Re-usable Incontinence Bed Pads...

Archives1

Staff member
So how many people here use re-usable Incontinence Bed Pads? Because I've had random intermittent bedwetting issues for several years, we've always had a mattress protector pad under the bed sheet. But now that my bedwetting has become much more frequent, I have had more frequent diaper leaks too. This usually happens when I roll onto my side during sleep, and my cloth diaper gets to wet on the side for the plastic pants to contain it.

When we travel, I always put down a re-usable bed pad on top of the sheet, so I don't wet a hotel bed. I have found that the thin disposable pads usually end up all wadded up in a mess, since I move around a lot during the night. The pad I use is 34" x 36". I'm considering using that every night, even when we're at home. It's a lot easier to wash a wet bed pad than to strip the bed when a diaper leaks! The only issue I have is that even the re-usable bed pad seems to shift around during the night.

What do you folks use? Have you found a bed pad that stays put? What size do you have?

My caregiver ordered several large waterproof protectors years ago, even thou I have megamax diaper on with 3 inserts put in different directions in the diaper, plus plastic pants. Guess it gives me and caregiver security.

Boomersway... That's a thought too, using diaper inserts in different directions. I always layer my diaper inserts in the middle, but that does not help if I roll onto my side, where there is the LEAST diaper material. I suppose I could put a diaper insert around each hip and then pin the diaper over that, to hold it in place. It would be kind of bulky, but would probably stop the leaks!! (As long as my plastic pants still fit over it.) Has anyone else done this?

Caregiver lays 2 in crotch area, another across in front, another in back in a "I" pattern, then the plastic pants over
Bulk is never issue here, as staying dry is

I use Pillowfort brand sleep anywhere mats.
For me they're the only ones that actually stay under me!
I've gotten mine from Target of all places and they're very large and comfortable.
I have 4 so there's always one at the ready for middle of the night switch outs.
They're about $18 last time I looked.. take a look

Drawer... Thanks for the info. I checked out the Target website... It says they are 100% Polyester. Do they actually absorb anything, or does the liquid just stay on top?? Granted, my diaper usually absorbs everything, but when I DO leak, it's more than a teaspoon. Other than being 100% Polyester, they do look to be a good size. It's funny, (Or not...) I can put my pad directly centered under my bottom, yet often when I wake up, it's migrated down to my knees. Believe it or not, my knees NEVER pee.

@MikeD9876 hi! I hope your day is good. I use the NorthShore medium bed pad. At first, I slept with it under my bed sheets then me on top of my bed sheets and it kept slipping. A few people on here gave me the advice to sleep directly on it or use some tape to keep it in place and that has worked for me. I use overnight briefs so the pad helps to catch anything urine that might escape.

@MikeD9876 Mike as a bedwetter also here is my suggestion. I deal with intermittent bedwetting. I guess typically I bedwet 1-2 times a month now on average. sometimes its is less and sometimes it is more (times of stress or being very active in sports and get over tired) Started when I was a teen and now I am older (lets keep it at that I get to check the 45-55 age box now) So been dealing with it for quite some time.

Before I got married I had the white vinyl waterproof cover over my mattress and a non waterproof thing quilted pad over that then the sheet. After I got married (telling my hopeful soon to be wife at the time about my bedwetting, well thats a whole other story)I didn't not want to risk wetting the top sheet to where it might get her wet too. At first we added a proper quilted waterproof mattress cover but still had the top sheet we slept on. I do not tend to pee a lot when I do bedwet so thankfully I never wet so much that her side of the bed got wet also. Thought I am sure on a few times she woke to feeling the wetness on my side just from her moving as she slept and then moved way onto her side. I tried a few waterproof pads but they moved as I did and not with me but out from under me.

Finally we tried a reusable bedpan from amazon. Try searching for "RMS bed pads for incontinence washable". We got the 34"x72". It is perfect. It covers the length of our bed and is wide enough that when I turn during my sleep I am still on it. I'm not a big toss and turner so that helps. We place it on top of the bed sheet and I sleep directly on it. It is comfortable to sleep on and does not feel weird. It has really worked out great. The one I am using now we got in 2017 and it is still protecting the bed with no leaks or issues of getting the sheet under it wet.

So yes I recommend the RMS bed pads, they have worked great for me.

The RMS ones sound good too..

About the Target ones: Polyester, I know it sounds terrible, I like natural fibers..but for some reason it works well. And yes, they do absorb really well somehow, they're a real surprise find for me!

They aren't so huge that they won't fit into the washer but seem large enough to stay put.
Out of the dryer I fold them once the long way and roll them up for storing. They go on trips with me and fit well in a sleeping bag too.

8480977390ebc0bf6c80121d040f9f40.jpg

These are about 30" x 60" but don't seem that big, I just took 3 of them out of the dryer with other stuff too.

They also come in dark blue and Im planning to get one of those too - before they stop carrying them or something.

@Drawer Good suggestion. I might have to check them out for a backup.

I hadn't thought about taking a bedpad on a trip before. I just wear my RealFits and hope that if I do wet they don't leak. Hate to explain that to housekeeping or the front desk at check out.

@jrpoorman I agree. They look uncomfortable to sleep on. Like my RMS ones that are soft and feel comfortable to sleep on. I don't feel like I am sleeping on a waterproof bedwetter's pad.

I have the Champion pads from Northshore. They work good for me. I also have chux that have sticky stuff on them so they stay on the bed. Sometimes it’s hard to peel the sticky stuff off the sheets though.