Another option

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone, I’m a female, 62 years and always had a weak bladder. Often leaking when laughing and coughing hard.

I’ve had a hysterectomy, prolapse surgery and two failed sling procedures. Since these procedures my incontinence has gotten worse.

The first sling should have cured the incontinence but I was leaking soon after, Botox was tried but failed as well.

The 2nd sling was to tighten the urethra and I’d be using a catheter from then on. This worked for about 3 days, then I was able to urinate by myself and control it for about another 3 days, I was almost normal. After that, the leaking came back.

These two procedures were done at Stanford Hospital in California.

I went looking for a 2nd opinion at UCSF in San Francisco. My doctor recommended an adjustable sling called TRT Remeex Adjustable Sling. It’s new to me, the sling is put in place, you come back in two days to have it adjusted externally without going thru another operation.

Sounds too easy?? It makes sense to me since my two slings were put in place permanently for good or worse but this one can be adjusted any time after, even years after. They also have this for men.

I’ve accepted my situation with the diets and multiple pads daily but I haven’t stopped looking into way to improve my life.

My question is, has anyone heard of or had an adjustable sling? My procedure is coming up in later March.

Thanks,

I read the link you provided, That sounds really interesting! I have never heard of it before but really hoping there are others on here who have.

I usually read almost all the postings on here but rarely comment (unless you have UI and you’re residing in a wet tent). I have a long history of bladder cancer and also had a prostatectomy last year. Needless to say I have severe UI and keep the diaper industry well employed. So I am very interested in the adjustable sling that you mention here and would like to hear more about it as it sounds promising. I am scheduled for the Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS) Surgery in June but not completely sold on it yet. I was already scheduled for the surgery in November, 2018 but chickened out and canceled. One of my doctor friends told me to hold out, that one day there will be a fix to UI and will be a great technological breakthrough. I have tried almost everything and so far nothing works. Thanks for posting your information.

Phil

Hey Phil,

I’ve had a lot of nerve damage to my urethra due to my previous operations and all but gave up hope, however my primary doctor gave me a referral to UCSF. He said there has to be something else they can do.

I followed up and was expecting the same answers I heard before but my UCSF doctor said this type of sling should work for me. He looked up the video online and we reviewed the video in the office. To me, it makes sense to adjust the sling real time to the proper tension. I still have my guard up from my previous failures but have a sliver of light. My operation is later in March and hoping for the best.

Good luck on your search.

On the website there’s a video to explain the operation for a male, there’s also more videos that are a little more graphic and detailed on the same page. (click the “videos” link)