Wetting cured!!!

Archives1

Staff member
My daughter, age 17, has just had 2 surgeries in a week. She had a bladder pacemaker put in. She has high pressure in her bladder, so there was no cure. We've tried everything from meds to accupunture, to alarms. We've had doctors that blamed her for being lazy, constipated, sleeping too deeply, but no one ever checked out the anatomy of her bladder...until her adult doctor. She gave her the option of trying botox in the bladder, but it could over work and she would have to cath herself until it wore off. Not good for 17 yr old senior!!! Then the bladder stimulator was mentioned. That was 3 weeks ago. The first surgery attached wires to her lower spine nerves, a battery pack attached. The last week she had gauze and tape holding things together. She's been dry ever since they 'programmed ' her. Then today, they took off the outside battery pack and buried the wires, and she has a small battery implanted into her butt. This is all below the bikini line! :) This is going to change my daughter's life forever. I highly recommend looking into it. They do it on children as young as 5. They do it on patients who are in wheelchairs. It's life changing.

dedevz,

Congratulations on your daughter's successful surgery. Give her our best, because there are too many of us who wish we could enjoy her success. Every such success is a victory to be savored and celebrated. Hooray!

I wish everyone can have it. Can you not, or do you not have a pressure, spasm problem? No one ever mentioned this to us, nor have I seen it anywhere when researching her problem 7-8 years ago. Most urologist just poo pooed this and never did tests oh her. Finally we found the right doctor, who cared. Not every doctor knows about this surgery. My husband is a family doctor and had never heard of it.....most doctors I have mentioned this to haven't heard of it. So ask every doctor. If they are doing this proceedure on children at Duke, then they must be everywhere. Our insurance paid for most of it.
Good luck to everyone!!!

I do not know what pressure spasms are; however, before my sphincterotomy my bladder would spasm uncontrollably while my sphincter clamped shut, causing intense pain. The sphincterotomy largely ended the pain, even though the spasms continue.

Well, as far as I know, and I'm just a mom....the doctor tested, through a catheter, the pressure of my daughter;s bladder, and showed that she had spasms. The bladder is not getting messages from the brain. The pacemaker is attached to the nerves in the lower back, sends messages to the brain that the bladder is full, or that you need to go. My daughter never got those messages due to the high bladder pressure.