Shockwave therapy

Archives1

Staff member
Anyone had shockwave therapy for incontinence? I had surgery almost two years ago and pelvic floor therapist gave me some info on it today. Just looking for firsthand info on it. Thanks.

I just finished a multi-week session. Very expensive but it didn't work for me. A different urologist told me it was a scam.

It may not be a scam. It might depend on who you go to. If electrical stimulation of the chest muscles, the biceps and thigh muscles is possible, and I am living proof that it was, at one time, very effective, then why should not the 3 pelvic floor muscles react in the same way, if electricity is used to make them flex? They are a little like 3 muscular hammocks, strung up between the tail bone at the back, and the pubic bone at the front.

Given how important core muscles are - and, the pelvic floor are the lowest core muscles we have, it's not a good idea to just go to the first people who suggest that their therapy works. So, I would have no idea precisely how to choose the right people. Here, in the UK, we have our own fair share of scam artists, also, but recommendations are probably available, if we can just figure out from where they can come! I believe in the therapy working, but I'd need to do a lot of research before choosing somebody.

In the UK shockwave therapy in a non invasive mechanical NOT electrical therapy. I am having it following a hip replacement to help the tendons, ligaments and muscles repair. Shockwave is a procedure where sound waves of energy are passed through the skin to the injured part of the body using a special device. The shockwaves are mechanical and not electric and work by increasing blood flow to the injured area. This accelerates the body’s healing process. Whether it would work for incontinence I am afraid I don’t know.

My experience. It is not shockwave therapy. I had radical prostatectomy almost 9 months ago with severe urinary incontinence. I tried Keagle exercises for a couple of months then I went to the specialized public floor physical therapist. It did not help much. I was told that a chair “Emsella” may help to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. I had a total of 11 sessions been out of pocket. It was very expensive and did not help much. Three weeks ago I visited center of excellence for prostate cancer and I was recommended electrical stimulation with bio feedback. some of you might have used it already but for me, this was the first time. I came home and I bought From Amazon, a device called istim V2. I also bought a rectal probe.
Empirically I have used that unit daily twice a day for the last two weeks and I have had significant improvement in the amount of leakage that I had. I went from anywhere from 60 to 80 mL of urine liquid a day to around 8 to 10 mL daily. The way I measure is very simple. I have a small flat weight scale. I wear diapers which I weigh every morning and then I weigh it several times during the day. . I could say with some certainty, Then it has Been helping me. The technique is very simple. You use a glove with a lubricated finger and dilate the anal sphincter And then you introduced the probe two inches. Each session is 30 minutes. I use the level P2 and intensity of 15 to 25. Again, this is my personal experience and I am happy with it.

Leonghitis said:
My experience. It is not shockwave therapy. I had radical prostatectomy almost 9 months ago with severe urinary incontinence. I tried Kegle exercises for a couple of months then I went to the specialized pelvic floor physical therapist. It did not help much. I was told that a chair “Emsella” may help to strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. I had a total of 11 sessions all out of pocket expenses.. It was very expensive and did not help much. Three weeks ago I visited a center of excellence for prostate cancer and I was recommended electrical stimulation with bio feedback which some of you might have used it already but for me, this was the first time. I came home and I bought From Amazon, a device called istim V2. I also bought a rectal probe.
Empirically I have used that unit daily twice a day for the last two weeks and I have had significant improvement in the amount of leakage that I had. I went from anywhere from 60 to 80 mL of urine liquid a day to around 8 to 10 mL daily. The way I measure is very simple. I have a small flat weight scale. I wear diapers which I weigh every morning and then I weigh it several times during the day. . I could say with some certainty, if it has Been helping me. The technique is very simple. You use a glove with a lubricated finger and dilate the anal sphincter And then you introduced the probe two inches. Each session is 30 minutes. I use the level P2 and intensity of 15 to 25. Again, this is my personal experience and I am happy with it.

I had electro shock therapy after I broke my foot and had surgery for recovery. I do believe it expedited the recovery.

To all: is shock therapy similar to lithotripsy for kidney stones?

I had lithotripsy and laser many years ago for kidney stone. My wife was in Homg Kong on business and called me at 5am. I was feeling a pain in my back and did not say anything. After the nanny arrived I drove to ER. Later my wife called home in the evening from Taiwan and my sister-in-law answered. She was sleeping over and watching 10 year old and 3 month old. The lithotripsy worked but I was in hospital for a couple days. My wife flew straight home to get me. I don’t remember how my car got back home. Worse pain I ever had. I could not believe the size of the stent when they pulled the string out a week later.

We had gone to Hong Kong one year earlier, figure the math on that one.

I don’t think lithotripsy is the same thing. That’s supposed to be one of the most painful things one can experience.