Stress incontinence in late 40s

Archives1

Staff member
Went to first urologist appt to discuss stress incontinence when I exercise. Age 47. Suburethral sling procedure discussed. Anyone ever had this with good success? Amitriptyline prescribed to try as first alternative which is type of antidepressant that can help the bladder. Anyone ever try this med?

I have not had the sling procedure. But I have heard people have had good results with it. It's primarily a personal decision. Just sounds painful to me. The amitriptyline I took for awhile with no positive results (it just didn't work for me). Good luck to you. You are very young to have to go through this. Stay positive and always make sure you get 2nd opinions when it comes to Urologist. Read reviews from doctors patients also. There's a lot of Urologist that are more in it for the money than looking after your best welfare. Not saying they are all bad, they're not! But as in all business, you have ones that unfortunately take advantage of people with good insurance.

I've been researching different things myself - I'm 47 as well. My primary mentioned pelvic floor therapy. I've tried Emsella and Femiwave with no improvement. Pretty disheartening.

Sling procedures only work with mild incontinence.1-2 pads a day.YOUR eurologist can give you a urodynamic test that shows on a computer how much incontinence you have to actually determine if a sling surgical procedure is what you need ...is it do to removing your prostate ?

I had the sling surgery 21 months after RT surgery to remove my prostrate. Tylersway818 is fairly accurate in that after months of kegels that reduced leakage to 1-2 pads/day, I chose the sling surgery. I was tested showing the kegels worked but could not stop the leakage. I'm 69 and fairly active. I still need to be conscious of distance to restroom but for the most part the sling stopped the leakage.

I am fortunate that I only have problems when I exercise. I walk 5-7 miles per day, mild jogging, play softball and jump rope. It interferes with those activities. I wish their was a magic pill to take before exercise. My dr thought I’d be a good candidate for the sling for this stress incontinence when exercising.