Stress v urge

Archives1

Staff member
I’m trying to determine if I have stress or urge incontinence. I’m 5 weeks past catheter removal after prostate removal

I don’t get a sudden need to go and have to run to the toilet.

I understand that stress incontinence presents as an “squirt” when coughing, sneezing or lifting.

Coughing or sneezing or lifting doesn’t cause leakage.

When I go from sitting or lying to standing creates a discharge that will continues while walking or standing.

I’ve been doing the exercises and just started Myrbetriq yesterday.

Not sure there is much difference in the treatment between urge and stress.

So, I think I have “stress”, but without the stress symptoms. What experiences do you have and how have you diagnosed it?

Myself, I think it's awfully early to try any meds. Let the neurological pathways settle down. You may be doing harm by using a drug that takes the job of recovery out of the hands of the neural pathway recovery. I don't KNOW, but i haven't heard of that anywhere on here this soon after sx. Im at 7 mo and the scripted me some meds gor OAB but decided agsinst it. Be patient, be realistic

Sounds like stress incontinence to me. I think the general rule of thumb is you'll see decent improvement for 6-12 months, then you pretty much remain the same going forward. Seems like some of our members achieve full or at least very good continence, while others not so much. Good luck with it!

I agree that it sounds like stress incontinence, and that the treatment for stress vs. urge is the same, wether that’s Kegels or a medication. I’ve taken Myrbetriq and didn’t experience any side effects. But 1) I’m a female and 2) don’t have the same reason for incontinence as you do (my cause is Neurogenic Bladder). I think if Myrbetriq had any chance of inhibiting your recovery, your doctor wouldn’t have prescribed it. I’ve tried all of the different medication types for incontinence and Myrbetriq absolutely had none of the horrid side effects of the other pills.

I am 4 months out from same surgery and found that mine has improved after taking a huge step backwards after 8 weeks. I read an article and tried taking pseudophedrine OTC. It seemed to help- only took it twice a day, but seemed to help keep those types of situations under control. I also really focused on holding everything going from sitting to standing- pausing and then moving. Good luck and best wishes-stay positive.

stress means any physical stress that can put pressure on the bladder. leaking when getting up sounds like stress IC to me. If you had urge IC, you would know it. Urge IC feels like you very suddenly have to urinate with an extreme sense of urgency....like OMG I HAVE TO GO RIGHT NOW OR I WON'T MAKE IT.....and then you often don't make it.

I can be sitting there with no sense of needing to pee. then suddenly, instantly feel like I have to go RIGHT NOW. From that point on I have like a minute or less to get to a bathroom before the bladder spasms overpower my attempts to hold it back.

Yep, @MikeJames, been there, done that! Or rather, am there and doing that! And guess what? I often don't make it! :O And I know about those bladder spasms that overcome any attempts to hold it back.