PSA Test results

Archives1

Staff member
Had my semi-annual prostate exam last Thursday. In December my number was 8.15. Had prostate biopsy done with no signs of cancer. New number was 5.4. Have no clue why it dropped so much. I do drink green tea at the suggestion of my previous urologist. Maybe this helped, or possibly a lab error

@artiejr I wouldn’t trust either number; I would get a third test, average them out, and trust that average.

The first time I had a significant increase in my number, the first thing my urologist did was send me to a different facility to be rechecked. That was to make sure there wasn’t an issue with their equipment calibration. Point being, err on the side of caution and good luck going forward.

My path was:

1. High PSA
2. MRI that revealed high likelihood of cancer
3. Biopsy ... clean!
4. Baffled and concerned urologist (God bless him) reached out to colleagues for input
5. One suggested he do a sonogram-guided biopsy
6. That biopsy found the cancer, leading to lifesaving surgery

My urologist thinks it's due to an enlarged prostate. No other signs of cancer. Repeat testing in 6 months.

From my own experience at 75 yrs old with 15 years of an elevated PSA, 4 needle biopsies, and taking Finasteride for 15 years, and lastly a hybrid Ultrasound/MRI biopsy(can't remember the exact name of the test, but it found the cancer)........... My last PSA was 11.2, but Finasteride artificially masks the PSA by 0.5X, so my real number was 22. Much of the 15 years was in the 11 - 15 range(corrected).

I elected to have a radical robotic prostatectomy last April, 2022. You don't disclose your age, or other PSA test results. No doctor ever mentioned green tea to me. I wish it was that simple.

Never simple or easy to deal with I hope the biopsy was correct there standard layout of points to take tissue from can miss. I've had several biopsy's my first one showed 1 location positive same Dr. same layout 2nd showed negative why is anyone's guess I did have and had a R.P
I'm hoping you and your Dr.keep a close eye.

I am nearing 72. Had PSA blood work done for probably over 20 years. My dad had prostate, but he passed away from lung cancer caused by being in the Navy. He was 89 when he died.

@artiejr

For several years my PSA was tested and remained steady. THEN the results went up slightly. Urologist did a biopsy and I had eight small cancers in one quadrant. Removed prostate. I still get annual PSA tests. "Prostate cancer can be located somewhere other than in the prostate," my urologist told me. I'm saddled with incontinence, but not with prostate cancer. I'm 88. Surgery was in August 2008. We need to touch all the bases when we are running for a home run.

@DanCarr You're right about prostate cancer being able to be anywhere in the body. My ex-husband currently has terminal rectal cancer and by the time he had his first symptom, it had already spread to his lymph system and liver. Here’s what really surprised me: the oncologist told him that when you have your primary cancer (say rectal) then it spreads to your liver, then the cancer on your liver is also rectal cancer.

I am with larryw61. I would push for an MRI. I think that should have been done prior to the biopsy. The MRI is non-invasive and will also provide an indication of the prostate condition and whether it is probable cancer cells have escaped. The biopsy is a procedure which carries with it fear and pain, as I am sure you now know and also potential after effects, which can be very severe. The MRI would show up areas of concern and guide the consultant as to where samples should be taken. Bear in mind, the biopsy samples taken are very small samples and although ten, twenty or thirty samples are taken, that represents only a limited cover of the prostate. Also, exercising and sexual activities within 48 hours can affect PSA readings, so my consultant advised. I would also have thought another PSA test in 3 months if further action is not possible. I don't think green tea kills cancer cells. The world would be so grateful if that was the case. If it is unfortunatley considered a posibility that cancer cells have escaped the prostate, as noted by Snow, then a bone scan and organ scan would be needed.

In my experience top Dr's in highly ranked hospitals, Sloane Kettering. NYU Langone will do an MRI after an elevated PSA. If anything suspicious is found they will proceed to a targeted biopsy with the MRI and ultrasound as input to
a biopsy machine such as Artimus. That seems to be the current state of the art.

The PSA being high is not always because of prostate cancer, some other causes are enlarged prostate (BPH) and prostate inflammation.
As suggested by others it is best to have an MRI which can show locations in the prostate that may be cancerous and allowing the biopsy to be targeted to these areas.
I had a PSA of 5.4 and because of my pelvic pain, urge incontinence, urinary frequency my urologist wanted to look for prostate cancer and ordered an MRI. The MRI showed a 2.5 cm lession on the right side and they PIRADS of 5 which indicated most likely significant cancer. They used the MRI at the biopsy to target the lession area and do an overall biopsy. The biopsy samples of the lession on the right side showed significant cancer Gleason 7. All biopsy samples of the left side showed no cancer. All biopsies of the right side showed non significant cancer. I had the radical prostatectomy in September last year. I am happy to say my 7 month PSA test was < .02 indicating no cancer seen. My pelvic pain has gotten worse and my urge incontinence has increased but the stress incontinence caused by the surgery has continued to improve.
I am glad my urologist had given me the MRI, it worked out well for me.
The cancer is my number one priority. My second priority is to lessen my pelvic pain to a manageable level. The pelvic pain use to come and go and when it goes away I do not have urge incontinence or frequency issues. The problem is the pelvic pain has become chronic and can cause fecal issues at times. I am managing this with briefs currently. I am going to physical therapy currently for the pelvic pain which I am having trouble withstanding and incontinence.
Hopefully you have no significant prostate cancer but I would like to have an MRI to give me better assurance or determine if another targeted biopsy needs to be done. I am not a Dr but it would make me feel better
Best Wishes. Tim

@all
The MRI people above are "right on!" I don't remember if I had an MRI before the biopsy. I must have had an MRI. If I didn't, I certainly should have. I do remember the drama of the multiple times the device bit me. (This thread is a good thread to remember.)

@all
My urologist told me that a sudden rise in PSA reading is more significant than a steady high reading. (That was me.) Also, people who use tobacco in any form may have a higher PSA reading than those who do not use tobacco. I knew a woman who dipped snuff and had a high PSA reading.