Acceptance process?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi guys,

So my name is Rory and I am new to this forum. I have moderate cerebral palsy and decided to start wearing protective underwear/pull-ups (as a just in case) and they help with confidence but they feel weird. Does anyone know some tips on how to get used to them and view it as a sign of progression rather than regression? I feel like my quality of life has improved but it feels different.

I wear pull up underwear as well. While they may feel weird at first and you may feel self conscious and think that everyone notices your wearing an incontinence product but they don't. Just be confident wearing them and know that they're there just in case. If people find out, so what!! They probably have bigger problems themselves than just noticing your diapers. I don't see it as regression, I just see it as protection. I used to wet my pants all the time and it wasn't cool. If I wet my pants now, at least I know I have protective underwear or a diaper on in order to make sure it doesn't leak and show on my pants. Then I can just change my underwear or diaper and go about my day.

Hi Rory,
The key might be to finding the brand that is the most comfortable for you specifically.
Personally I have not tried multiple brands so I can’t comment on which ones might be best.
My wife bought me Depends after my surgery so I just stuck with them. I do wear them 27/7 and basically just think of them as disposable underwear. Maybe it just takes time to get used to them.
Good luck. I’m sure some others will have comments.

I wear the "Depends" products as well, and find them to be OK on comfort and very good on reliability. Our local drug store carries the "Shield" and "Guard" models of Depends that I use, but better bargains are available thru Walmart (and probably COSCO and other volume retailers). Good luck - time is the healer of all things!

Abena makes a really soft and better fitting pull up. Might take a look at them but you won't find them at the store. Check out Northshorecare.com or similar.

Hello and welcome
The only ones I know that look like normal underwear are the Depend Real Fit, especially because they are not white, and that makes you feel better. There are grays and blues. If anyone knows of any other brand that meets these characteristics, please inform me.
Thank you.

Welcome to the forum and hope you will get some help here.

I wore underpants over a tabbed pad and tried to go to the toilet normally to begin with and found they are easy to pull down and up again in the toilet so they provided the security I needed with my leaking and post void dribbles. Some prefer plastic backed while some prefer cloth backed feeling. It is a very trial and error thing and some companies will send out free samples for you to try. It also depends how much you leak or void as to the absorbency you will need to look for with incontinence protection.

Also another good tip is to take another with you wherever you go with a spare bag to wrap it in if you get caught short and have to use it. With time it will feel easier having to wear and you just have to incorporate it in your daily living skills. It will be ok.

Have you had tests done to rule out the cause?

Hey guys,

Wow! Thank you for all the replies! I have something called “functional incontinence” which means that my bladder works normally but because of my functional/physical limitations, I may not make it in time if someone else is smoking in the handicap stall or I’m doing an activity where it would be physically difficult to make it to the bathroom and come back without missing a substantial portion of said activity.

I don’t know if this makes sense and I can clarify if need be.

Hi @rdouga1, Glad you're here on the forum. It's a great place with everyone who knows what you're going through and is quick to help. The best thing here is no one is judgmental and no one belittles anyone. I hope that you'll soon begin to enjoy chatting with us and will get to know us.
That said, I prefer the pull-ups and have always found they work for me. At first they may feel, well, different! But after wearing them for awhile you get used to it, just like you would regular underwear.
As for wearing, I always say it's better to have them and not need them than to need them and not have them!
One very important tip is to make sure it's a good fit, especially around the legs. If they are too loose they will leak and then they won't be doing you any good at all! They'll be worthless to you So please take careful measurements. When you buy a package of them do pay attention to the size indicated. Whether you hips or your waist is bigger, that is the size you need to pay attention to. As an example, if your hips are 36 inches and your waist is 34 inches then you'll want the size that accommodates your hips. That will give you the securest fit.
Please note that finding your perfect pull-ups may be a trial and error deal. A lot of online vendors can send you samples. You may have to pay a couple of bucks for shipping but at least that way you can get an idea of what size and what style to wear. These places have sales reps who can advise on size and absorbency. One place that gets a lot of mention here is North Shore, based in the Chicago area. They have a very big variety of styles and types and very knowledgeable sales reps.
I hope our tips here have helped and that you have a good idea of how you want to proceed! Please let us know how you make out!!!

I am glad that you have joined this forum. You will find many people with great ideas and knowledge to help you.

Everyone's experience is unique but the confidence and security that wearing protection gives me made the transition very easy. As with anything new you'll have a learning curve but it shouldn't take long to adapt.

One other tip for going out.
I add a pad inside the diaper when i am going out for any length of time.
And then take a spare pad.
If it gets too wet or uncomfortable then I just change or replace the pad in a public restroom.
I wont let incontinence change my lifestyle without exhausting all of my options.

rdouga1 said:
Hi guys,

So my name is Rory and I am new to this forum. I have moderate cerebral palsy and decided to start wearing protective underwear/pull-ups (as a just in case) and they help with confidence but they feel weird.

Regarding how "they feel weird"... I think it's just a matter of how you look at the whole thing. I've been thru the whole range, starting with Depends pull-ups, to tape-on disposable diapers, to cloth diapers and plastic pants. I look at all of it as just a "tool" to help get on with life. I have found that the older you get, the more "Tools" you might eventually need. I have one friend who now has to have an oxygen bottle attached to his belt, with a tube going into his nose. Another friend walks with a cane. A couple friends have hearing aids. Many of us now wear eye glasses. (Man, what a bunch of broken down old farts, eh??) My "tool", diapers, help me get thru the day with dry pants.

@rdouga1 I understand your condition. Have you tried kegel exercises to strengthen your muscles down there?

Aside from that, I don't know what else might help you. You don't want to drink less or try to hold the urine in your bladder too long for UTI risks.

Have you worked out how many millilitres of urine you usually pass per void? This will help you choose what absorbency to look for in a pad.

I also struggle with cerebral palsy, which contributes to my incontinence. Wearing a diaper or pull-ups for me is just part of the process. Once you get used to them they aren’t bad. Hardest part is overcoming psychological aspect of it. At the end of the day we need what we need. Most people would not notice. If someone notices they most likely won’t say anything. If someone does say something, it is most likely to be kind. Finally if someone doesn’t have it in them to say kind things to you, they are not worth your time anyways.

Very well said, @Mightychi! That sums it up very nicely in a nutshell! I especially like your sentiments that if someone can't be bothered to say nice things to you then they are not even worth your wasting your time with them!!!

Welcome Rory,

I actually was amazed at how much stress was lifted off of my shoulders when I just accepted to wear 24/7. My issues are caused from multiple sclerosis; thankfully I have relapse remitting so I can’t complain. Lol.

And don’t view it as regression but rather to the contrary you are being very smart and solving potential issues by choosing to wear protection.

Cheers. From Jason.