PSA spike

Archives1

Staff member
Went to my urologist last week and saw NP. Going over my blood work my PSA was 1.1 in July and jumped to 3.8 this month.
She said to do more bloodwork in 2 months and scheduled me to see my Urologist. She then did a prostate check and told me I have a really small prostate.
Is it normal to have your PSA jump that much in such a short time?
Does having a small prostate have any significance?

Thanks for any information.

I have had my PSA done for years due to family history with ups and downs. Mine then went above 5 to stat so had biopsy and RP. Many things can elevate PSA like recent sexual activity or riding a bike. I wouldn’t get to concerned until it continues to go up. I had as high as 8 then when down to 2 few months after.

Before my diagnosis after every finger test Many different people they all said no enlarged prostate. The did ultrasound and was like oh yeah you have enlarged prostate.

There can be many reasons for a PSA jump. Sometimes it fluctuates. I like you had a small prostate and had a jump followed by an up-and-down climb to 7+.

My GP didn't pull the trigger until it got up there.
Subsequently, my surgeon said he waited too long and that I should have had an MRI sooner.
If I did I might not have had the incontinence issues.
If you can get an MRI do so.

@MarineJohn - I believe that you had a surgery this summer which may cause the spike in your PSA. Biotin (Vitamin B7) may elevate PSA blood test results - something in the range of 500% RDA.

At the moment - the retest in two months and the waiting is the hardest part.

My prostate was small, but I had a 1 point jump in PSA 2 consecutive years (1.1, 2.3, then 3.3). My cancer was caught early. My cancer was on the front side of the prostate so it was not felt with a digital exam.

My understanding from my own experience with Prostate cancer (and advice from my Urologists) is to monitor the trend line over multiple PSA test results. I assume you have had other PSA tests prior to the July and most recent (December?) tests. Your Urologist is probably looking for a trend line that indicates something. A flat trend line with low PSA scores is much less a concern than a trend line of increasing scores. And other commenters who mentioned activities such as sex or bicycling can temporarly increase PSA scores so dont have sex, ride a bike, or do anything that could impact the purineal area of your body.

@MarineJohn,

My elevated PSA started my whole journey to my RP.

I was told that a larger prostate, which mine was, may explain the higher PSA (so, a smaller prostate should have lower PSA, relatively speaking).

My original escalated PSA was followed up w/ more PSA blood tests, then a biopsy, which confirmed the cancer. Originally, I was told that my cancer was slow growing and that people with my type usually die from something else...I was advised to do Active Surveillance for a year. After a year, a MRI & another biopsy later, I was told there was more there that the first biopsy didn't find and the MRI did and now I needed to do something fairly quickly...either radiation or surgery. I went with robotic surgery, as after radiation, robotic surgery was off the table and surgery would be more difficult, but if needed after surgery, radiation was no problem.

Post-op, I was told mine was stage 3 and moved from my prostate to my seminal vesicles (which I didn't even know I had and I am 54 yrs old!) so, could be in my bloodstream and show up anywhere in my body!

In hindsight, I probably should not have waited the year, but just didn't know. At the time, I had NO SYMPTOMS of any kind...

Now, I am doing PSA tests to see if follow-up radiation will be necessary... the first two tests have been undetectable, so if that continues, then no radiation. Praying and prayers are appreciated!!!

+God+bless+, everyone!!!