Sling

Archives1

Staff member
I had a radical prostatectomy about 2 yrs ago and have had inconstinence since then, its much better now then when it first started, but its constant leaking. My doctor suggested a sling, has anyone had one done and if so how has it helped ?

I will be having the same procedure in a few weeks due to Agent Orange related prostate cancer. It was detected at a Stage T2b level but hasn't gone to the bones so I'm lucky to that extent I guess.

The idea of becoming incontinent really screws with my head because I was a chronic bed wetter as a kid, well into my teens, and never imagined I would have to deal with this problem again. But - as my Urologist said - which is worse? Being in a diaper or being in a coffin? That man has a way with words!

I'm going to follow this conversation to see how others have managed this problem and hope to find some helpful advice. I hope we both do!

Good luck!

From what I have read bladder slings, and artificial urinary sphincters work for some, but not all. Plus, some require another surgery, and they can cause other problems. I guess for me having to push a button to release urine, or fiddle with some other appliance is not for me. I don't see that as any easier than wearing a diaper. I'm a little surprised that your urologist accepted you wearing a diaper. That's usually not the case. So far, I've chosen the diaper route, and am comfortable with that choice. Since I had previous incontinence issues before my prostatectomy and diverticulotomy, I'm sort of used to diapers or some form of protection as my go to underwear. At 70 years of age it is what it is.

Maybe a lot of urologists favor a surgical approach due to a business/profit agenda? (Just guessing here; don't mean to slur urologists!) My care is from the VA which is definitely non-profit so perhaps that is the difference? (Could be the other way, though; cutting Government costs of care.)

Like you I had incontinence problems in my past - primary enuresis to age 17 - so as much as the thought of regressing to that time of my life doesn't give me warm fuzzies I know that wearing diapers was something I once dealt with and so I can deal with it again.

I am at age 68, if nothing else, a realist!