pull ups that work

Archives1

Staff member
My husband has dementia and is incontinent. I stop fluids after 4pm and try to have him pee before going to bed - most nights he cannot. He wears super absorbent pull ups at night plus waterproof underpants over the pull ups. Most mornings he is very wet and sometimes the pull ups are still dry! I don't know what else to do. Are there any tricks, suggestions, anything to get this under control? Thanks

I think a night diaper would be better and something that rides up his chest nice and high to catch the void if he is a side sleeper. Try putting a pair of underpants over the plastic pants so that he can see his normal pants are on and need pulling down. Have you got a commode next to the bed? That might help, or a urinal on the table, something visible that he might remember how to use? Some clients have dressed their loved ones in a onesie so everything is nice and contained down there. Invest in several mattress protectors so you can have one in the wash, one drying and one ready to go in the wash etc. Hope some of that helps and good luck.

A few quick things.
First do not have him stop drinking. That can cause bacteria build up in the bladder. That can cause an infection that spreads to the kidneys.
Pull-ups do not provide good coverage for sleeping and are still subpar during the day. For sleep a plastic backed brief (betterdry is amazing) is key. A cloth backed brief sometimes has the tapes come off or get stuck to the bedding and that makes them ineffective.
When he puts the brief on, make sure his penis is pointed down (toward the center of the diaper). This is key to not leaking during the night.

Forgot that, sorry. Also try to get him in the habit of going every 2 hours throughout the day so he doesn't go to bed with a full bladder.

Pull-ups for overnight are almost always going to leak, unless he is able to get up to use the bathroom. If he is willing to use a diaper is pretty much the only way to keep the bed dry. There is a possibility of using a pull up thicker cloth diaper with the plastic pants works pretty well.