Protection Technique

Archives1

Staff member
Hey Guys;

It's Honeeecombs here, and I wanted to talk about a technique that has worked for myself when bladder spasms and leakage become bad and also works when resting with protection that is more discreet.

For younger adults who suffer and are more mobile; have you found that wearing a brief backwards has helped decrease your chances of leaking when laying down? I think the best protection I've used hands down is Tranquility ATN products for there overnight absorbency but at the moment I am limited in regards to protection because I had to go for more cost saving measures.

Anyway, I have found wearing my protection backwards on bad spasm days when I suffer from constant leakage (which worsens while resting/laying down for some reason) - acts more as a "shield" as it protects more in the stomach and area around the pelvis.

Can anybody relate to protection for men not sometimes being adequate enough in the front?

Blessings In Christ,
Honeeecombs

@Honeeecombs I've had issues with leakage over the front. I haven't dried putting anything on backwards but I've found BetterDry has good protection at the front as unlike most products, it seems to rise higher at the front than the back. I blow hot and cold with them though, I've attributed some rash issues to them in the past but I think I was taping them too tight around the thighs. I've started taping them differently and haven't had any issues. Due to the rising costs, I've had to go back to them as I still find them the best value for money.

Sci_Fi_Fan said:
@Honeeecombs I've had issues with leakage over the front. I haven't dried putting anything on backwards but I've found BetterDry has good protection at the front as unlike most products, it seems to rise higher at the front than the back. I blow hot and cold with them though, I've attributed some rash issues to them in the past but I think I was taping them too tight around the thighs. I've started taping them differently and haven't had any issues. Due to the rising costs, I've had to go back to them as I still find them the best value for money.

I generally haven't had troubles with leakage (when I refer to leakage I mean the inability to hold urine) - as long as I'm positioned correctly.

As an able bodied man; I can dress while standing up so the backwards technique has worked for myself for ensuring added protection.

For sleeping; I've always slept on my back so I typically fit my protection in the correct manner. I've just found issues during the day while laying on my stomach when I suffer from severe spasms which causes leakage.

I typically purchase from Northshore when I buy online - there generic products are pretty reasonable in the states. Other than that; when I can afford to, I purchase from a medical supply store.

Blessings in Christ,
Honeeecombs

Hi Honeeecombs, I second @Sci_Fi_Fan re the better drys. They have a lot more padding at the front than many other heavy duty nappies and work for me when I am not using cloth. I recently started buying the Molicare maxi plastic backed nappies as they are cheaper than better dry in Australia. For my second order I purchased one size larger than my actual size because the lower tapes were digging in to my upper thighs and making it hard for me to fall asleep and because I needed more absorbency and a higher rise at the front for when I have accidents while sleeping on my stomach. This has worked well for me and I am able to get a tight enough fit around the legs to prevent any leaks from there despite wearing a size too big.

@Honeeecombs - I've also had products leak on me - with depressing frequency.
Normally I wear form pads (non-tabbed) both day and night because these are the only kind of absorbents provided by the health system, and I always wear them with the larger side to the front rather than to the back.

I say "larger side" rather than front/back as the continence nurse who first introduced the products to me explained that the form pads were a unisex product designed for the large side to be at the back for females and at the front for males.

This sounds logical (given the different anatomy of males vs females) and it seems to work pretty well through the day (I side-sleep, so they're not so good at night). I definitely find that the pads absorb well at the point the fluid is emitted, but they are not so good at wicking moisture from front to back. Having the majority of the absorbency at the side closest to where the fluid comes out seems a good way to maximise how much is absorbed before the product leaks.

I'm not sure how well this experience would translate to a tabbed brief, though. The last time I was in hospital I was put into tabbed briefs, and one time the product was changed the nurse put the fresh brief onto me backwards, saying it would maximise absorbency. Admittedly it didn't leak, which was a plus, but I found having the brief tabbed on backwards was quite uncomfortable. It really felt as if it was not designed to be worn that way. Plus, I've no idea how you could self-apply a brief if the tabs had to be fixed on the back of the brief. It would take a lot more flexibility and dexterity than I have. But if that works for you - all good.

Whatever stops a product leaking has got to be a good thing.

I’ve not had any luck sleeping in any disposables and I’ve tried them all. I wet numerous times in my sleep and have only been able to contain most of it with thick cloth and well fitting plastic pants. Waterproof covering the mattress is essential for the couple nights a week when I have some leaking.
During the day better dry or xp5000 work very well as I can usually get 12 hours out of each diaper. Both of those are very comfortable and thankfully I never get any rashes from being wet.