Walking

Walking has been a huge benefit for me in recovery since my prostatectomy in august. I walk 3.5 miles in just under an hour, 5 days/week. Try to do a set of kiegels also during the walk. My understanding is that walking really helps the pelvic floor muscles. Also, it’s just good to get outdoors and get your mind reset! I’m only using pads now and at 1-2 per day. No more pull ups.

Walking has been mention by several members. I contacted my doctor through the patient portal to make sure it was okay to walk. Before surgery, I was walking 2 miles in 35 minutes 3 days a week.

Basically on day 14, I walked a half mile in about 15 minutes.

Remember that you had major surgery - if it feels like you are pulling on any of the incision points, slow down (because pain will follow and you could damage the internal healing). For me, the first several weeks were about movement and doing something to help me heal, not losing weight or gaining muscle. I increased by a quarter mile per week until I was back up to 2 miles a day (usually 6 days a week). Until you reach the 6 week mark, try to keep the speed around 3 mph (a 20 minute mile or slower). I use the free phone app RunKeeper. Since your are in Canada and down here in Houston, TX, it is raining and getting in the 30's, I am going to be using my treadmill.

Start slow and steady so that you can build up whether you were active before or not.

Below are a couple of articles.

Hi @thudson1965, I think I'm one of those members who have talked about walking. I do it daily if possible. And if it isn't as possible on a day I try to get at least some walking in.
It's a low-impact aerobic and it's a relatively easy way to keep fit without feeling you have to pump iron for 50 hours a week. For those recovering from surgery, prostate or any other kind of surgery or from an illness, always talk to your doctor first and see if walking as an exercise can even be recommended in your case. Then start out slowly. Maybe a half mile the first few times and gradually you'll be able to do more distance and build up your stamina. Before you seriously get into this, get in your car and drive a course that you think you might like to walk. That's just to find out how many miles it is and you will have a better idea of what will work.
But the best thing is you get ou9t and get fresh air and that in itself makes you feel good. And you see, hear, and smell so much more than you would by driving somewhere.
As for the incontinence aspect, best thing to do is to figure out the level of protection you would need. Since most of us are coming into colder weather (we even have some of that in Florida!) it may be good to wear more than what you think you might need. And go by the philosophy that it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it!

Swimming may work just as well or better (but ask your doctor about that) and is the lowest impact of all exercise, with intense resistance and amazing perks (though chlorine messes with blonde hair like mine).

Walking has been my savior and at 6 months post op I am back to running 40+ miles per week. I have written about my exp in other posts so I will keep this short- but it is AWESOME and has been my mental and physical savior to get me back to where I am. Swimming is great but wait until your incisions are healed completely. My Dr told me at least 3 months to make sure all was good there. Good luck and keep moving forward

@Mxblues98 For some reason, when people join this forum, it doesn’t occur to them to search for previously posted topics / terms before they post new ones, so we all end up regurgitating the same information repeatedly.

Snow- its's all good-used to this in the other forums I am on. Just offering the option to search info by using my name tag to find other forums and new/old info and inspiration. I am just glad I stumbled upon this forum 5 months ago to see others going through similar circumstances.
Moving forward every day

This is the first thread with "Walking" in the title / subject.

If you do not comment, then you will not see emails.

If you comment and later do not want to see emails, uncheck the "Email Alerts" in the upper right corner.

If you want to follow the topic, but do not have anything worth posting, check the "Email Alerts" in the upper right corner.

I have done the search and it is a lot of useless information to find the desired information.

The new people are new and do not know how things work. Just as most of the subjects have no relation to the contents. When I first joined, I spent 2 days using the website search line searching for topics. It was not until the end of day 2 and 10 hours that I found the forum. I did not even see the Search Magnifying glass until @snow pointed it out.

@thudson1965 I think NAFC needs to enlarge the magnifying glass. As soon as a new user profile is created, that user should get a big alert suggesting that they search previous topics before creating new ones. And crucially, every word in every thread needs to be automatically searchable, not just topic headings. Post content *can* currently be searched, but only if someone tries the advanced search options, which an average user is not likely to do. But there’s nothing we can actually do about this; it’s up to the NAFC.

@snow I agree - NAFC sent me an email, but not much details about searching the forum.

Also the search requires 4 characters so no searching for PSA, AUS, or OAB.

I think as members use the search, their topic subjects have better descriptions.