Question about Kegels

Archives1

Staff member
I am 5 weeks post surgery and having incontinence of 5-6 pads per day. All my incontinence is stress induced. Bad when walking. I also notice dribbling when doing kegels. This seems reasonable to me due to standing and performing kegels but unable to get any information from the internet. What are the experiences of the people on this forum?

It seems normal to me, you're very early post surgery. My pelvic floor PT said she sees people improve at the 3 month mark, others at 6 months. Many take more time than that to get better. Kegels should shorten your timeline. Best of luck!

JimfromPA,

Welcome to the Men without a Prostate Club or MPC for short.

Doing Kegel exercises is fundamentally easy to understand, but takes some practice to do them right. Lots of YouTube or information on doing Kegel exercises and they are useful.

However, my recommendation is to find a pelvic floor physical therapist to help coach you in doing the Kegel exercises correctly.

If you are a frequent visitor to this forum you will find various recommendations on number of repetitions, number of sets, frequency of sets and other thoughts on how to improve your continence through practicing of Kegel exercises.

I will refrain from making a recommendation and defer that strategy to you and your urologist or physical therapist.

What I will tell you is that practicing Kegels will help accelerate your recovery. The emphasis is on the word “help”. Your body still has to recover from the shock of the surgery and that takes time.

It appears that you are on the right glide path for your recovery. Kegels help, so will time and other physical activity.

Good luck,
Greensleeves

Kegels can take a long time. I've been doing them for months for my issues and have definitely noticed some improvement in that I can make it to the toilet now and again having pretty much lost all control. It's a long road though as I still need protection as I do have big accidents regularly but little by little things are getting better.

It's the same as my physio for chronic fatigue - it can take a couple of years.

Greensleeves351 said:
JimfromPA,

Welcome to the Men without a Prostate Club or MPC for short.

Greeny, wouldn't the MWAPC sound more 'official' and representative of our condition? When do I get my official membership card in the mail?!! LOL!!!

@Jimfrompa,

I too was wondering if I was doing the Kegels right (or even if I am spelling it right - !!!) but my Dr. said if you can stop your urine mid-stream, that is a correct Kegel! That is the ONLY way I knew I was doing it right.

He had me start pre-RP surgery - once I knew what it felt like, I could do them any time. I can still stop mid-stream now, post-op, when I have a full bladder, so when you do, maybe try that!

Praying for continued improvement for you and all of us!

+God+bless+

Have sleep difficulties pre surgery which doesn’t help. 5 weeks post surgery still having stomach tightness. Doctor said I had thick abdominal muscles and large prostate so my recovery may take a little longer.

Are used to think I knew what I was doing with Kegels, but then I met with a physical therapist who specializes in teaching people to *really* do Kegels, and found out I was only doing them *sort of* correctly. It was the turning point for me to be able to leave the house at last, after I worked with her. She is in Salt Lake City, but I’m sure wherever you are you can find one – “a pelvic floor physical therapist” is what you would call the hospital to ask for. Otherwise, you’ll never be sure you’re doing it right. No online video could possibly teach you what this woman taught me with her hands on my body.

Hello everyone. I had my Radical Prostectomy 5 months ago. I started doing my kegels as normal for 2 months, then switched to the K-fit Kegel Toner for men. After 3 months of doing these electrical stimulation exercises I have noticed a slight improvement in the control and volume of urine but the problem of dribbling persists. Can someone tell me if they have had experience with electrical stimulation and if these exercises are more effective than traditional Kegels? I would greatly appreciate your comments as they are very inspiring and encourage us to continue in the fight.

My Ph.D. physical therapist told me that it just takes time so you might as well just do them naturally. Most women fortunately do them naturally without ever thinking about it the entire time during any sexual sensation of being turned on, beginning around age 10-12, then through any sexual activity, or when pregnant, or in labor, so it’s not a particularly big deal for us to just learn the slight change we need to make to adjust our Kegels to include the entire pelvic floor instead of just our vaginal area.

Learning the proper way to do Kegels from a physical therapist definitely improved my life. I thought I was doing them right, but I wasn’t using my entire pelvic muscle even I was doing them. Before physical therapy, I had such an overactive bladder I couldn’t control, that I was getting up every 10-20 minutes when I was watching a movie in the theater, and usually peeing myself before I could get to the toilet. I see about four movies a week in the theater so this was very annoying and embarrassing to me. And I would get almost no warning and had so many accidents that forced me to leave the theater.

But I taught myself to recognize the earliest bladder warning signs that I need to pee, and then earnestly practiced my Kegels kind of all day so that I could at least get about a five minute warning before I had to go out to the toilet. Now I can make it through most movies with only one trip to the bathroom, thanks to the ability to flex my Kegels to keep the pee in. Same thing in big box stores - now, 95% of the time, I get enough warning to make it to the bathroom.

So I ***definitely*** recommend investing in doing your Kegels. I have an electronic stimulator for my back (a.k.a. a TENS unit), and it helps a little bit while I’m wearing it – but that’s the problem – it only helps while I’m wearing it. I get no other benefit from it. It never changed, improved, or strengthened any muscle control or pain in my back. You can’t leave it on all the time, so I quit using it and started using a heating pad any time I’m sitting down.

Now, like I say, I am a woman, so it’s different for me. But I know that I’ve seen both men and women on this website over the years, post that you’ve got to get the proper Kegel training through physical therapy, not just YouTube or Google. I have seen one good YouTube about Kegels but I don’t remember which it was. A man here posted the link. You’ve got to have a physical therapist like actually touch you and teach you where the muscles are. It only takes 1-3 sessions so it’s pretty fast and easy learning.

Most men on here who had RPs say it takes 1-2 years but ultimately most gave to continue wearing pads for the rest of their lives. A few get lucky and do not.

I think @thudson1965 may have a good list he made to share with you about Kegels. He watches the forum still but also gets severe migraines so can’t always respond.

Thank you very much Snow for sharing your experiences. I will review the links you sent, since in the forums we find many things that doctors do not tell us.

Cajunfisherman said:
This lady has a series of YouTube vids and was recommended on here.

Thank you for sharing that link. Michelle is wonderful. I had my prostatectomy done Oct 27 and the catheter came out Dec 27. That thing leaked the entire time so I always had to have some sort of protection on and or under me. The post op nurse told me the Kegels helped him get control back but I assumed I had to wait until the catheter came out. I should of been doing these as soon as I was able to move without pain in the stomach area where they put the 6 holes in me. I have been doing the Kegels now for 3 days but following the hospital recommendations. The 10 second timer and rapid contractions at the end help a lot more than my counting to 5 and releasing. I have to go back to work in a couple of weeks so it is important to me to get some sort of progress prior but know that 6 months to a year is more the normal time frame.

Wow. Long time for catheter. I had for 3 weeks due to bleeding and was ready to go crazy. I leaked with catheter also. Walked a lot and did kegels after removal of catheter. I’m 3 months post RP and down to 2 pads per day. And pads not soaked. When I first returned to work I used external catheter with leg bag became I was used 6-7 pads per day. And they were soaked. Hopefully you have more patience than me. And hang in there. It will get better.

Thank you, that is helpful. I did not know there was an external catheter and bag. I am past embarrassment of any sort, so there is that. Nothing I can do about it and too old to care anyway. Just deal with it best I can and not sweat the (not so)small stuff I guess. I have a good team at work and being the boss doesn't hurt. Thanks again.