Sleeping in same bed as incontinent husband

Archives1

Staff member
Is it wrong to ask husband to sleep in different bed? Should I feel guilty? Really tired of the leaking, smell and nighttime floor peeing, which I have to get up and clean, and he denies he did it. Recent prostate radiation success but alcohol seems to increase urination and he will not stop the alcohol. Any advice?

You can support him in his mental and physical battle, but that doesn’t demand that you personally/physically participate in them. It also sounds as if he’s not willing to do the work to win the battle if alcohol is making that battle more difficult. This might be that time for tough love.

Many couples sleep in seperate beds. If he won't listen to you when you explain, when he's sober. time for you to move to spare bedroom.

I suggest Natures Miracle an enzyme urine cleaner in the pet aisle of the grocery store. You can pour on a soaked mattress or use it on the floor.
Actually he should be doing it but it doesn't sound like that's how your relationship is operating currently sorry to say.

I have light to moderate incontinence and I would never go to bed without some kind of protection. I have a deep understanding of people with alcohol problems. As has been said it may be time for tough love.

Besides a good diaper. A washable bed under him too. The disposable ones slip to easy. You can also get a mattress protector too.

In my opinion, you should have your own bed, and he should be cleaning up after himself. Is floor peeing caused by unsuccessful attempts to get to the bathroom? If that is the problem, would he use a portable bedside urinal? If he won’t move, would you be able to start sleeping in a different bed?

He needs to use a high quality/capacity full tape on diaper, and if that’s not doing it then PUL or plastic pants over it. Then a bed pad or waterproof sheet in case
All else fails. If he’s not willing to manage it, then by all means get another bed.
My Wife has been very tolerant of my incontinence since the beginning. That said, when pads ans pull-ups diddnt work and she wanted me to try tape on diapers, I was reluctant because if imbarresemwnt but she was supportive and I quickly found a wet diaper thsn worked was better then soaked sheets.

Address the alcohol issue so you can address the leaking issue. You need to sleep in a different room and when he sobers up let him clean everything up.
I'll share something the VA once told us Veterans, that is if our loved ones showed us video of how we acted while drunk we'd be to ashamed to drink again.

I have been a bedwetter for years. I use cloth diapers and plastic pants. Other than an occasional leak, I've NEVER peed on my wife.

Aldute1, first of all I'm sorry for what you are going through! Short answer: if your husband isn't willing to take over full responsibility of his condition, you have every right to throw him out of your common bedroom.
You are his wife, not his maid, and he has to respect you on eye level - and respect also means to take control over his body. Being incontinent means, to wear according protection, to take special care of not smelling by practicing good hygiene, and means, if alcohol increases the problem then he has to stop drinking alcohol or at minimum increase the protection to a level no leakages occur. And, at least, he has to care himself about every mess he makes - changing bed sheets, changing his clothes etc. That's not naturally your job, as I said, you're not his maid! Of course, if you want to, you can assist him with such duties or if you are starting the washer anyways, but it's not your job.

I myself am urinary IC since some more than a year, happily married since 37 years. I shared my continence issues with her since the beginning, her initial reaction was that she understands and supports me fully, that I always be the same to her no matter which kind of underwear I use, that I shall try out and do whatever makes me feel comfortable with managing my condition and that we go through all of it together.Generally I decided for managing with according protection, thinner belt type diapers for the day, full and higher capacity diaper for the night. Of course I bought additionally a mattress protector. I don't have to (and don't) hide anything to my wife, but I involve her as less as possible into my managing. I try to behave as (reasonable) discreet as possible, diaper nearly always covered, I pay attention to stay clean and fresh. Of course it's unavoidable that rarely (once or twice a month)I might have a small leak in the early morning, but these are only a very few drops if my diaper is end of capacity, and lead to a little damp spot on my nightgown, nothing serious. I remark this leakage even in my sleep and get quickly up for a change.
On the other hand my wife doesn't only say but actively shows me that I'm still the same person to her than before. Cuddling, even intimacy happens as before. She has no issues touching me, even my diaper area is not completely off limits for her (without expecting anything from my side). I'm very happy having such an understanding and supportive wife, and I do everything to keep my IC in our lives as less disturbing as possible!

So, give your husband a kick in the ass that he has to deeply overthink and change his behavior!

When I became incontinite I asked my wife to go to the spare bedroom. I also got a little plastic portable urinal. But I also was near suicidal because of how it ruined my perfect marriage of 20 years. But talking it through was the biggest fix. It's a tough subject for men to admit to the embarrassment of incontinence. Only you know your situation best with your husband. You need to talk with him about the alcohol as it only nakes in ontinence worse. And maybe reaching out to family that he loves and respects may help in the talking part. It's tough, and as a man I feel so sorry for you because some guys can be difficult. But love should prevail. Get family to help you quickly. Good luck my friend.

I wish you could get him to join this forum and hear from the many kind men who have this issue and are considerate partners.

Thanks for your helpful words. It gives me strength to know I am doing what I can and am not wrong in hoping for a better resolution. My husband is too proud or stupid to admit to any of his issues. It is very sad but I cannot control who he is. He did go to another bedroom after a very tense argument yesterday. Relieved.

Good for you!!
Relationships are complex and in the end it's all about self respect and giving and receiving it.

I need diapers and plastic pants. I don't purposely wet the bed. I sleep very hard. If I would to wake up and go pee, it would probably be at least 6 times a night.

It doesn't make you less of a person because you wet yourself, it's out of consideration for your partner ❤️