RPINCONTINANCE

@donegatf - I am 10 weeks post RALP and in a similar situation. I was told by my surgeon as well as the PT folks that progress to continence should be looked at in terms of weeks and months - not in days. They quoted 3 months to a Year or more.

I did my Kegel exercises for 6 weeks prior to surgery, stopped after surgery until the catheter came out ( 12 days ) and then started again. Four times a day. Will continue doing them until leaking stops.

Am slowly improving but it is VERY SLOW. Need to be patient, which is difficult I think for most of us.

You need to get your pelvic floor muscles to the point where muscle memory kicks in and you do not have to think about squeezing to stop a leak.

Hang in there, keep exercising that pelvic floor and stay positive. It will get better.

Bill M.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. Just takes time. Everyone’s progress is a little different.

@donegatf @daddyrod I had similar questions when I did not see improvement in my incontinence over a very long period. I am 6 mos following my Laparoscopic Robotic Prstatectomy (August 2022) and about a month ago saw some real umprovements. For the longest period I was using 2 pull ups and 3-5 light shields per 24 hr period. Aproximately a month ago almost magically my light shield need dropped to 1-2 and I am using one pull up brief as back up security only.

I began to concentrate on whether I am doing anything consciously now throughout the day to manage the incontinence. The times I am conscious of doing anything are when I anticipate stress movements that traditionally cause leaks. These includes standing up from sitting, getting out of the car, and coughing or yawning. I have become very good anticipating these movements and using my abdominal floor muscles to stop leaks. This has become second nature. I have also noticed that my body seems to now manage small leaks without me doing any contractions consciously. I would like to think that the External Urethral Sphincter (the one that still remains following a prostatectomy) has now been strengthened and “trained” to work and prevent urine leakage!

My surgeon told me that the majority of her patients tend to dry up in 6mos to a year so I seem to fall into this experience. I think that consistant use of Kegels, physical therapy, and exercising have contributed to this.

Hope my observations are helpful.

Thanks for this insight. You have given me some real clues about what my new norm will feel like. I have been fairly conscious of preparing for standing or coughing, but every once in a while I lose focus. I am glad to hear that the body does assume some of the responsibility, as I know I can not be counted on to be focused all the time. Again, thanks.

@bcarr That is good information, it is appreciated
I have been practicing anticipation with my sitting or standing movements and can make it to the roommost of the time.
although standing for a period of time I have no control and still leaking constantly well until my daily water process slows.

I agree that deliberate anticipation of needing to flex those muscles is is key. Eventually, at least for me, my muscles just knew to anticipate without me thinking about it very often. Now, however, I’m not good at unclenching/unchecking then, and the NAFC sent that email out in the past two weeks saying that’s bad, so I’ll talk to my gynecologist or my urologist about that next time I see them.