Radiation after prostate removal

Archives1

Staff member
I was told at my 2 week post op that I will need radiation. 3 areas just outside but no spread anywhere else. Can anyone tell me what to expect

I had external beam radiation for my prostrate and seminal vesicle. It was for a total of 42 treatments (I did not have my prostate removed).

It was quite pain less and uneventful. I had no side effects from the radiation treatments.

I had spread into one of my seminal vesicles so I have been undergoing external beam radiation therapy which started 3 months after my prostate removal which was July 27th. They wanted me to dry up as much as possible and by 3 months I was almost dry. I am now 24 sessions into a total of 38. The procedure itself is quick and painless taking about 15 - 20 minutes total. Basically you lie there (pants off and underwear pulled down enough to expose the area) while the machine rotates around you. Unfortunately I have to drive about an hour one way for each session every day M-F but there was no way to avoid that. I have had little to no side effects other than fatigue and a slight backtracking in wetness. But we all are different so be prepared for whatever they tell you. The radiation oncologist wants to do hormone therapy along with the radiation "to make sure"but the drug is in nationwide shortage so that hasn't happened yet. He told me that adding the hormone therapy adds about 10% to the chance of total cure. My urologist has told me I have an 85% chance of cure with just the radiation so I'm hoping that means 95% with it. No way to know for sure of course.

I started with a meeting with the oncologist and then a "simulation" session where they scan your prostate bed to make sure they are beaming in the right area. They will then tattoo 3 or 4 very small marks that the radiation techs will use to line you up properly at each session.

Good luck to you!

Lmm- curious the doc’s could determine you needed radiation treatment so soon after surgery. Would surmise that pathology results came back showing traces of cancer around the edges of the prostate.

The good news is the radiation treatment is quick and painless. You should expect daily treatments for some period of time until the urologist is satisfied that they have fully removed any vestiges of cancer.

Don’t be surprised if you get a prescription for hormone treatment in addition to radiation.

Under normal protocol you will get a PSA test around the 6th week post surgery and any additional treatments of radiation or hormone treatment will be determined based on PSA results.

In my case the post-op pathology report showed that I had some cancer spread into one of my seminal vesicles and a slight positive margin so radiation was indicated. The only question was how soon to start and my urologist wanted me to wait for 3 months. He said there is a disagreement on when to start but he wanted me to wait for 3 months. My 6 week followup PSA was undetectable so he most likely is correct that waiting is OK.

Hi LMM....I recommend you do your own research and decide what's best for you. The doctors will recommend every drug and every possible treatment to ensure they're not liable down the road. I don't blame them, I would to. My doc told me I'd have to take Lupron shots for a year and then radiation to "make sure". I did the research and declined. One of my buddies did the radiation for 44 sessions after the robotic prostatectomy, per doctors orders....just to "make sure". A year later he started having blood in his urine and some pain. They determined his bladder had been scorched from the radiation. So now he's got another problem. I've done lots of research on Eastern Medicine vs Western Medicine. We have excellent medical care in the West, but there are other choices out there. It's your body and you get to decide how you want to proceed.

I am 2 weeks out from robotic RP surgery. I was told at my 2 week follow up I need to have radiation therapy, this is before I even have my first PSA. I had 1 (1-2mm) small positive margin. Grade 3a and no lymph node or vessel spread. Everything I’ve studied indicates waiting and watching PSA may be a better option instead of jumping into radiation with all the possible toxic results. Has anyone had any conversation similar to this?