Sling Procedure

Archives1

Staff member
I've been asked to post my experiences with incontinence and in particular, my decision to have a sling procedure.

I had a prostatectomy in 2018. It was a robotic procedure at Johns Hopkins by one of the top robotic surgeons in the country.

After surgery, like everyone else, I had incontinence issues. Unlike some, I kept extremely detailed records of my urine output in a journal by measuring the weight of my pads. My procedure was in August. By the following April, I could tell that while my incontinence had improved, the improvement was tapering off and I was in kind of a state of "no change." By the standards of some people on this site, my incontinence was extremely mild. On good days, I might only drip around a quarter of an ounce or less. On bad days, which usually involved a lot of extreme physical activity, it might be as high as half an ounce. I should also point out that while I am 64 now, I am an avid exerciser. I bike 14 miles a day, three times a week. On the other three days a week, I spend 3 hours a day in the gym lifting, stationery bike and swimming. There is no doubt in my mind that my high degree of physical activity contributed to my stress incontinence. If I was inactive, I might have had little if any dripping.

I tried all sorts of things to try and reduce my output. Kegels, of course. That didn't work. Electrical stimulation was a bust. So was physical therapy. I also took imipramine, but that too didn't do a thing. I was ultimately told that my problem was probably anatomical. For whatever reason, the length of my urethra, the space left when they took out my prostate, my tightness in my pelvic floor -- all were issues that were unlikely to change.

So after 2.5 years after prostate surgery, I decided to have the sling procedure. A couple of observations. First, don't let them tell you that recovery is a walk in the park. When they cut your scrotum, it is uncomfortable and it stays that way (although improving) for a good 7-8 weeks. The good news is that 2 months after surgery, there is a definite improvement in my continence. The bad news is that it is not a 100% cure. I still leak, albeit at a lower rate, but again, you have to take into account my daily activity levels. Whereas before, I might leak .25 to .5 ounces a day, not it is more like .04 to .10 ounce. That might not sound like a lot but it is the difference between having a soggy pad that smells at the end of the day and something far less objectionable. I've been wearing a pad lately so that I can document the change but I really think that the amount of leakage I have now could be tolerated without a pad. If you drip a little bit, your body heat will evaporate your underwear and you will be technically without a pad.

I can say that there are a number of factors effecting my level of incontinence. If I am physically spent, I leak more than if I am sitting around most of the day. If I haven't had a bowel movement or I have a lot a intestinal bloating, I leak more. But then, there are also some days that are better or worse than others for no obvious reason.

Hope this helps. I will close with the observation that your prostate surgeon will probably not want to hear about your post-op leaking. I think doctors don't like hearing that their procedure was less than perfect, regardless of whether it had anything to do with the competence of the surgery itself. The fact is that probably a lot of prostate patients leak - - a dirty little secret hospitals don't want you to know. They are in business, after all, and incontinence and impotence ( a whole other topic) are BAD for business. There is also the issue of exactly what constitutes continence. Some define it as being completely, 100% dry all the time. Others say you are continent if you use 1 pad per day or less, or that you urine output is less than half an ounce. Nobody has been able to give me a clear definition.

Bottom line ... am I glad I had the sling procedure? Yes. Am I happy that I still leak? NO! Do I wish that I was 100% dry? You bet. I think we all have to realize, however, that a prostatectomy is major surgery and none of us will EVER be exactly the same as we were before. For young men with potential aggressive cancers, surgery is by far the best option, even though it has complications that suck. I guess the saving grace is that if incontinence is the biggest problem we face, we are overall quite fortunate compared to those whose cancer was not eradicated.

Appreciated : “ I think we all have to realize, however, that a prostatectomy is major surgery and none of us will EVER be exactly the same as we were before. For young men with potential aggressive cancers, surgery is by far the best option, even though it has complications that suck. I guess the saving grace is that if incontinence is the biggest problem we face, we are overall quite fortunate compared to those whose cancer was not eradicated.”

jwai, fantastic reflections. It’s almost as if I am your alter ego. I went through all of it in early 2018, when I was 71. The only major difference from your account is my reluctance to attempt the sling procedure. But your experience and description of your urological surgeon, the failed therapies, and resistance to properly telling us about our future incontinence and ED, all ring through me. Once they cut the cancer out, and PSA levels remain at <0.01, they’re comfortable with their ‘success.’ Yes we are alive, but for some of us life can become an endurance leaving many with doubts and depression. Thanks

Stryder your comment completely resonates with me: "Once they cut the cancer out, and PSA levels remain at <0.01, they’re comfortable with their ‘success.’ Yes we are alive, but for some of us life can become an endurance leaving many with doubts and depression."

The lack of accurate information on incontinence and ED ahead of surgery makes them much harder to swallow afterwards when it is too late to reconsider.

In my case my urology consultant was my surgeon. Right from the start he was determined that my treatment would be surgery, and he pushed me towards having a prostatectomy by quoting success rates that he thought he ought to get.

The day of surgery, when I was already prepped for theatre, I was presented with a consent form to sign by an intern who quoted the actual likely reults for me ... and they were radically different to anything I had heard before.

Sat there on the gurney with the form in my hand I had no time or space to process this new information, and so I signed the form and had my life change right there. I gave consent - but it wasn't in any way truly informed consent.

Given time to digest the information and to think through my options I would definitely have opted for a period of active surveillance before embarking on surgery.

Appreciate the time to post this info. It is very valuable for those considering procedures. I have much the same story, but I had to have salvage radiation in Feb 20 after my robotic prostatectomy in Aug 2018. I had Ben almost dry and the radiation made me leak more-although still fairly mild. I am now considering the sling procedure.

@jwai I was in shock at the time, so I wouldn't rely on my memory too much. I know that at my first consultation the likely severity and duration of incontinence was played down as a minor inconvenience and ED not mentioned at all. The likelihood of both went up at each susequent pre-op visit. On surgery day the numbers both doubled on anything I was told before. I know I was told that the ED risk was above 50%. It feels like that applied to incontinence too but that was probably just my panic taking over my memory at that point.

I had mine removed and was no where near informed of incontinence or ed.I agree if i woulf of know i would have probably not had it removed and continued active surelance.i had 2 sling surgeries 1 failed because of them not infoming me the after effects of sling surgery that can occur.To all who may think about sling surgery it works well for mild to moderate not heavy leaking ...I will say if you do get sling surgery you must and i mean must take a enima 2 days after coming home ...the anesthesia and pain medicine will bind you up so when it is time you need to poop take it from me i had the most excruciating pain in my life to the point i was shitting puking and peeing in the shower at the same time and ruined the first procedure.6 months later went for number 2 and to this say 5 months later i still need to wear a pad changing 3-4 times a day depending on what i am doing ...not my options are to either live this way or do the artificial sphincter surgery..all they had to do was tell me hey i cut you between your asshole and balls and the last thing as your surgeon would want you to have pain there so my advice is take stool softners a week prior and after due a enima the day before surgery then eat light foods ..soups, fiber things that wont bins you up as much ...Then within the 2nd night of being home do a enima and that will ease any poop that is bound up to come out with ease and no problems after ...i had to live and learn this for myself not from them and i let him know of this ...

Did you have severe incontinence 3-4 pads per day after the second sling procedure? Did it help you in any way? Was there at least a reduction in urine output or did you not keep track?