Type one diabetic with fecal incontinance

Archives1

Staff member
New to the site im 28 years old with type one diabetes having issues with fecal or bowel incontinence. Any advice on management or good diapers would be much appreciated thanks 8).

I don't have bowel incontinence but do have a heavy flow when my bladder releases and I use confidry and Molicare and recently bought some diapers from north shore medical and am very impressed!! Just do your research and find companies that will send samples. Best of luck to you

I have nerve damage and mild fecal incontinence with no urinary problems. I can mostly manage my problem with eating habits and timing, but there are occasions where I wear a brief.

For fecal incontinence The real thick, expensive briefs aren't necessarily your best option. I find briefs like Attends poly or waistband work excellent to hold problems in. Your biggest problem with bowel problems is probably not going to be leakage but odor problems. The best thing I have found to hold the odors in is a lightweight poly brief, plenty of rash cream, and a latex cover over the brief.

The latex brief covers can be hard to find but are usually available on ebay. I can upload a picture if anybody is curious.

If you have total bowel incontinence you may want to talk to your doctor about other options.