woman, 43, wet herself after not being allowed access to the toilets

I get trying to protect the employees but if she’s a customer with an issue then they should have let her go. Very disappointed in what happened to her.

It's disgusting that happens to people before I started having incontinence issues I wet myself on a night out as I wasn't allowed into the pub as the bouncer or doorman thought I was drunk and underage.

Hate when that happens, wet pants or worse wet under protection and wet pants are a terrible feeling and so embarrassing

This happened to one of my daughters when she was in her late 20s and pregnant. So embarrassing. Having to clean rooms in my small motel for 10 years took away any hesitation I would have had in letting someone use the business toilet. In fact there were many times, when we operated as the agent of the Trailways Bus Company from the lobby of our 14 room motel, that we let passengers use our private living quarters restroom. What were they to do? There was no bathroom on board buses in those days. And once, in "gratitude" a passenger stole my favorite tube of lipstick from the medicine chest! Oh well!

It's amazing how some places don't even care enough to show even the slightest modicum of humanity to a person in need. It could have been such a simple matter to just say, "Sure, the bathroom is just over here." And that would have been it!
I hope the place's customers boycott the business en masse. And a letter of apology is just a bit too little and too late. I never really liked apologies that really aren't apologies.
And yes, @LiveLifeJR, I'd bet my last dollar that the toilets were working just fine!

Another incident happened when my husband and I were driving from Galveston to Houston, TX via the Beltway and Bill needed to have a BM. He stopped at two stations who wouldn't let him use the toilet. The third one did after he said he's just go in the dirt behind the gas station. Bill got the key and went to the bathroom but there was no toilet paper. He was so angry. He went back into the station and handed the manger a $10 and told him to buy some f...... paper. The guy was so flustered because there were other people in the store and he actually handed Bill a roll of paper. He said he didn't want to take Bill's money but Bill left.

As I recall I did write a letter to the Texas Tourist Bureau. Our main clientele at our Colorado motel were skiers from Texas who we were always accommodating in some form or other. What a crappy way to treat us.

Some places just don't deserve to stay in business! Not keeping bathrooms stocked at all times with toilet paper, soap, etc. is just inexcusable! At the nature center where I volunteer we always keep the bathrooms well stocked with toilet paper, paper towels and soap. And we always clean the bathrooms with Lysol and vacuum and them steam mop. Because guess what? People do have basic human needs and if you don't accommodate that then word gets around!

I've been surprised and distressed by the number of business that have put up signs stating that they've closed their public restrooms. I just got back from a trip I had to take for work, and found that many gas stations along the interstate won't let people use their restrooms. What do they expect people to do?

And especially people in our situation, @ltapilot. After all not everybody comes with a cast iron bladder or a cast iron colon!:O But even so we still have to change, especially on a long trip.

I guess we go back to "the old days" when there were no restaurants and very few gas stations with restrooms. We pulled over to the side of the road, opened the side front and back doors and did our business in between. Cars passing by were not able to see us or didn't pay any attention because that's what people did. This is a subject that the Health people have not addressed in the COVID-19 distress isn't it? What can people do?

That's just crazy. In my recent travels around Florida I didn't notice restrooms being closed. Is that an issue in other parts of the country? I have heard some mention of public restrooms at some parks being closed but not wide spread public use of bathrooms being dined but public or private locations.

Anyone come across this in their area?

When we were trying to visit a few of the Parks in Maryland some had closed the restrooms but had put spot a pots up thankfully.
There were a couple areas we went that public swimming areas had been closed which was a bummer but I guess safer for everyone.