"Able Bodied" and Incontinent - Is it THAT Rare??

Archives1

Staff member
First post here. Over the years, I've experienced what I feel is an odd phenomenon and I'm wondering if any of you can relate: I had a spinal fracture and subsequent fusion when I was in my 20s and, in the process, I suffered nerve damage that persists today. Luckily, I'm ambulatory, in relatively good shape, and not necessarily "visibly injured" apart from a bit of a strange gait and severe atrophy of my calf and hamstring muscles (what remains of them, anyway), which is why you'll never catch me wearing shorts in public..

Anyway, I do struggle with both bowel/bladder continence and I've grown more comfortable simply managing both with diapers over the years. I typically just order online, but occasionally I'll purchase in public. When I do so, often an employee will come over to offer their assistance, which is appreciated, but also not necessary. Often times they'll say things to me like, "does 'the patient' prefer a pullup or tab-style", etc. I can understand that, as they clearly don't have any way of knowing who I'm buying for, and perhaps they're just not trying to make any assumptions or embarrass me. However, often times it goes further than that, as it did yesterday. I was trying to pick up some Tranquility ATNs and the employee randomly brought up my mother, "what does she like", etc. I sort of ignored it at first, but he persisted, continually mentioning her. When I mentioned that I would be using my FSA card to make the purchase, he follows up by saying, "oh, yeah, that should be fine... I mean, even if it's your FSA, you could purchase for your mother and who's going to know?" Finally at that point I flatly stated, "Well these are for me actually" and I think he was embarrassed.

Anyway, I just found it odd, although it's not the first time for this type of thing and I wonder if any of you have experienced anything similar. Is it really that rare for people without obvious physical disabilities to need to buy protection??

(I apologize in advance if my use of the term "able bodied" is offensive to anyone... I'm just trying to refer to folks who seem otherwise healthy to the naked eye and I couldn't think of a better way to phrase it.

Welcome to the forum. Good question by the way. I’m able bodied but have urge incontinence from type 2 diabetes. On the outside, I look like any other man in their 40’s. Average build, average height, but can’t control or predict when my bladder is going to empty. I’ve also had bed wetting my whole life and prior to the type 2, an overactive bladder. I’ve learned to manage it all without notice of others (exempting my wife) and plan to keep things private. I prefer to go on about my life like millions of others.

You’ll find great advice here and a solid community that has tons of resources and wisdom, so please feel free to make the most of it.

There is no shame in incontinence. Its a condition like thousands of other conditions that people have to manage. I am perfectly open about my condition and how it affects me, following radical prostatectomy. I have found that being open, others value it and often they want to talk about the issues they are dealing with.

I would seem to have nothing the matter with me in any way; on the other hand I am an elderly woman and I gather might be more likely to be perceived as having incontinence 'issues'. Anyhow, I have been buying products to help incontinence for years now. I have never had anyone make any comment one way or another about what I buy or who for. The opposite in fact - I have screamed at and lectured more than one pharmacist during a period when a product I was using became unavailable and I couldn't find out why ... (I get really mad when companies decide to redesign or rebrand). I think in your position I might have said (if I had thought of it) 'why do you keep talking about my mother?' o\r 'Why are you making assumptions about who these are for?' But what you said was, obviously, the truth which is always the easiest way to respond; and the assistant shouldn't have been embarrassed. Making assumptions is dangerous and so easy; I do it myself about other things and wish I didn't.

Welcome!

I'm surprised you had some retail person so interested in your purchase!
I just self checkout.
In this group you will find may people of all ages who can be a great support in all areas of living with "alternative underwear"

abigailbear said:
I would seem to have nothing the matter with me in any way; on the other hand I am an elderly woman and I gather might be more likely to be perceived as having incontinence 'issues'. Anyhow, I have been buying products to help incontinence for years now. I have never had anyone make any comment one way or another about what I buy or who for. The opposite in fact - I have screamed at and lectured more than one pharmacist during a period when a product I was using became unavailable and I couldn't find out why ... (I get really mad when companies decide to redesign or rebrand). I think in your position I might have said (if I had thought of it) 'why do you keep talking about my mother?' or 'Why are you making assumptions about who these are for?' But what you said was, obviously, the truth which is always the easiest way to respond; and the assistant shouldn't have been embarrassed. Making assumptions is dangerous and so easy; I do it myself about other things and wish I didn't.

It was tempting to be a bit more defensive about it, but he was really friendly in general so I decided against it. We're all guilty of assuming from time to time, I suppose :)

Totally understood about companies changing their products - one obvious mod is the poly-backed (which I prefer, especially at night time) to cloth-backed.

Maymay941 said:
Welcome!

I'm surprised you had some retail person so interested in your purchase!
I just self checkout.
In this group you will find may people of all ages who can be a great support in all areas of living with "alternative underwear"

I should clarify that I've never had this happen at a CVS, etc. Only when I'm at a medical-supply store...
unfortunately, those seem to be the only places to get a halfway decent diaper (brick and mortar, I mean), especially for nighttime use.

I guess it's possible that personnel at the supply stores are just a little more zealous in general because they're often family-owned or in case the customer is there to buy expensive equipment like a scooter, etc.

I am able bodied and have had similar experiences but I just went along with it instead of correcting and saying it was for me. But then again I have a made up a twin brother that I blame things on around here and it works, people even ask me how he is doing every now and then.

Not really unusual. Lifelong bed wetter and daytime struggles also. Diapers forever at night and opted for 24/7 since 2006. Freed me up from any stress especially during the day. Only slightly inconvenient especially when I’m traveling overseas. Advance planning however makes deliveries of diapers to my destination an easier way to go. I’m fairly private about my condition but open about it when a situation requires

I guess I am able bodied - with mixed incontinence issues - bladder and bowel - in periods. So ranging from no issues to “all” issues. Bowel issues are related to IBD flares, OAB in periods, bedwetting as a youth - and growing frequency lately. I am happy with shopping online - I guess due to the stigma - and the size of the products/volume of boxes - these products are perfect to buy online with home delivery.

Ruhappy said:
I am able bodied and have had similar experiences but I just went along with it instead of correcting and saying it was for me. But then again I have a made up a twin brother that I blame things on around here and it works, people even ask me how he is doing every now and then.

I have had similar experiences with my doctors and with people in general. Been dealing with total urinary incontinence since I was 22 and found the best/easiest way to handle it is by wearing diapers. Is what it is. I have rarely bought the store brands since finding so many better products online, but the few times I have usually nothing is said. I have had a few individuals ask about sizing for the patient/individual when looking at the products in a medical supply store, but otherwise not so much. Most of the time my Dr just can't seem to understand why I would rather manage with the diapers instead of constant cathing (which kept causing UTI), or doing the procedure they really want me to do with the suprapubic catheterization. Which I'm not in any way interested in.

Jetskier said:
Welcome to the forum. Good question by the way. I’m able bodied but have urge incontinence from type 2 diabetes. On the outside, I look like any other man in their 40’s. Average build, average height, but can’t control or predict when my bladder is going to empty. I’ve also had bed wetting my whole life and prior to the type 2, an overactive bladder. I’ve learned to manage it all without notice of others (exempting my wife) and plan to keep things private. I prefer to go on about my life like millions of others.

You’ll find great advice here and a solid community that has tons of resources and wisdom, so please feel free to make the most of it.

I feel like this is the same story of my life!
Mid 40’s, OAB, urge inc getting slightly better with medication. Wet bed 2 - 3 nights a week.
I have type 2 diabetes and wear a cpap for sleep apnea. Don’t have a good nighttime diagnosis yet.
I do everything like I always have with just a little more planning ahead and utilize my wife’s purse on occasion for supplies.

abigailbear said:
I would seem to have nothing the matter with me in any way; on the other hand I am an elderly woman and I gather might be more likely to be perceived as having incontinence 'issues'. Anyhow, I have been buying products to help incontinence for years now. I have never had anyone make any comment one way or another about what I buy or who for. The opposite in fact - I have screamed at and lectured more than one pharmacist during a period when a product I was using became unavailable and I couldn't find out why ... (I get really mad when companies decide to redesign or rebrand). I think in your position I might have said (if I had thought of it) 'why do you keep talking about my mother?' or 'Why are you making assumptions about who these are for?' But what you said was, obviously, the truth which is always the easiest way to respond; and the assistant shouldn't have been embarrassed. Making assumptions is dangerous and so easy; I do it myself about other things and wish I didn't.

and oh how I can relate to this !!

Hi @incopat, It's good to have you join the forum where there is a lot of support and people who say "I know what you're going through," and actually mean it!!
As for me, I order most of my products online but if I need to buy something out on the local economy, I usually go straight to where the products are in the store and zero in on what I want.
If you don't see exactly what you want and a store person looks at you with questioning eyes, just say, "Excuse me, but do you have such and such product in stock? I'm looking for medium (or whatever size you want)."
That way no one wanders over and begins asking questions and they probably assume that you know exactly what you're looking for and at that point the store person will happily ring up the sale and gladly take your money!
In other words, in such a situation it's best to "take the lead" and that way you can forgo having to play "20 questions." I hope this helps everybody contemplating buying their products at a local store!

My urinary incontinence is the result of an unexpected side effect of surgery when I was 14 years old in 1956. I have never been reliably dry at night since that time and also have significant problems with overactive bladder and daytime incontinence if I can't get to a bathroom in a very few minutes when an "urge" arises. However, I've been and still am otherwise able bodied. For many years, I wore cloth diapers and plastic pants which I learned to make for myself. When adult disposables became good enough to rely upon during the daytime, I bought them at first from medical-supply stores until I started ordering diapers online in the 1990s. When buying in person in stores, I've occasionally experienced situations similar to the one you described; and that's one of the major reason why I much prefer to buy diapers online.

I able bodied and have weak bladder and stress incontinence I have had to wear diapers most of my life I very outgoing and it really doesn’t bother me to be in a diaper. At my urologist office one of the technicians also wears diapers and has the same type of incontinence I have so it can happen to anyone

@billliveshere I also buy my products at a local store I shop at a medical supply shop. Thy know and keep my brand of diaper in stock and have other diapers out for samples to try. I’m very open about it no need to hide it anymore

Jayindiapers said:
@billliveshere I also buy my products at a local store I shop at a medical supply shop. Thy know and keep my brand of diaper in stock and have other diapers out for samples to try. I’m very open about it no need to hide it anymore