urodynamic & cystocopy

Archives1

Staff member
Tomorrow I will be having another urodynamic study and cystocopy done. This will be the 2nd of these tests in the past couple of months. Supposedly, this time a more detailed imaging process will be used. At my last appointment, I was encouraged to try and self catheterize. I did, but it was a terrible experience...ended up with a uti that was horrible. I have been managing my situation by wearing diapers when necessary. I have become use to this, and can function very well...meds cause numerous side effects, and obviously catheters are not my thing. I'm not sure what these tests will find, but if surgery is necessary, I hope the urologists will let me manage with diapers...lot less invasive in my opinion. I didn't mention that my issues are with bladder diverticulum and an enlarged prostate. My bladder is quite distended, so I don't void as much as I should or as often...not much of a sensation that I need to. I'm wondering if I'm dealing with underactive bladder as apposed to overactive.

Hi, I have a similar issue. And I'm going for the cystoscopy Tuesday. I'm super nervous. Yeah catheters, meds, surgery... Not going to do those I can live with my own bladder management techniques and diapers/pull-ups

I thought the same things until I had exhausted all options - meds, two surgeries (TUIP and spinal surgery), endless cystoscopes, doctor visits. Been to Mayo 4x, four urologists locally, etc.

Very against self cath but I tried it. Haven't had an issue sleeping since. Probably saved my marriage and my life.

Just knowing that I can go to sleep and not have to worry about all the terrible things that happen is amazing. Also, I can exercise without worry, work without having to sprint to the bathroom, etc.

There are ones that are super easy to use. Speedicath by Coloplast are pre-lubricated, discreet and easy. No worries about infections if you just make sure your hands are clean prior. That company even makes "pocket caths" that are about the size and shape of a pencil. Truly a great product.