Should I wear brief or Pull ups to my Doctor appointment

Archives1

Staff member
I Have a Dr. Appointment Friday with my new primary care Dr.

The question is should I wear brief or Pull ups to my Doctor appointment?

You are not going to the doctor’s office to impress him on your clothes and underwear choices. Wear the under garment that offers you the best protection. My 2 cents.

I guess it depends on if you’re leaking or not. I’m still in pull ups after 11 weeks. Go with the pull ups.

I'd look at the amount of time you'll go between changes and let that determine what you should wear.

At 4 months post radical prostatectomy surgery I can now get by with just a medium pad. But when I still needed to wear pullups and had to attend an appointment with my Urologist or pelvic physiotherapist, I wore pullups with a pad so I could take the pad out when it became too wet and still be comfortable during the visit and/or on the trip home.

Hi @Craig88
Dress for comfort and wear something that is comfortable for you but still meets your absorbency requirements. I would go on the side of caution and figure that your bladder could become quite active during the time you are at the doctor's. I would figure on something that would last at least two hour, no less than that. I hope that helps!

A doctor's appointment is luck of the draw! It isn't unusual for a half hour appointment to turn into a 1.5 hour marathon. It's happened to me before.
And other days you get really lucky, like I did today. I had an appointment with my retina doctor and I was in and out of there (with good news) in less than 30 minutes, including vision test, taking pictures of my eyes (2 different cameras in 2 different rooms) and talking to the doctor. There was literally no wait time either. And that's some kind of a record, I think!
So you just may get lucky!!! Trust me, it can happen!!!😊😊😊😊

I wore a pull-up for my last prostate MRI. No big deal. Clearly the nurses could see it but never said a thing.

I would say wear what you need to wear. If you are having wetting or leak issues then a pull-up. If you are dry and have no worries of a wetting or dribble of pee then wear what ever is your regular underwear. In the end wear what will make you feel the most comfortable and confident.

JT

I second @Jaytee and wear what makes you the most comfortable. If there's any shadow of a doubt then I would go with at least pull ups. And if by the time the appointment is done and you didn't need them then that's OK too!!
My overall philosophy here would be better safe than sorry!!

I wear my regular briefs to my new primary care physician.
I explained to her that I have urge Incontinence, and that I would like to my prostate exam part as my regular annual exam due my Lower urinary tract symptoms (LUTS). However she said she would leave that up to urologist and that her finger are also to short. she was only 5' tall. But it sound like she was making making excuses not to examine my prostate.

Hi@Craig88, a finger that's too short to do a prostate exam, now that's a new one for me!!!! When a doctor does that I never really consider whether or not the doctor's finger is long enough for the task or not!!😊😊 But I can tell you I have always felt something during those times so that may not be really a problem!!!And I can tell you one thing: it as a big relief when the doctor withdrew that finger!!!!

It was a source of anxiety for me and still is a bit awkward but none of the healthcare professionals I've seen have batted an eyelid and I've gotten pretty used to it now. I'm actually surprised no hospital staff have made more of it to be honest. I didn't make any effort to hide it when I went to a neurologist recently as I hoped it would make my case seem more urgent but it didn't have any effect. Obviously a thirty year old having to wear think adult nappies 24/7 due to a sudden worsening of incontinence is no cause for concern whatsoever.

I think the bottom line is that if they know that you have bladder/bowel issues it won't come as a surprise. The osteopath I saw where I used to live when all my neuro stuff kicked off didn't say anything. I imagine that people generally are happy you're taking precautions so there won't be anything to clean up.

I think you have the right idea, @Sci_Fi_Fan! Professional people (and others) who know you have these issues really shouldn't be surprised at what you wear. After all they see people wearing protective undergarments every day so it's no big deal.
And I think you're right that those people should be pleased to see their patients taking those precautions so there won't be any cleaning up later on. That's the way we all should be thinking here!!!😉