This is hard.

Archives1

Staff member
I was in bed all day in pain. I’ll have some good days and then boom. Can barely move. I have bursitis in both my left knee and amputated right leg, arthritis in my shoulders and hands and now have developed a callous or something on my left ankle. Changing a diaper yourself on the bed is not easy but I will say this. I did it today several times and had no leaks. My aide doesn’t work on the weekends and my trash is piling up. I may have to ask my friend tomorrow to help me take it out. I miss my days of independence. Life is so different now.

My aide told me she was sorry about my bladder issues and I said "Eh it's just a part of my life. I used to hate it but diapers come in handy sometimes. Out at a sporting event? No more waiting in long lines for the bathroom! In the middle of a movie? Don't have to miss it to get up!"

@justej

I was up all night with spasms in the lower left side of my stomach. It sucked because I normally sleep on my stomach. That made for a long day in bed. Did not get up until 7 pm.

As for the quality of life, I can live with the incontinence issues but the pain is just way too much sometimes.

@ThatFLGuy i 100% agree and feel you man. I know you can’t take pain meds and I can’t even imagine. I get a crap ton of oxycodone a month and don’t even take near the amount of what I’m supposed to take. They are pretty good when I do take them though. I just take them sparingly so I don’t get addicted.

I know how pain can destroy my quality of life. I have a basement full of woodworking power and hand tools that I can no longer use due to pain and risk of bone fractures. I also had to give up fishing and bicycling. I now wake up at night more from pain than bladder issues.

@justej I had my left eye eviscerated (amputated) due to a botched surgery for detached retina. Now my right eye is cataracted. My research tells me that having the surgery has some serious risks that doctors don't talk about. So, I'm putting that off. However, I praise God that I can still see enough to read and get around.

I encourage myself by reading Paul's scriptures (Acts, Romans, Ephesians, etc.). He was constantly beaten, imprisoned, homeless, hungry, sleepless, and suffering from some kind of health problem that would not go away. Even so, he said he had learned to be content in any circumstance. I'm still working on that one. :(

Hi @justej, It sounds like you had a rough time of it and I hope today has been better for you and that you have been able to get out of bed comfortably.
I hope your friend can help you with the trash tomorrow. Feel better soon!

Thanks everyone. Today is a bit better. I was able to wear my prosthetic leg today and even took out the trash! I have to start doing the trash because my aide always screws it up. We have 1 trash can labeled recycle, one labeled cardboard boxes and 3 with no labels (for regular trash). She will put the cardboard boxes on TOP of the trash can and trash in the recycling. I’ve told her over and over and even physically showed her how to do it. My neighbors get upset with me and I’m tired of her not being able to do such a simple task. So from now on no matter how I’m feeling I’ll do the trash myself. Sorry for rambling and going off topic but it grinds my gears. I haven’t been taking my pain meds during the day until yesterday and I’ve been doing 1 every six hours which seems to help.