Traveling and TSA

Anytime I go through the scanner wet or dry I get pulled aside and ask for private room. I am usually asked questions what I am wearing or hiding and then asked to show, three officers generally in the room. I have been asked to change if I am wet and they test the wet diaper, I know gross. I think the powder I use is what sets off the machine and the unusual bulge. When my wife and I am traveling with others, she always goes ahead as she knows I will be pulled aside or at least have my carry on bag searched.

@WBwayne, I haven't been searched so far, but we have several trips coming up in the near future, so the possibility is there. I do carry a TSA health issue card that states that I am incontinent and need to wear diapers. I'm not sure if that will be enough if the situation arises. I also have a card indicating that I have a pacemaker, and should not go through the scanner. One question, when you travel with others do they know of your need to wear diapers? Two of our traveling friends know, but a few others do not. Should they be told, or take a wait and see approach?

Just keep your bladder medication close by so you can show when you get stopped, that's what I do. Once they read the label on the bottle it will typically answer any questions they might have. As already mentioned, arrive with enough time to change right before you go through security.

Damp said:
@WBwayne, I haven't been searched so far, but we have several trips coming up in the near future, so the possibility is there. I do carry a TSA health issue card that states that I am incontinent and need to wear diapers. I'm not sure if that will be enough if the situation arises. I also have a card indicating that I have a pacemaker, and should not go through the scanner. One question, when you travel with others do they know of your need to wear diapers? Two of our traveling friends know, but a few others do not. Should they be told, or take a wait and see approach?

@Damp, I will check with my Dr. as a possible solution, I will now also have Metal Show up as I have now had a spinal and Neck Fusion. Many times I have been asked to go through the one type scanner does pick up either wet diaper, powder as well as the bulge. It is stressful having to be patted down and my bags gone through and have diapers and wipes pulled out in front of others, I always ask for a private pat down. It is a much more invasive search especially if they have detected something that has wetness or liquid, usually it is actually having to show and the removal of diaper and they have actually tested a wet diaper I had been wearing. There has never been a situation where it has been a demeaning situation and not like they are having me change with them watching.

There are some of my friends and others that are aware of my situation, either way, I don't want them reminded or other nosy people seeing the contents of my bag or them having me pull my shirt up during open pat down and diaper show. While I am sure it could be traumatizing for many people as when I was younger it would have been so humiliating having ANYONE else knowing the needs I have.

I would definitely like to know what I would need to get a TSA card I am assuming I will need something for all the hardware they have put in me over the last year. @Damp if you could possibly Private message me or make a thread of what you need to do to obtain a card would be great.

THanks,

Wayne

@Wbwayne11 The TSA card is something that you can download from them and fill out with your information. it is a PDF document.

https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_card_508.pdf

When I fly and have longer flights or multiple connection or a late night/overnight flight I often will wear a pull-ups just in case I have a wetting accident if I fall asleep on the plane or waiting in a terminal due to a delay (I have bedwetting issues only). I put on the card that I wear adult protection due to enuresis and then put in () bedwetting since most might not know what enuresis is.

So far I have never had to show it as I have never been stopped or questioned about what I am wearing. Even the few times I have been pulled to the side for the random quick wand and pat down check nothing have ever been said. All have been very professional and kind.

Hello all. You mentioned "all the hardware" that you have. When I had my cataracts done I was given a card with the implant information on it. Also when I had breast reconstruction surgery. I keep these cards with me always because anytime I've had a CT Scan or MRI it is always questioned. I actually laminated them. I believe every "part" has a unique serial number, maybe as a means of tracking in case of a recall? Who knows - kinda creepy when I really think about it. It's the stuff scary movies are made from!!

MarineJohn said:
Having flown quite a bit since having issues, I have gone through TSA wet and dry with no issues. I do make sure I carry 3-4 diapers in my carry on. Once coming back to California from Florida we got delayed overnight, They put us in a hotel but we did not have access to our checked
baggage. Keeping a few spares in your carry one can be a life saver.
@MarineJohn

Yes absolutely, always spare diapers, wipes and a change of clothes in my bag!!

@Boopsie61 I will ask my Dr. This week about the fusion rod and plate in back and I am scheduled for three levels cervical fusion on April 6tn. And how much is the pain from the then need

i carry two to three xp5000s because they are easy to change and good for 12 hours i also carry my CPAP machine. and i have a card from the VA because i have wires down my chest from by pass surgery in case they set their scanner to senative.

For fun one time i went through TSA wearing a kilt with a diaper and plastic pants I don't think the TSA understood it, but it was easy to show them I was wearing a diaper.

One time at a airport I went flying with a friend in his private plane. he was carrying a handgun in a locked case and had no problem, but they wanted to check my diaper.

Just a quick update on this topic since I recently flew. For my flights I wore a pull-ups (Depend RealFit) under my boxers and pants. I also had one spare pull-ups in my carry on backpack. I had no issues going through TSA either time.

One was a small regional airport and the other a major airport. Big or small my passing through TSA check was uneventful. I do have TSA PreCheck so I am not sure if that helps or not.

For comparison to others experiences. My pull-ups was dry, I only had one spare pull-ups in my backpack and did not have any wet-wipes packed. I've seen where some report their carry on being extra checked when they have wet-wipes packed.

So my advise is enjoy the flight and lets get to traveling.

JT

Jaytee said:
Just a quick update on this topic since I recently flew. For my flights I wore a pull-ups (Depend RealFit) under my boxers and pants. I also had one spare pull-ups in my carry on backpack. I had no issues going through TSA either time.

One was a small regional airport and the other a major airport. Big or small my passing through TSA check was uneventful. I do have TSA PreCheck so I am not sure if that helps or not.

For comparison to others experiences. My pull-ups was dry, I only had one spare pull-ups in my backpack and did not have any wet-wipes packed. I've seen where some report their carry on being extra checked when they have wet-wipes packed.

So my advise is enjoy the flight and lets get to traveling.

JT
Good to know... I will be flying to Philadelphia in May and I will let you all know how it goes going through TSA.

@Sarah060486 I hope all goes smoothly for you as it did me. Enjoy your travels. Is it for work or fun?

JT

Lol Sarah that could go either way. It’s like me saying I am going to see my parents which honestly I could easily do with out. I need less drama in my life and that’s sad to say but it is the truth. ;)

Cheers

Jason

Oh goodness Sarah060486- we will be flying from NY to Orlando in early May. I do ok at home with managing my urinary incontinence but I am very nervous about this trip.Even when I do venture out of the house I know I will be coming home in a soaked pull-up. I have figured something out though. During the day I have come to terms with the fact that because my bladder gives me about a two second warning there is no way I will make it so as I am headed to the bathroom my urine slowly starts exiting my body. It almost seems like I can can control the speed of my urine flow. Usually by the time I finally get into the bathroom it's game over pretty much. Just seem to get there to change. But, oddly enough, when I am out and about with my hubbies for doctor appointments and such, I usually will try really hard to hold it back but when we got home and I got out of the car my urine was almost shooting out of me with a great uncontrollable force and speed. So because I was peeing so uncontrollable fast I think my pull-up wasn't able to absorb so much liquid that quickly. What ended up happening was a really bad leak all down the insides of my legs, all the way to my ankles. It seems like I must have some type of control because during the day at home, even though I don't usually get to the bathroom in time I can control the force / speed somewhat. So I realize that in the mornings when I get up I can't seem to control the flow or speed at all.And it has dawned on me that when I've been in the car for an extended time and am trying to hold it in, when I stand up to get out of the car - heck, it's like morning all over again where I seem to have zero control over anything. It's almost as if my urine wants out, like right now, and it is getting out as rapidly as it possibly can. Almost as if it is saying "We must evacuate the area as quickly as possible!!" It could care less that the bulk of it ended up on our blacktop. Anyway, that is my theory: whenever it's out of control and pouring out as fast as the speed of light, seems like it's too fast for my pull-up to do its job and as such I end up with a big ol' leak. I'm sure some of you folks are thinking "Well, daah, everyone knows this." Does everyone this? And that's OK cause I know it now too. I'm re-reading this post and I feel like an idiot.So honesty now please, is it common knowledge? well, there's my theory. What does anyone else think? Thanks in advance for any response.

@Boopsie61 No don't say you're am idiot! We all have different experiences with our IC.. but for me actually I relate to you but I think I have a possible reason... if I don't actively try hard to NOT have an accident when the urge comes, a small to medium amount kind of gently trickles out. When I try to hold it in like do Kegels, I will have short term success like be able to keep it from coming for maybe 30 seconds or so, but then it will come out stronger and larger quantity. I think of it like having a hose turned on but manually clamping it shut by folding it over. When you release it, the water comes out with a fury.

The TSA has a service called TSA Cares. You can fill out a request at tsacares.gov. Give them all of your flight information a few days in advance. When you arrive at the airport, and are ready for screening call the number indicated on the form. They will send someone to help you with the process.

The above website provided is invalid.

Use the link below:
https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/cares

You can also download a TSA Disability Card to hand to agents as a request for privacy while screening. It's something you can carry in your hand through the scanner.
https://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/files/disability_notification_card_508.pdf

I've included a sample of the laminated one-pager (8.5 x 11) I carry with me.
It eliminates the need to say a single thing to agents around other travelers.
10b00f3ffe2707b6de20c1a5549c584d.png