Bowel/fecal incontinence

Thank you AlasSouth,
Good advice about Doctors who are not good listeners. I’ve heard of the “Butterfly” and will look into it.
I have a number of friends who have bladder symptoms incontinence and, thanks to diapers, are able to have a close to normal social life. But I know no one with fecal incontinence.

Hi @Christine89, fecal incontinence may be more common than you think. I think people are probably even more reluctant to talk about it than with just urinary incontinence. So please know that you are not alone here and you'd probably be surprised what you may have in common with a lot of people here.
As for the social implications, if I were you I would call up your local hospital and ask to speak to a nurse who specializes in incontinence. That person may have suggestions on how to surmount the social implications of bowel incontinence. Going along those lines it may be well to talk to a wound, ostomy, continence nurse (WOC nurse). After all that's their specialty. And I would not rule out going to a counselor, like a psychologist who may also have some helpful hints.
I wish you good luck and remember, we are still here for you!

thank you billliveshere for the tips. you're right, nurses and, in general, support staff usually have more time to offer such help.
What I've been reading on line on medical research sites is that 1 in 10 women in the U.S. report that they have fecal incontinence. But the research/studies usually say that the number is probably higher and not reported due to embarrassment, denial etc.
I see a Pelvic Floor Physical Therapist who says she has "many patients" but does not have any advice when I ask her. She suggested I go online and find support (and I found this site). When I see my GYN – Pelvic Floor surgeon next month I will try my luck and ask her (and her nurse) about dealing with supporting "tips and tricks" to be able to be out in the world.
I noticed that there is no forum here just for fecal incontinence. I have a number of friends who have bladder incontinence and it has similarities but bowel "accidents" smell, are messy and have much different implications.
I'm glad I found this group and I do appreciate the kindness and tips I've received from those of you who have taken the time to reach out.

Hi, @Christine89 or Winsted or whoever! I sort of surmised that Christine and Winsted may be one and the same! Is that Winsted, Connecticut by any chance???? If so that's in a very scenic area of Connecticut.

I just figured it out. I’ve been using my iPhone for messaging but tonight I used my laptop. And I had used my laptop to go on the forum when I was visiting my son in CT in December. The rest is a mystery — and I’ll “let it be.”

@Christine89 My partner had a fistula and had to put a lot of cream around that area every day. The butterfly pads are best for smearing or stains more than a containment product. I think fecal pads with high leg guards would be a better product to help contain matter. It is so trial and error basis and as a lot of people here have recommended Northshore products, they have really good helpful staff who can best recommend products for your needs.

laalaauk said:
@Christine89 My partner had a fistula and had to put a lot of cream around that area every day. The butterfly pads are best for smearing or stains more than a containment product. I think fecal pads with high leg guards would be a better product to help contain matter. It is so trial and error basis and as a lot of people here have recommended Northshore products, they have really good helpful staff who can best recommend products for your needs.

If you have either bowel or urinary incontinence, get thyself to a pelvic floor therapist. I have spinal necrosis caused by radiation--it's a rare type of spinal cord injury, and for me, it progressed from tinglng in my feet and calves to being in a wheelchair 9 months later. Fortunately, a new neurologist at my hospital recognized it and began treating me. But even before she did, my sister, a retired APN, insisted I start pelvic floor therapy, eventhough I was not incontinent at the time. I did and am so glad I did that as paralysis progressed to the waist. I have had some episodes lately where I was "surprised" by a bowel movement, but for the most part, I have maintained control. I'm 71. You are never too old to get help.