Traveling on Wednesday

Archives1

Staff member
So I’ve been reading here and else where on the web. The short question is whether or not a diaper, in and of itself, will be any kind of reason for any kind of red flag. My plan is to change before I go through the lines. It’s a small airport so there should be short lines, plus it’s a really early flight. I know they see it all, but probably not that many guys in their thirties with my fun little situation. I’m just super nervous as you can imagine. I really just want to hear from people who have actually flown; mostly to calm my nerves. Thanks

I have had no issues with going threw security or anything yet and I use to fly a lot. I did get to where i checked my bags instead of carry on and carried a few male gaurds in my pockets to help extend change times if needed. They do see a lot and what you use for protection is not what they are looking for or concerned about.

Just be sure your diaper is DRY if you have to go through the X-ray scanner! Diapers don't show up but WET does trigger additional scrutiny. Wet shows on body scanner image as foreign object in crotch area just as an artificial hip or knee does. Visit restroom just before you get on the line, and apply for your TTS number to get through security quicker. Good Luck!

I’ve been through many different airports and have never been questioned. I’ve been wet going through the scanners and still never been questioned, I always have a few diapers packed on my carry on backpack as well and they’ve never asked about them either. But to be safe maybe you should go to the restroom before going through the scanner to make sure it’s not an issue. You will be fine though and not the trip!!

I have been through a number of airports in both US and Europe wearing a dry Depends pull-up and have never been questioned. These have been both the walk through metal detectors and the full body scan security checks. I would try to make sure you change immediately before going through the scanner, however. As noted above, I think it might show up if you are wet. Have never wanted to take that chance. Have a great trip.

If you have the option of going tonairport restroom right before security check in and putting on normal underwear for just that part then goingbstraight to restroom after before heading to the flight gate you might ferl less insecure.
I always pack a fresh pair of trousers similar to the ones im wearing in my on board bag and a plastic bag for a wet pair if jeans in case I drip on my clothes while in travel mode.
It is also useful if your luggage is lost or delayed that you have a clean pair of pants in carry on
I

@soyeahandthat

I was you a while back. I have a bedwetting issue and was going on a long early morning flight. I considered wearing a Depends Real Fit just in case I fell asleep on the plane and had an accident. I didn't expect I would, but with the long flight and being over tired from the early departure I didn't want to take a change.

I posted a very similar question on the form asking about securing and wearing protection. Most everyone said it was not big issue. Number one advise that kept coming up was to try if at all possible go through the TSA check when dry. As a bedwetter only I knew that I would not have an issue with that.

My big choice was do I wear it from home and to my destination. Or just wear regular boxers and pants like I would any other day and then put on my Real Fits after going through TSA check. I decided it would be easier to just put it on under my underwear at home and not have to worry about changing in the airport bathroom before my flight.

In the end all worked out great. No issues with TSA. All was normal like it was for everyone else. Bonus I stayed dry too.

You might want to print out a TSA medical notification card that if stopped for screening you can discreetly hand so they will be more sensitive in questions asked in front of others. I used Acrobat to type in my info on wearing an adult pull-ups for bedwetting. Had it in my hand with my ID as I went through just in case I was stopped. Didn't need it though.

Here is a link to print out a copy. Hope all goes well for you.

clickable text

I have so much metal, in four places, that I'm going to get scanned with that hand-wand almost irregardless. So far, they've never seemed concerned about my crotch area. I do use the thinest pads for that. I also have one of those TSA fast check cards, but my airline doesn't alway get that on the boarding pass (I have best luck when printing it at home), so I've been through Security, both lines. No difference except having to separate my portable computer and take off shoes, although cane and bad limp usually speeds things up - except when it slows things down.
goof luck.

Alas if you ever need to get a rollator Drive brand makes a fantastic streamlined one which is great for even rough outdoor terrain. It folds super slim and has a seat which is very much envied wnen i stand in line at the post office etc.
Comes in Tall which is good for 5'8" or more

Had to google "rollator" - didn't recognize it by that name - the generic, here, seems to be "walker" (with wheels & hand brakes). Seen a lot of that type, haven't had to move to one, yet. Walkers(no wheels) have been temps - but bring my own, now. Hospitals don't like it if you bring your own and they can't charge Medicare for one! Airlines want you to check it at the jetway. PT seems to insist on no wheels.
I'd have gotten one of those scooters for foot surgery, but they wanted my leg elevated, not on that scooter. You can exceed the speed limit in the grocery store with one of those. (He he he!)
Thanks!

Made it through the gate fine, flight delayed, bladder however was not. Only had one change in my carry on I’m on a three hour overall delay. Fingers crossed on that. To top it off I snagged and ripped the bottom part of my shorts. Need vacation for sure. It isn’t starting well. Haha

soyeahandthat said:
Made it through the gate fine, flight delayed, bladder however was not. Only had one change in my carry on I’m on a three hour overall delay. Fingers crossed on that. To top it off I snagged and ripped the bottom part of my shorts. Need vacation for sure. It isn’t starting well. Haha

You will do great. Relax and enjoy your vacation you got this.

@soyeahandthat you have done the bit you thought would be difficult, so I hope you enjoy the break, cheers Phil

Hope your vacation is going well. I have metal and a pain nerve stimulator in my spine so I always get pat downs. I've only once been asked what I was wearing. The TSA guy said "do you have on..." and I said "a diaper " and he just said "cool" and continued with his pat down. I guess it helps that I'm in a wheelchair when going through security but they have always been professional and polite.

I’ve been through TSA screens many times and never had a problem. Usually, they just pass me through even with wet pull ups. Once I saw the scanner showed a region of interest near the diaper area. The agent did a quick leg pat and that was that.

I have gone through the full scanner thing and my wet diaper did trigger a full search. I was asked to go to a room to be searched and asked that my carry on bag be searched in the room at the same time rather than in front of other people. I was asked to lower my pants and show my diaper and asked if I was comfortable changing so they could see the wet diaper and have it disposed of, both the man and the woman said I promise you this is more embarrassing for us and a little well yuck. I said if they would leave me alone I was ok changing as long as I wasn’t watched changing. They said one person had to stay in the room but did not have to watch, so I did and after that, I did have to go through scanner again, they made it easy and least embarrassing as possible. It was uncomfortable but survived it and they did tell me if I got some sort of pass and letter from Dr that it could be listed and this would not have to happen anymore.

@Wbwayne11 sounds like you coped very well. The worst I have had was changing in front of a doctor who was checking a strange mole and said he better check all my skin, even the bits the sun doesn't reach! Cheers Phil