Prostatectomy

Archives1

Staff member
After my prostatectomy I noticed that I had irritation in my throat.
I soon realized I must have been on a respirator during the operation. Can anybody out there tell me if that is a normal procedure during a prostatectomy. The operation left me with severe incontinency. In the beginning I dealt with it by wearing depends. After some research on the internet I found a product called Bio Derm which is an external catheter glued to my penis. It really helped me to live with my incontinency. I change it every 2 days. There is a learning curve in how to properly apply it but once you get it you can say goodbye to pads.
But getting back to my question, is it normal procedure during a prostatectomy to be put on a respirator?

Bert

I didn't have a respirator. I tried Mens Liberty- bio derm too expensive I had too many problems with it.
I eventually had an AUS . Now Im pretty much bac to normal

Guess the easiest answer is “it depends”. Not the diaper but whether you get a respirator. In some hospitals it standard protocol for long procedures. In others it only done if there is an anomaly in your vitals during the procedure. Best answer is to consult your surgeon on reason for respirator use.

I was on a respirator during my prostatectomy and experienced a very sore throat afterwards. It went away but took probably 5-6 days before I didn't notice it.

Best,

Bill

You most likely was intubated with a endotracheal tube or lma and placed on a ventilator during your surgery. As they give you meds via your iv that will paralyze all your muscles and this will cause you to not be able to breath on your own. So they intubate you to secure your airway and connect you to the ventilator that breaths for you. Also they preform the intubation after your asleep from the other meds they give via your iv and you won't know it. At that point you're already paralyzed and the anesthesiologist is breathing for you with a bag that he's squeezing with his hand he /she can tell if paralysis meds are taking effect just by squeeze of the bag by means of if and how much resistance there is. I've been under general anaesthesia many times. And only once I was still awake when the anesthesiologist turned on the anesthetic gasses ie they hadn't injected anything via the iv because the iv failed and needed to be redone .at that time the gases where kicking my butt.

That is a great explanation and it’s why the anesthesiologist looks in your mouth and throat before the surgery.
I think it’s pretty normal to be incubated during most surgeries.
And I also had a sore throat for a few days.
But that was minor comparatively to everything else I was dealing with.
Thank you for sharing the external catheter option.
I had never heard of it before.
I have an appointment with my surgeon in a few weeks and I will discuss of the incontinent options.
Including surgery which I’m researching.

Thanks to all for responding.
My prostatectomy was in May of 2020. My throat irritation lasted for about 2 weeks. After the operation I had sharp pain in my shoulder. Then in November I developed a different kind of pain in my left shoulder joint when I raise my arm. Don't know if it is related to the operation. I Still have pain.
Before operation my urologist surgeon told me I could have incontinency from one week to one month. I then asked what could be done if it did not go away and he said that there were other procedures that they could do to fix it. I don't remember exactly but I think he said there was a 10% chance of permanent incontinency. I thought that having a 90% chance of success was worth taking the risk so I agreed to the operation. I don't know if that could be construed as malpractice. I chose surgery over radiation because of the pandemic. I did not want to be in and out of clinics and was told that surgery is the "gold standard" by my regular urologist. I had to wait until May because of the moratorium on surgery.
With my bad luck I am afraid of any further surgery to correct my condition. I know my condition is permanent because even when I try to hold back my urine it continues to drip. If you can afford Bio Derm, or Medicare will pay, I recommend it.

@bert88 A couple of things I noticed about your original post. You said you are wearing an external catheter. I highly recommend you read How to Survive Prostate Cancer by Dr. Patrick Walsh. Dr. Walsh pioneered the nerve sparing techniques to preserve urinary and sexual control.

In the section on regaining continence, he specifically states that you should not under any circumstances use anything other than a diaper when recovering from a radical prostatectomy. Using an external catheter or clamp etc, will only delay your recovery as you will never develop the muscle control you need.

I had my surgery six weeks ago, I am down to one pad a day. After my catheter was removed, I was leaking like a sieve. It was extremely concerning. I walked every day even before my catheter was removed. I am up to three miles a day now. It's very uncomfortable walking when your leaking but I forced myself to do it. It appears to have paid off for me. I did wear a external catheter early on for a day and a half before I referenced Dr. Walsh's chapter on regaining urinary control. I immediately removed it.

An excerpt from Dr. Walsh's book:

The Return of Urinary Control

Some men are lucky. They are dry from the moment the catheter is removed. They can stop their stream on a dime and start it whenever they want to. The great physician Sir William Osler once made a perceptive comment that applies here: “The man who is well wears a crown that only the sick can see.” Men who are continent immediately after radical prostatectomy are blessed. Most men, however, have variable amounts of urinary leakage. You may be one of the lucky ones; then again, you may not. Most likely, it will take some time for your control of urine to come back completely. For most men, this process happens in three distinct stages: Phase one is when a man can remain dry when he’s lying down. In phase two, you’re dry when you’re walking around. If you can walk to the bathroom and not urinate until you get there, that’s a great sign—it means that the sphincter is intact. And in phase three, you are dry when you stand up (using muscles that put pressure on the sphincter) after sitting. In young, healthy men operated on by an experienced surgeon, about 80 percent should be wearing no pads—or at most, a security pad to catch the occasional drop—by three months after surgery, and at twelve months, 95 to 98 percent should be continent. Note: We consider any man continent if he wears no pad or if he wears a pad that is dry. Many men continue to wear a small pad just to be safe. Your doctor may have a different definition of continence, which you should find out before surgery. However, most men (even at three months) are not very wet, and when asked in a confidential questionnaire, 96 percent stated that leakage caused little to no bother. It’s hard to believe, but urinary control does continue to improve over two years and, in an occasional patient, for even longer than that. Can you do anything to speed things along and improve your urinary control? First, whatever you do, do not wear an incontinence device with an attached bag, a condom catheter, or clamp! If you use any artificial device, you will hurt yourself in the long run. You won’t be able to recover your urinary control, because you won’t develop the muscle control you need. Until your urinary control returns completely, wear a pad such as a Serenity pad or disposable diaper such as Depends. You can get these at a pharmacy or grocery store. Some men prefer using a special kind of padded underwear called Sir Dignity briefs; your doctor should have good suggestions and perhaps even some samples for you to try. Also, until your urinary control has returned to an acceptable level, don’t force fluids. When the catheter is in, you’re asked to drink a lot of fluids to flush out the system. However, once the catheter is out, you’ve got to slow the pace considerably. Avoid drinking excessive amounts of fluids, and stay away from caffeine in all forms—coffee, tea, and even soft drinks. Caffeine is a powerful pharmacologic agent that increases the frequency and urgency with which you need to urinate. If you are being treated for high blood pressure with an alpha-adrenergic antagonist such as doxazosin (Cardura) ask your doctor to put you on a different kind of drug. Also, if you were taking tamsulosin (Flomax) for BPH, you should discontinue it. Doxazosin and tamsulosin make the sphincter relax and can make incontinence worse.

Walsh, Patrick C.; Worthington, Janet Farrar. Dr. Patrick Walsh's Guide to Surviving Prostate Cancer (p. 251). Grand Central Publishing. Kindle Edition.

James7088
Thanks for sharing.
I find it so miserable to use pads. I can hold my urine when I am lying down and to walk to the bathroom but only with effort. I walk 4.3 kilometers on my treadmill, but continue to leak into my catheter while I am walking without even knowing it. I don't see why I can't try to hold back with it on. I consider myself still in phase one. My catheter in only external and I can hold back if I try hard enough. But I can only hold back for so long and then my muscle relaxes and it starts to flow without even feeling it flow.
So I am trying to remember to hold it back while walking as much as I can.
It will be one year in May since my Prostatectomy. I will wait another year and see it things improve. If not I am considering an artificial valve.I am waiting for this covid thing to settle down.
Again thx for sharing.