timeline for continence

Archives1

Staff member
It's been 2 years since I had my prostate removed. I'm currently about 90-95% continent wearing one mini-pad per day. I still have some stress incontinence which is frustrating. If I lift one of my grandchildren I have a discharge but when I go to the gym and lift weights I don't have a discharge. I still do my Kegel exercises three times a day. I wanted to find out if others in this situation went on to become 100% continent after the 2 year mark.

2+ years for me. Still incontinent as I suspect I always will be following surgery. Prior to its removal, my prostate was so large it was pressing on my bladder and completely restricting my urethra so that I had to be catheterized. And still was the day of my surgery. It is likely that for 10 years, I made no use of my pelvic floor muscles as my problem was not incontinence, but retention. So, garbage in, garbage out. Everyone's situation is unique. One person's experience is one person's experience. Congratulations on your progress so far. I wish you well.

Going on 4 years.

Damn.

Bladder problems started in the Summer of age 26, worsened that following winter shy of my 27th birthday. I remember it was during the pandemic. Worst time to have severe bladder problems. About a year later I started to branch out more and start to get involved and live with my condition. Definetly hasn't been an easy road as the bladder symptoms come and go in severity - but the symptoms itself are constant.

I'm 29 now; and even though I wish I pushed my physical health more prior than I am doing now - I don't think I would ever change how I handled my continence issues for the past few years. I think being a young adult, I handled it the best that I could - with the personal background and emotions that I carry. In fact, I think I'm stronger because of my conditions - even though my bladder isn't.

Thanks for the reflection -

Blessings,
Honeeecombs

My brother had RP 13 years ago and says he still has some stress incontinence. Wears light pad for security.

5 years post RP at 75 and still <0.01, so I’m happy with that. But need pad/day and due to high activity - power yoga, weights, distance walking - will need 2 often. Walking & yoga seem to help pelvic floor most. ED remains problematic, but working away at it with pump/pills. Still skittish about self injecting. Kegals forever or die.

I’m just about 2 years since prostate removal surgery and still leaking. The doctor said at this point it will not get better. I recently saw his partner to setup AUS surgery.

I ditched the light pad at 1 year and am 99% leak free. A hard sneeze will result in a small squirt if I’m not ready, but not enough to go through my underwear. I’ve never been consistent at Kegals. Almost 18 months now. Good luck.