When to change?

Archives1

Staff member
Long time lurker, but trying to figure out where I fall into the mix. Particularly interested in those recovering from a rp.

When do you change your pad/diaper? What’s your overnight product like in the morning? If dry or mostly dry do you continue wearing it during your morning routine?

Almost always soaked waking up so change then. Sometimes not bad and leave it till it is soaked or going out.

My pull-up is dry from over night so I’ll wear it a bit longer depending on my activity level. Got to remember, you may not notice any odor, but others may. Doesn’t matter how long you’ve had it on, if it starts to feel heavy, change!

Hello @bobsmith;

In regards to continence products - any pad that is soiled should be changed after one or two wettings. Any product that is meant for overnight use should be immediately changed in the morning - to keep the skin healthy and hygiene up.

I think many people with continence issues including myself can testify that having a lingering odor is not cool or comfortable - therefore i would always recommend bringing spares when you travel or when your out and about and cannot make it to the facilities.

Anyway; take care - hope this answers your questions.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

Hi Bob, I am 56 days out of surgery, and a dozen less days out of de-catheter status. I stay pretty much dry all night, and am learning to clinch the sphincter before I start to get vertical, which works well for me so that I can comfortably leave the night time pull-up on because it is still dry. I am now getting up only once a night, and am able to close the sphincter all the way to the bathroom, therefore the night time wear does usually last until noon or so. It seems like I am always more successful at staying dry before noon than I am later on...as if the sphincter gets tired or something. The exception to that is when for some reason, (as someone discussed this morning), my condition has become stinky after just a small dribble has occurred, then I it gets changed immediately....I haven't heard anyone talk about the adult diapers that Costco sells. There are 92 in one package, and they cost $44, plus they are so absorbent that they will keep taking on moisture as long as you put it out..which is way way longer than anyone could possibly stand. How do I know you ask? I took two of my teenage grandsons to the river for a swim and forgot that I had them on. (don't ask me how please), The upshot is that the absorbent shorts become as big as a basketball and keep expanding until they explode through the outer fabric they are made of. ( I actually got out of them under the waters surface and go them into a nearby garbage can without anyone detecting what was going on, including my grandsons with whom I was playing catch with in the river.) I hope this is something that everyone can laugh about...God knows we could use a little levity to ease the misery of incontinence.
I hope something of this will be useful to someone out there. Take care

I'm 59 and 7 weeks from my RP, 5 weeks from catheter removal. I change pads 4x a day. Taking pt, but haven't seen much leakage change yet, though my pelvic floor muscles are getting stronger. Overnight I'll wear a pull-up and a pad (one of the four daily ones). I hoping the number of pads I use will go down around the 3-month mark.

fuzzykiwi48 said:
I'm 59 and 7 weeks from my RP, 5 weeks from catheter removal. I change pads 4x a day. Taking pt, but haven't seen much leakage change yet, though my pelvic floor muscles are getting stronger. Overnight I'll wear a pull-up and a pad (one of the four daily ones). I hoping the number of pads I use will go down around the 3-month mark.

Hey @fuzzykiwi48;

I've seen you've gave kudos to my posts. As someone who also suffers from bladder control problems - it's nice to meet you. I fortunately do not suffer from prostate issues; but I've met some really good men on here that do that have seen significant improvement like yourself.

We had a very nice guy from Hawaii a while back share his journey with us. It's good to meet others who share the same struggle that we do.

Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say hello.

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

@Honeeecombs, thanks and hi! Reading posts from members here, including you, have really helped setting expectations, informing me about products, and putting me in a good frame of mind. I hoping to be here for a short while, but in the meantime I'm happy to share my struggles and issues. And help others.

I keep it very simple. Change after morning shower, change at lunch, around 4 and again after my evening shower. I have heavy incon when I sleep so the morning shower is a must and as long as I stay on my usual routine I have minimal issues.
Trial and error is the best way to figure it out.

bobsmith said:
Long time lurker, but trying to figure out where I fall into the mix. Particularly interested in those recovering from a rp.

When do you change your pad/diaper? What’s your overnight product like in the morning? If dry or mostly dry do you continue wearing it during your morning routine?

I’m 20 months post-president. My first 8 months went very well with kegels. I was on a downward trend to only .1 or .2 ounces per day (by weighing the pads)AFTER sessions in the gym. However, four months after RP, i had a measurable PSA (only 0.023) and started salvage radiation and hormone therapy immediately. The radiation caused my daily leakage to rise to 1-1.5 ounces/day, which I thought was terrible. Still, this meant that I would change my pads like underwear (I rarely wore a pull up).

Suddenly, at four months after the end of radiation, the spigot turned on, and I went to 5 ounces/day, then 10, then 20, and at 18 months post-RP, and a year post-radiation, I am at 30-40 ounces per day. That means I mainly wear pull-ups. I get about 10 ounces/pull-up. I leak less at night, so can get 9-12 hours on the nighttime usage, changing in the morning. I get 4-6 hours on the daytime pads, so another 2 to 3 per day. What I cant project is when my pull-ups will leak (at 10+ ounces, using Depends). So I change right before going somewhere. The doctors have determined that I have radiation-induced Overactive Bladder (OAB). It has not responded well to MYRBETRIQ, so today I will get the Botox injections into the bladder. If that doesn’t solve the problem, I will have the Artificial Urinary Sphincter installed.

My case is unique to me, and falls into a very, very small percentage of cases. The good news is my PSA has remained undetectable, and my overall health is excellent. I can essentially do anything I want, but I have to plan to carry extra pads/pull-ups, and find places to change. Hope this helps.

Ricard same situation. Except no botox or artificial spinter. No more surgery for me unless needed. I'm happy. Before rp couldn't pee. I more than happily wear diapers rather than not being able to go

I think it all boils down to how sensitive your skin is. The Continence Team said I should be using fewer products and just changing less frequently but barring the fact that it's a bit uncomfortable due to the added bulk and weight, I'm prone to eczema, which has only gotten worse since LC so if I'm in a wet product for too long my skin will play up.