Air Travel advice flying in Diapers

So,if you have loose diapers in your carry on and when it goes through the scanner, will they single you out in order to check the diapers for anything? I guess you couldn't have a full diaper bag of sorts with wipes, powders, creams, etc.

I also have psoriasis and was able to get thru tsa on many occasions with large (16 or 20 oz) containers of Cepiphil cream. When questioned I pointed to the patched on my forearm and said “I have psoriasis and need it” sometimes they asked me to step into a private room where I took the cap off and showed them the contents. Once or twice I even rubbed a little on my hand to prove it was what I said, and I was find.

Edit pro tip try to travel with new in package / seal in tact products like creams. They really appreciate that because the agents can make a super fast judgment call.

During all of these TSA hassles and private rooms, a person could easily miss their flight, and I’m sure TSA wouldn’t reimburse or compensate for that.

Go early. That’s all there is to it. It freaking sucks but that’s what it is. As I said in another post on this topic, if you want movement call your federal reps, esp any senators or rep that happens to be on the Hkmeland Security committee.

Hi @Newbie2this, actually $100 for four years is not unreasonable at all! Only $25 a year and that is comparative chicken feed. And I like y our advice to travel with creams and ointments etc. in new sealed packs. And go early is very sage advice too! After all, the plane isn't going to wait for you!

The problem is you can’t predict how early you need to go when you’re going to be screened in a separate room and have all your clothing removed and your testicles inspected. How many hours should one plan for that kind of hassle?

Even if the pass “only” costs $100, it’s still not right that people who can afford that don’t have to get inspected as thoroughly as poor people. So only poor people bomb planes? There’s no logic to the pass.

Again, what about loose diapers in your carry on when you go through security? Would there be any problems with that?

In 2018, somebody on the forum made a post that he’d had a problem with flying with individual diapers in carry-on luggage, and was told he had to put them in checked luggage, or bring an unopened package of diapers. I’ve tried and tried to find that post, but have been unable to locate it. I’ve searched flying, fly, flight, airline, TSA, et al. No results going back to 2018. He, and others, had quite a lot to say about it, and discussed encounters with airport security in other countries as well.

I tried to Google all the major airlines to see if they had a chat function on their website so I could pose that question. To no avail.

It’s up to TSA, not the airlines. And as we’ve discussed, different TSA agents interpret and enforce the same TSA policies differently. I don’t think you’ll get a firm answer on this one.

TSA... is that the Testicle Screening Administration? 😳
Do we have to pay extra or is that part of the first class seats?

Hope I made someone smile

Between the lousy pay and the lousy working conditions, not to mention a parade of scared and/or hostile people, not sure what else to expect. I've only flown a few times when the lines didn't stretch out for continuous screenings. It must be a grind.
I worked with the public, but not on that scale! We would have been fired.
I was able to observe a small, isolated, sort of "rural" airport when TSA came in, and happened to know some of them. (Small town with no road system for "out-of-towners" to be hired.) It was deemed an Emergency, and was. Really. One person hired had been caught and fired for lying to the Feds (and forgery)from a job requiring oversight by the Feds - and then the Feds hired that person back!
Since then, near as I can see, there are now some standards. Not very good standards, and not good enough training, but some standards.
None of that excuses what's going on, but consider the source. We vote for the people who fund, and are in charge at, TSA.
When one major airport that was at the change-over between old scanners and new, but hadn't gotten them, the TSA agents I met were actually apologetic about the need to do pat-downs.
I just try not to grit my teeth and be polite - and do my due diligence when I vote.
Be safe - which has so many multiple meanings, today.

Hey Jim, good one! Testicle Screening Administration!!! Indeed!
I think you have to pay extra if you're on one of those flights where everything is paid for a la carte, like check bags, window seat, beverage, meal or snack or whatever. For first class the testicle screening is included in the ticket price.
Hi @snow, I do see your point that there is no logic to the pass. I can see where you wonder if only poor people bomb planes. Someone of means can just as easily bring a plane down as someone less well-off. But playing devil's advocate here, the only justification for such a pass would be for frequent flyers who take a lot of business trips during a year. If that were me, would I buy it? I truly don't know, can't say for sure. But since I don't fly frequently at all, I wouldn't be inclined to spring for such a pass if I fly only once every year or two or three.

Good one, Jim!
I have one of those "pre-check" IDs from TSA, got it when the first came out, as I was traveling often and the lines were long. While it does speed things up (Mostly), and it's nice to usually not have to take the shoes off, sometimes not even have to take the portable computer out, i wonder about it. 1st one was $100, took the on-line questionaire (they knew things about me I had forgotten - a real eye-opener,) and you had to go to one of the few airports where they did the interview and lecture, and took your picture.
The first renewal was different, last year. It's cheaper, now, but - get this - you fill out the form, send the money, and it comes back in the mail. They used the old picture! Well, my bald-spot's bigger and doesn't rustle....

Hi all,

I've got a few thoughts on this topic. I am sorry and recognize that not everyone has had the experience that I have had with TSA and flying while wearing protection under my pants and boxers.

For me I have not had any issues with TSA and my protection. If I am going on a more than short flight I will wear a pair of RealFits under my boxers just in case I fall asleep on the flight and potentially have a bedwetting, or seat wetting in this case, accident.

I know that Real Fits pull-ups are not the same as full incontinence 'diaper' protection so I am not saying that heavier protection might cause alerts since I do not know.

It was seven years ago that I posted here asking for advise on wearing protection for a long flight. At the time I was taking an over seas flight of 9+ hours and was concerned I would for sure fall asleep and possible wet myself due to being over tires and the stress of travel. Most that replied said best advise was to go through TSA with dry protection on. As a bedwetter that was not going to be an issue. I did get the TSA medical card PDF as mention earlier and filled it out with a statement to the effect that I wore protection for bedwetting in case of falling asleep on the plane. I was able to keep it on my person to present if asked but have never had to show it yet.

As to TSA I have not had a bad experience going through the check. I do think as some have said that it has a lot to do with attitude on both sides. I've been random checked and it was very easy and I was on my way. I've also been stopped for a few questions once when I went through the check Sith visible sweat on my forehead. The agent asked be if I was nervous and I said not, just excited to go to San Diego and that I had just walked from the far out lot in the heat and 90+ humidity. He laughed and sent me on my way.

I know my experience is not everyone's experience and some of you have had experiences personally that were not good. Just officering my thoughts and insight on how I have managed TSA.

Hi@billliveshere, sad but true rich people should get screened just like the rest of us!. I have such good memories on those old jets. I remember when I was little, my parents took me on vacation overseas and flew in a Douglas dc-8 60 series and wow that jet just pushed me into my seat on take and oh did those pratt and whitney jet engines scream their hearts out.

Hi @Jaytee, an excellent post and your experiences with TSA may reflect the majority, or at least I hope it does! But you are 1000 percent right in what you said about a lot "has to do with the attitude on both sides!" Although I have not experienced TSA in years, I still say it's best to approach them with a positive and friendly attitude. Even if the agent you happen to get stuck with is not so friendly at least you won't be supplying him the ammunition to fire away at you! I guess the thing to do is to be polite but business-like and act like you're a professional, kind of like if you get pulled over by a cop.
I like that anecdote about you going through the line with visible sweat and he asked if you were nervous and you said you were excited to go to San Diego and that you had just walked from the far parking lot in 90 degree temps. And that he just laughed and sent you on your way! That should be the more typical experience.

Hi @LiveLifeJR, I think I know the plane you mean, a DC-8 60 series, United Airlines. When I got out of Great Lakes boot camp I flew home on one of them. I was most impressed by the length of the plane, it reminded me of a long pencil(with wings and tail of course). It was a great flight back to Boston and freedom (for two weeks anyway!). But I don't know which was better, flying on a type of plane new to me or just getting out of boot camp!!! :D

My “worst” experience with TSA was over 20 years ago in JFK airport. I was going through customs and subjected to a strip search - down to socks and a wet diaper. I use quotes because it wasn’t that bad. The two agents were very professional and profusely apologetic. They were respectful as possible and I think they were actually more embarrassed than I was over my personal situation. I asked for an explanation and they said I matched the description of a suspected smuggler, but they wouldn’t say what he was snuggling. They went all through my clothes and carryon baggage, searching every nook and cranny. When the situation was over, I saw them as friends and not enemies. A little respect and consideration can go a long way.

That was a nice story, @Jason! It shows that even bureaucrats (or those who work for them) can show some humanity and empathy. After all they found it was the far easier path to take! They knew they had their job to do and you were told why it was happening and it makes it so much better when someone like that is totally "up-front" and honest rather than trying to be secretive and an a__________ about it. All TSA'ers should take a lesson or two from those agents at JFK.
And what a positive ending to see them as friends rather than enemies or someone to be feared!