surgery can create and it appears nobody is warned of issues.

sorry to hear about your ongoing leakage. i have had the Artificial Urinary Sphincter for four years now and it works great!! if you want to chat more about it feel free to call me at (602) 689-3771.