TSA security check and wearing protection??

Archives1

Staff member
Question for those who fly and need protection. What can I expect with TSA (US) and wearing protection through the security check point? I will be doing a long flight in a few weeks and debating of wearing an adult pull-ups under my boxers or putting it on after the security check point. I do not have day issue, only issues with peeing in my sleep. Since I might sleep on this long flight, might be good for me to wear some protection. Just not sure if I should put it on before TSA check or after.

Thanks for your info.

Hi Jaytee

It doesn’t matter they don’t care. They are just there to do their job. As long as you don’t have any metal goods with your protection you will be good. I have travelled many times with protection with no problems. :)

I have traveled extensively through US and Europe airports wearing Depends pullups and it has never been an issue. My only recommendation is to make sure they are relatively dry when going through the security check.

I have had similar experiences traveling a lot in the US. I always wear a relatively ample diaper (Abena Premium) through security and have never been stopped or questioned. I also always make sure it is as dry as possible, changing usually just before I get into line. The reason is that if it is wet, it will be detected by the full body scanners, and while there is nothing illegal or dangerous about a wet diaper, it could be considered more than 3 oz of a liquid/fluid and can't be brought through security, prompting a much more thorough inspection. Even if that's the case, the worst result is a bit longer delay than you were anticipating and perhaps a little embarrassment. There is nothing wrong with traveling padded and nothing illegal about it. I was often pretty nervous when I first started traveling padded, but these days I'm so used to it that I don't think much of it. Try to be relaxed and confident. Being anxious sometimes suggests they need to take a closer look at you...

I have flown quite a bit while thickly padded (Abena L4 or Confidry 24/7). I have always been dry going through TSA and haven’t had any issues. Though I do get pulled aside almost every single time due to body scanner picking up on other surgically implanted medical hardware. Not a big deal but my carry-on always has spare diapers and changing essentials. I was mortified the first time the TSA agent opened my bag and inspected it. They didn’t even blink about it. Now I just don’t fret it. Nothing I can do to change my situation and I’m not doing anything wrong by protecting myself (and others) appropriately.

I just got back from along trip.The tsa never said anything and I had a lot of diapers in my suit case and was wearing one.

Don't forget that security checkpoints extend far beyond airports and the TSA these days. Many government or public buildings, museums, schools, hospitals or large office buildings may well subject those entering to all the rigors of a full body scan, wanding, pat-down, dog sniff, questioning, etc.

Do expect to encounter lesser standards for training and professionalism at these checkpoints when compared to airport TSA procedures. At least, they will be different.

My air passenger mileage in recent years has been nil. I'm more inclined to go by car or train, being just smug enough to NOT feel the need for expedited transit in the skies. Also, a greater amount of privacy is afforded me while moving about via surface transportation. I'll even use sleeping car accommodations on a train at added cost to have more access to my privacy when needed.

But ---

I must point out a few experiences in Washington, D.C. a few years ago while exploring the Smithsonian Museum complex. I encountered manned security checkpoints at public building entry points nearly everywhere. It was really impossible for me to arrive at each entry throughout the day while wearing dry protection each time. Quite a bit different from an airport where there would be restrooms before and after a security checkpoint.

During my stay in the area, I'd leave my hotel early in the morning and carry supplies for the entire day, all the while protected by an Abena + booster + waterproof pants. I got 'detected' entering the Smithsonian and pulled aside often. Yes, I was wet; the only places to change were inside. I did learn to explain my condition in more general 'street' terms to the security people. Some did not know what 'incontinent' meant -- too clinical. A more simple (graphic?) explanation came into play for a universal level of understanding -- something like this: "I can't control my pee and I need to wear adult diapers all the time. I see the doctor about it every few months, etc..." Simple, basic. It is what is, take it or leave it. I was cleared to pass in each time, following the few moments of embarrassment in order to reveal my condition to the museum security person(s)in ways they 'got it'.

I even carried a letter from my doctor explaining this, though his expressions might have been too clinical for easy explanation. I never resorted to showing that letter.

Security today is pervasive and extends far afield of airports. I'd even expect it if pulled over by police for traffic situations.

Just wanted to point out a few of the more unanticipated 'security' invasions of our body space that we might encounter in year 2017 and beyond. Think ahead and don't be taken by surprise.

I'm an airline pilot and I've never had an issue. I've jad my bag searched and they looked at everywhere except where the briefs were. I'm sure they can see it through the xray, and probably dont want to be youtube stars.

I have a knee replacement that always sets off the metal detector when I go through airport security. As a result, I’m usually patted down before being cleared; and that has occasionally led to questions about my padded bottom. However, simply stating that I was wearing an adult diaper was all that was required to be cleared. My carry-on suitcase containing spare diapers has also been examined several times, but nothing has ever been said about finding them.

oakie said:
I have traveled extensively through US and Europe airports wearing Depends pullups and it has never been an issue. My only recommendation is to make sure they are relatively dry when going through the security check.

Thanks for the tip. I should be dry going through check point since I only wet when in deep sleep. So Depends like real fit should be good?

jaredc3 said:
I have had similar experiences traveling a lot in the US. I always wear a relatively ample diaper (Abena Premium) through security and have never been stopped or questioned. I also always make sure it is as dry as possible, changing usually just before I get into line. The reason is that if it is wet, it will be detected by the full body scanners, and while there is nothing illegal or dangerous about a wet diaper, it could be considered more than 3 oz of a liquid/fluid and can't be brought through security, prompting a much more thorough inspection. Even if that's the case, the worst result is a bit longer delay than you were anticipating and perhaps a little embarrassment. There is nothing wrong with traveling padded and nothing illegal about it. I was often pretty nervous when I first started traveling padded, but these days I'm so used to it that I don't think much of it. Try to be relaxed and confident. Being anxious sometimes suggests they need to take a closer look at you...

Thanks for the info. Looks like wearing a pull-ups is no problem, long as it is dry. Thankfully I only bedwet so it should be dry when I arrive at my departing airport. Not so sure, but hopeful, it will be still dry at my arriving airport.

As a bedwetter only, I've never worn protection in public before, only at night when not home. This will be a new experience that I am a bit anxious about.

sport said:
I just got back from along trip.The tsa never said anything and I had a lot of diapers in my suit case and was wearing one.

Promising to hear. Hope my trip, less than a week away, will be uneventful too and dry LOL.

andy1050 said:
Don't forget that security checkpoints extend far beyond airports and the TSA these days. Many government or public buildings, museums, schools, hospitals or large office buildings may well subject those entering to all the rigors of a full body scan, wanding, pat-down, dog sniff, questioning, etc.

Do expect to encounter lesser standards for training and professionalism at these checkpoints when compared to airport TSA procedures. At least, they will be different.

My air passenger mileage in recent years has been nil. I'm more inclined to go by car or train, being just smug enough to NOT feel the need for expedited transit in the skies. Also, a greater amount of privacy is afforded me while moving about via surface transportation. I'll even use sleeping car accommodations on a train at added cost to have more access to my privacy when needed.

But ---

I must point out a few experiences in Washington, D.C. a few years ago while exploring the Smithsonian Museum complex. I encountered manned security checkpoints at public building entry points nearly everywhere. It was really impossible for me to arrive at each entry throughout the day while wearing dry protection each time. Quite a bit different from an airport where there would be restrooms before and after a security checkpoint.

During my stay in the area, I'd leave my hotel early in the morning and carry supplies for the entire day, all the while protected by an Abena + booster + waterproof pants. I got 'detected' entering the Smithsonian and pulled aside often. Yes, I was wet; the only places to change were inside. I did learn to explain my condition in more general 'street' terms to the security people. Some did not know what 'incontinent' meant -- too clinical. A more simple (graphic?) explanation came into play for a universal level of understanding -- something like this: "I can't control my pee and I need to wear adult diapers all the time. I see the doctor about it every few months, etc..." Simple, basic. It is what is, take it or leave it. I was cleared to pass in each time, following the few moments of embarrassment in order to reveal my condition to the museum security person(s)in ways they 'got it'.

I even carried a letter from my doctor explaining this, though his expressions might have been too clinical for easy explanation. I never resorted to showing that letter.

Security today is pervasive and extends far afield of airports. I'd even expect it if pulled over by police for traffic situations.

Just wanted to point out a few of the more unanticipated 'security' invasions of our body space that we might encounter in year 2017 and beyond. Think ahead and don't be taken by surprise.

Sorry about your experience. For me it is just the airport I am concerned about. Debating on wearing a pull-ups or not. Likelihood that I will wet sleeping on the plane is low since I tend to only bedwet when in deep sleep and I don't see that happening. But it is an early early morning cross country flight so not sure.

When I get to my destination and I am sightseeing around I will be wearing my boxers only under my pants since no day issues with wetting.

paace said:
I'm an airline pilot and I've never had an issue. I've jad my bag searched and they looked at everywhere except where the briefs were. I'm sure they can see it through the xray, and probably dont want to be youtube stars.

Good to hear from a Pilot. Thanks.

@inconninmiss

Hummm, wasn't thinking of having any extra pull-ups in my carry on, but maybe one or two would be good just in case to explain I need them for medical issues. Thanks.

BTW what got me thinking about this was the post "Do you ever"... to which I replied...

"I never had issues with wetting myself during 'naps'. I pretty much have to be in an all night deep sleep to wet the bed.

However one funny incident did happen once. I was traveling with my wife and a very good friend. We had a red eye flight back from the west to east coast (US). I forced myself to stay awake on the plane during the flight since I was only wearing my boxers under my pants. Wife suggested I wear an adult pull-ups just in case, but I was a grown man. No need for that. LOL.

So I dozed a few times, but no deep full sleep. Plane landed for a connecting flight around 4 a.m. YEAH. I kept it dry for the flight. Waited for connecting flight and wife suggested I might want to go to the restroom and put that pull-ups on for the next flight. I had on in my carry on thinking I might put it on after passing through TSA check but never did. I told her, its a shorter flight and I'll pee before boarding. She reminded me that I had been up for almost 24 hours by then and that I tend to wet in my sleep more when over tired or stressed (true statement). I, macho man, again said no I'd be good and no worries.

We boarded the next and final flight and I was still just wearing my boxers under my pants, pull-ups was in my carry on still. Took off and was very sleepy, but I managed to stay awake for most of the flight. Dozed a few times but never deep full sleep. Woke once not sure LOL was trying to descreatly check my pants for dryness LOL. Thankfully we landed and my boxers, pants, and seat were total dry. Whew.

Then the drive home. Wife drove (her car) friend in front passenger seat and me in back. Not being engaged in the convo I fell asleep...I mean really asleep. We arrived home and the woke me. Drowsy and not fully aware I woke and got out the car and then felt that awful wet feeling in my boxers. I was like no no no no. I can't be. Looked down and sure enough there was a wet area on my pants. Not a total soaking, thankfully, but a minimal and noticeable wet area. I had peed myself a little on the drive home. My wife was like, no worries surprised it didn't happen on the plane. My friend, who knows of my bedwetting issue, was like so what dude. Thankful for understanding wife and friends.

So as to your first question, I apparently didn't deep sleep until I was in a situation where I felt comfortable. On the plane I so should have entered into a deep deep sleep having been up almost 24 hours and then over 24 with the final flight. I didn't wet myself until I was in an environment where I was surrounded by trusted people, wife and friend who knew I bedwet.

Second question. Well I do not enjoy the fact I should wear protection during times where I might fall asleep, but I know that had I been wearing a pull-ups I prob would have been more at ease. Might even have slept on the plane, and prob peed the pull-ups. So I agree that I do appreciate the fact that I can wear protection just in case and will probable will on future flights. Now how does TSA deal with people wearing protection. LOL
14 days ago Post 12 • IP "

So an update.

Well my trip is over and well, all went well. After reading all your suggestions I opted to put my pull-ups on before leaving home for the flight and wear it though TSA check.

I had gone to the TSA info pages and read about flying with medical conditions. I saw where they had a downloadable medical info card you could fill out, print and bring with you. I did this and filled it out with the info that I was enuretic.

So the time came to go through TSA. I did have two extra pull-ups in my carry on as suggested as backup that I really did have a medical condition. I printed out two of the credit card sized TSA medical info cards. One I put with the pull-ups in my carry on and one that I kept with me and my ID as I went through TSA. I went through the body scanner and all was good. Not even a hesitation from TSA. Not sure what they saw on the scanner image, but what ever it was it did not cause any alerts.

So thanks to all and your suggestions. Everything worked great and flying with protection on is really no bit deal as I found out.

p.s. Thank fully I did not need my pull-ups, all stayed dry, even though I fell asleep during the flight for a while.