Types of leaking

Archives1

Staff member
It's early days (5 1/2 weeks post-RP) but have already noticed some slight improvement, namely that where the first 3 or 4 weeks saw uncontrollable spurts of a lot of liquid that I could feel accumulating in the urethra, that already occurs more infrequently now. What still happens, of course, is (an irregular) leaking of smaller quantities of droplets that seem, however, to come directly from the bladder, ie. that I can barely feel accumulating first in the urethra. The outcome from this shift in types of leaking is less total wetting (albeit still far more than I'd like).

My question is whether this pattern is recognisable to you. If I could count on the improvement in droplet leaking happening as relatively quickly as the improvement in urethra spurting did, I'd be delighted. But I fear that it might take a lot lot longer to go from 65% continent to 95% continent than it did going from 0% to 65%. I guess I'm asking what experiences people have had in terms of the linearity of their improvements? Thank you

Sounds like you are making nice strides in improvement. You will see more but don’t expect improvement to be completely linear. You will likely see days or up to a week where you might feel like you are experiencing a set back. This is normal but you really need to look back 30 days or so to recognize improvement. Keep the faith. You are on your way.

I had my prostrated removed back in October of last year. I still have no real control of my bladder. I have tried 2 types of pills to help the bladder control. clamps, and still not much of an improvement. All I hear from my doctors is that it takes time! Getting very frustrated.
I am now looking into Botox.

I'm 70. I had my RP in November. My therapist said 12 weeks is a big date for returning to some continence. Almost exactly at 12 weeks I improved loads to the point where I'm dry at night and a single light pad in the day. However there are still the odd leaks eg in the gym or coughing/sneezing. Keep doing your PFE's every day and improvements will come. Be patient -- any improvement is welcome.
Another factor is coming to terms with it mentally. Getting organised and getting on with your life is a large part of the battle. You've been through a lot and waking up incontinent and impotent is pretty earth shattering regardless of pre-op expectations.

I would say that my improvement was generally linear, but less rapid than yours. As Uf04075 said, you can expect some short setbacks. Some days will be better than others but, seen more broadly, there will be improvement.

You sound like a numbers guy. You might want to do as some of us have, and weigh used pads to get a daily weight. The daily totals over several weeks will tell you a lot. Obviously, that an easier thing to do if you’re a retired guy like me.

Oh, and in response to leakage types, I can’t really say I noticed that. All the best to you.

I have very little leakage at night. During the day is just the opposite. I go through about 3 maxi pads, and 2 depends during the day. That is with wearing a clamp.

I'm at 10 weeks past RP doing my PT excercises each day 2 times. It's been a ride, 9 days after I was admitted because of fluid buildup once admitted and drained it took 3 more weeks for my tempatures to come back to normal, needless to say 1st month I felt terrible and did not do my kegals. In the past 6 weeks I've went from a constant leak to a drip during the day I've went from waking up several times in the middle of the night with the urge to find when I stand up I can't control it and when I make it to the toilet there's just a bit left ive been peeing a the way, to waking up just 2 times to void anywhere from 7 to 10 seconds and holding to make it to the toilet is no problem. I've went from night-time being totally wet down there and using 2 heavy pads, to being dry when I wake and using just 1 pad overnight. I've also went from totally wet all day to being moist im still using 4 pads daily there not full because I change them at the hint of moisture. I still have no control when im standind.
I went from getting up from a laying or sitting position trying desperately to hold only to find leaking with each step to having the ability to hold until I get there

Its been a challenge but I see progress. I encourage you to keep up your PT excercises, they have been working in my situation. All the best to you all.

I am 7 weeks post op and have noticed quite an improvement, with regular kegels. Still some leakage at night but mostly it is the days that I find difficult. Definite improvement but some days need to have two or more heavy pads. I don't understand AlanLondon's observation of direct flow from bladder vs urethral flow. How can this happen unless there is a tear/break in connection of urethra to bladder? Am I missing something? Asking because most of the time I can control the flow but there are times when I do not even feel it coming but definitely the urine flows into the pad!

I would say that progress isn't linear day by day. There are occasional days when things seem worse and for no apparent reason. As others have said it is important to look at the big picture. For that reason I keep a diary and have weighed pads so I can record leakage. It is important also to take account of your activity levels. I am currently 11 months post op and if I was to sit all day in an office type job I would be essentially dry. Today I was building the frame for a garden shed and doing a bit of ploughing on my small holding. From early morning to 5pm I had 7ml leakage. AS I write this I have been seated, having dinner and watching the football on TV - basically dry. However, I know from experience that if I were to go outside and do some heavy work I would probably have leaks. In short, the level of activity and the time of day are important factors. You seem to be making good progress but don't set an unrealistic time frame. At three months I was so stressed as I seemed to have made no progress especially when I read on various websites that many are continent in 3 - 6 months. However, as indicated above I have now improved quite a bit and other websites indicate that many men can take a year to 18 months. My consultant told me 80% will be fully continent, 15% will have some issues which are to quote him "very manageable with pads" and the remaining 5% may need to consider further surgical intervention. The journey can be emotional from time to time due to the well-known side effects but keeping active, enjoying family and not allowing the side effects to define your future all help. Every good wish on your recovery journey.