VA help for incontinence pads ?

Archives1

Staff member
I am a Vietnam vet. I had my prostate removed due to Agent Orange exposure. I am incontinent and have been buying Tena Intimate underwear. Depends did not work very well. I was wondering if anyone get supplies from the VA, are they any good, and how do I about getting them ? Also I am hoping to file a VA claim to get reimbursed for all the pads I have used. Thanks for listening.
Harley

I am not familiar with what they offer in the way of pads. However, a veteran friend of mine gets diapers from the VA, and you have to fight to get a better quality of diapers. He managed to get Attends with waistbands from them, and he still had to double up on those. They were giving him the Kendall Wings diapers, a very poor diaper.

caseywor said:
I am not familiar with what they offer in the way of pads. However, a veteran friend of mine gets diapers from the VA, and you have to fight to get a better quality of diapers. He managed to get Attends with waistbands from them, and he still had to double up on those. They were giving him the Kendall Wings diapers, a very poor diaper.

Thanks Casey. Unfortunately this is what the VA does. The wings are so outdated.

First, we're all different with different needs. Here's what I do. I tried diapers with wings and, with my poor eyesight, always had difficulty with them. So, I switched to a pull-up. I like Depends because their easy to get online (Costco) as well as when I'm traveling, which I'm not doing right now - Thank you Covid-19. I double-up on the number of pads I insert with Depends. Without any pads, I get about 2 hours before I need a change. With two pads (both with their paper backs removed, showing the adhesive), about 3.5 to 5 hours. On a long flight, I'll use three pads, not noticeable since I'm sitting. I was able to fly non-stop from Portland, OR to Hawaii (7 hours). Of course, when I got there, I had to change, but I was able to avoid those incredibly tiny bathrooms on the plane. Also, I've discovered that, because my profession forces time to sit (piano playing), this exerts extra pressure on me, preventing too much leakage. As I said, we're all different, with different needs. Hope this may help someone out there. Stay happy, safe, and healthy.

harley said:
I am a Vietnam vet. I had my prostate removed due to Agent Orange exposure. I am incontinent and have been buying Tena Intimate underwear. Depends did not work very well. I was wondering if anyone get supplies from the VA, are they any good, and how do I about getting them ? Also I am hoping to file a VA claim to get reimbursed for all the pads I have used. Thanks for listening.
Harley

I'm a Vet and I get whatever I want. To start you have to ask your primary care provider and they will reach out to pharmacy and most likely tell you that they don't stock what you're requesting. Then contact a "patient advocate" at your local VA hospital and be extremely descriptive why you need what you're requesting and now I get everything through the VA.
I'm assuming your medical file shows you've been seen at Urology so they can read (from a medical standpoint) why you need protection.

CES97 said:
harley said:
Harley

I'm a Vet and I get whatever I want. To start you have to ask your primary care provider and they will reach out to pharmacy and most likely tell you that they don't stock what you're requesting. Then contact a "patient advocate" at your local VA hospital and be extremely descriptive why you need what you're requesting and now I get everything through the VA.
I'm assuming your medical file shows you've been seen at Urology so they can read (from a medical standpoint) why you need protection.

Thanks for all the info 👍👍