What’s the best diaper rash treatment for adults?

Archives1

Staff member
Hi everyone,
Hope everyone is having a good March so far.
Since it’s starting to get a little warmer now I wanted to see what people have found as the best way to treat adult diaper rash?
What have you found that works quickly and well for someone who leaks and has a long time between being able to change?
Over the counter suggestions or prescription is fine. Having a difficult time for the last week and Desitin and Vaseline just haven’t knocked it out yet. Would love to hear from everyone since it at some point has probably gotten all of us at least once.
Look forward to the replies. I am sure we will all benefit.
Thanks as always,
Jim in Maryland

I use aquaphor when I actually get a rash.

I use the Johnson and johnson baby oil cream to prevent one from happening. It's in a green tube/bottle. I found it in the pharmacy area of walmart with the baby wipes and lotions they keep there. A two pack of it is about 6 dollars.

Im fighting that now post prostatectomy. Its hard to do and go to work this way, but AIR works best. Underwear holds in moisture. I have used desitin cream alternated with gold bond powder, tho it stings a little. Rule of thumb is if its dry, moisten it and if its wet, dry it. As my has cleared up I used the product that was called for to moisten or wet it as needed. Not all days were the same. AIR helps Big Jim and the Twins better than anything.

I was talking to my Urology PA about incontinence issues, she told me regarding rashes she used Desitan on her children. She said it worked best. Then my PCP told me to use baby Vaseline. Either way, use it at every diaper change

I use several different ways to control my diaper rash. (not at the same time though) generic vaseline from Walmart, generic desitine, from target, and medlineplus remedy, not cheap,but it has a cooling effect. Also try to air dry if you can. Main thing is to keep it as dry as possible. Good luck.

if needed I will use the regular treatments Desitin A+D and others and I use corn starch baby powder with almost every change sometimes going diaper-free to air out and allow the skin to breathe but I do got to be careful going without a diaper it can lead to a mess

horrible name but.. to be honest butt paste actually works well. it's for babies but whatever.. adults too..

To add the full name of what I use to prevent diaper rash is called baby oil cream and it has aloe and vitamin e in it. It's made by johnson and johnson. I also use their medicated powder. It is the bottle that has the yellow teardrop on the front. I'm going to try and upload a picture of the powder as it is supposed to help with "irritated skin" (aka diaper rash).

014ff59f3e216e868b04c970ce910942.jpg

I use lots of Sudocreme to keep rashes to a minimum. Plus I try to ai out after a shower.I just sit on a pad in my dressing gown for about half an hour most evenings.

I use an antifungal cream from north shore diapers and Amazon. If that doesn't work I go to my primary care physician and she cripit for antifungal cream. That usely works and clear up in few days.

Thanks everyone for the responses. Very helpful suggestions and some I have not tried yet. Greatly appreciate the advice.
My urologist put in a prescription cream the was a combination of antifungal and steroid and it seems to be helping. It’s been a painful few days or so. Never been this bad before just glad it’s starting to heal.
Thanks again,
Jim

Does anyone use regular diaper rash ointment- zinc oxide cream? It is available in 2 strengths, and I have found an affordable source for the region strength. I use a lot of it, all the time and it keeps the rash away. If I don't use it, I have problems within 2 or 3 days. On the occasions the regular strength doesn't cure that, I invest in the extra strength, and / or antifungal ointment. I've only had to get a prescription from my doctor something stronger than that once or twice.

This topic keeps reoccurring for good reason. It is a really unfortunate reality for anyone who needs to use a diaper. Even though I only wear protection at night, I have had very sensitive skin my entire life and have had to be vigilant to avoid rashes. Once I started to very liberally use Desitin and Caldescene corn starch powder, I found regular relief. However, as I've mentioned before, I have also had bouts of yeast infections over the years (in one particular area) and my dermatologist gave me a prescription for Vusion cream, which quickly addresses the issue. However, it can't be used on a regular basis.

Im with the of its wet dry it and if its dry soothe it approach.
Use a hair drier to reach creases not hot but warm after bathing for wet spots.
Aloe vera the raw leaf is sold at my food lion super market near the broccoli, slice it and smear the goo for a dry red rash or buy it in skin care aisle but pure aloe vera.
Gold balm powder for damp area rash.

CES97 said:
I've used them all over the years and Calmoseptine works the best by far.
Thanks for your advice, I am developing a bit of what I think is diaper rash or maybe even jock itch. I will try that. You seem to be knowledgeable about all of this, I appreciate your advice.

I am so glad for this thread, I had gotten a pretty bad case of diaper rash which was progressing. I bought some some Boudreaux's Butt Paste and it seems to work very well. The problem with it is that it is very thick and messy. I had to rub it on a good bit of my diaper area and it is hard to wash off your hands after applying it. The rash is much better, but i am wondering if Desitin and others are not as messy.

they all can be a bit messy and some smell better than others it is probably best to wear gloves when applying diaper rash creams because they are so messy