Proctologist

@billliveshere and @justej Thanks for the tips! I will be to sure to wear diapers all day that prep day, and stick close to the toilet! I’ll try to look on the bright side : losing a few pounds and eventually getting to be sedated.

Hi @justej that's probably the same stuff they gave me and I can't remember what it was called. It was literally all I could do to keep from throwing up that last glass!!! When I most reluctantly downed that last glass I said, "That's it! Enough!!"
And @snow, diapers will be fine on prep day and you'll feel like you've lost a few pounds, that's for sure! And you'll definitely begin to feel that way when you contemplate your clear liquid diet. With that you won't be able to have anything colored red, brown or purple (like grape flavored) because it will give a "false positive" when the doctor looks through the scope. Getting sedated isn't bad at all. I was dreaming I was on a beach somewhere and just felt it was completely pleasant and then woke up with no after effects from the anesthesia whatsoever. I was ready to get dressed and go home. But you definitely have to have someone bring you and take you home!!!

Snow: My state's biggest city has exactly one Family Medical Clinic that takes Medicare. One doctor quit; she said she couldn't stand another minute of some Medicare Bureaucrat telling her how to be a doctor. Sort of like that 2nd judge who overturned the previous judge's ruling forcing the hospital & doctor to give a Covid patient Horse De-wormer. He said: Judges are not Doctors or Nurses. Duh.
It must be a tough decision, after going through 6 years of Medical School, then Internship, then more training & University and Residency, racking up insane student loans....
We already have too many without Insurance.
I really don't think it is off-topic & politics to say that the medical system in the country is broke. How many times have we read on here that someone can't get in or can't afford it?

Justej: just had my very last colonoscopy. Rah Rah Rah! Yea Yea Yea!
There had to some advantage to being an old fart. ;)

Hi @AlasSouth, this whole situation about Medicare and insurance and all of that baloney is just getting to be too much!!!! Something has to be done!!! I don't know what! I don't have the answers!! If I did I'd run for president!!! And that's something I'm not about to do!!!
The medical system here is not only broken but it is just completely stymied and no one is willing to take steps to find out what is going on and fix it!!!
And I sympathize with your one doctor up there who quit and said she wasn't going to take any more guff from a Medicare bureaucrat telling her how to be a doctor! Broken, broken, broken!!!

Billliveshere: I'm sure you've seen the WWII poster of Uncle Sam peering out at you, pointing at you and saying "I Want You!"
Recently, I acquired a T-Shirt that has the same graphic, except there are some added words.
"I Want you ... To Stop Voting for Idiots!"
Pick you're own idiots.
Seriously, using the excuse for not doing anything, because one person can't change anything, is the weakest excuse for doing nothing.
There is an old song. The chorus goes something like this:

And if 2 and 2 and 50 makes a million,
We'll see that day come round,
We'll see that day come round.

Well, I'm 75 and have missed about 5 chances to vote - and only one was a national election - the military mail system got us the ballots (we were overseas - on the seas, to be precise) when the ballots were distributed 1 day after we sailed for 2 1/2 months, and the ballots were due in 1 week.
I couldn't blame the military. That was the schedule. The mail had arrived from the embassy as we were departing.
I guess I've seen the "2 and 2 and 50", but not very often. Still, we've made some progress. My mother had polio in 1908. I got the first Salk Polio vaccination as about a 2nd grader, in school, and they didn't ask our parents because our parents were asking "When do our kids get the vaccine?"
My parents belonged to a medical co-op - and I have no idea what the premium was. But, when she got polio at age 18 months, her family couldn't even afford a doctor.
Remember the March of Dimes? Pennies, nickles, dimes, and sometimes quarters, contributed by ordinary people, got us some breakthroughs. Could we do that today? (If we wanted to badly enough).
The Statue of Liberty got badly (badly!) needed re-building - and it was done with national contributions from ordinary people and children, mostly.
My dad put himself through night school to get 3 college degrees - it was affordable, and my parents didn't make much money.
When mom first went to work (as a junior in High School) because her father had just been killed in an accident, she got just about 60% of the wages of the guy doing the same job at the next desk. Her teachers didn't want her to quit school and they found her two part time jobs - and that was technically illegal. Now, I'm not sure if the gains since then cancel out the losses, or what.
I broke 3 bones as a teen - 1 a year. As near as I can figure out, as a single mother (dad had died), we didn't have medical insurance - so she asked me to stop breaking bones. "Yes, Mom." I managed to obey, that time. We could afford to keep eating, too.
I got glasses only when the Jr. High teacher discovered I couldn't see the blackboard.
I got my teeth fixed in College - the college had a medical program/insurance, (imagine that!), and we didn't know it until I got there.
But you know medical science has made huge breakthroughs. And we seem to be throwing it away.
We all want some of that research money to make some huge breakthroughs in Incontinence.
Right? Right.
2 & 2 & 50....

I've lost count of the colonoscopies I've had - it's at least 20. I was getting them twice a year for a while, but my doctor has backed off to once a year now, though my hepatologist may change it back to twice a year. I've got a combination of diseases that puts me at particularly high risk for colon cancer, so I have to get checked often.

As others have said, the prep is the worst part. The procedure itself is nothing - my last several have been with enough propofol or midazolam that I sleep through the whole thing. I've seen my insides on the TV monitor plenty of times; by now it's like watching reruns on the Discovery channel.

The last couple of times I've done the prep, the doctor has ordered clear liquids for two days before the procedure, instead of the usual one day. That's actually the worst part for me - there are few things I hate as much as trying to sit at work and concentrate when all I've had for the previous forty hours is Jello.

The easiest prep to do is the half-gallon Miralax one. You take some Dulcolax around noon, then around 7 PM you start drinking half a gallon of Gatorade mixed with a 14-dose bottle of Miralax, eight ounces every ten minutes until it's gone. You're done in the bathroom in two to three hours, and you get to sleep all night.

The full gallon prep is usually with Golytely (who named that stuff?), which comes in a big bottle that you add water to. It tastes pretty bad, but the trick is to have a glass of water handy, and immediately after drinking a glass of Golytely, rinse your mouth with water and spit it out. That gets the taste out, and helps cut down on nausea. Again, it's an eight-ounce glass every ten minutes until it's gone, which works out to 13 glasses, so the last one is two hours after the first. Expect to spend three hours in the bathroom.

Lately, though, my doctors have wanted a split prep, which they say gives better results. It's a gallon of Golytely, but you drink half of it starting at 7 PM, then you have to get up six hours before your procedure and drink the other half. Each time takes about two hours in the bathroom; the first one isn't bad, but my appointments are generally at 8 or 9 AM, so I have to get up at 2 or 3 to do the second dose, and I'm not done until 4 or 5 AM. That leaves me pretty tired the next day.

To make the prep as tolerable as possible, I like to make sure I have several rolls of very soft toilet tissue on hand, as well as Vaseline. I coat everything down there in Vaseline to keep the liquid that's coming out from coming into contact with my skin, and reapply it after every time I need to wipe it off. I go through a lot, but the stuff is cheap compared to a sore butt!

After the procedure, they always say to eat soft, bland foods to make sure I don't have nausea, but I have enough experience with these to know that I can get away with eating pretty much whatever strikes my fancy. After two days of clear liquids, I'm usually ready for something substantial!

Yeah! @ltapilot, @snow and others, It was Golytely!!!!! That sounds about rignt!!!! Instead of calling it Golytely, it should be called Go-Much-ly!!! Nothing light about it whatsoever!!!! I didn't know about having a glass of water standing by, though. It sounds simple but it's probably effective. Remember that simple things are always more effective!
But nobody ever told me to eat soft bland foods after the procedure. After having the clear liquids all day the day before I was definitely ready for real food!!!
I don't remember how much time I spent in the bathroom, but let's put it this way: You don't want to schedule a meeting or go out to a movie during that time!!!! Trust me on that!!!😄😄😄

@AlasSouth You wrote about your mom, “she got just about 60% of the wages of the guy doing the same job at the next desk.” Some things never change: that’s the current status in UT, with the largest gender wage gap in the nation at 39%. This happens because most of the population is Mormon and looks down on women working or being intelligent. It’s brutal. I’m getting close to leaving again for CA.

@ltapilot Wow, thank you so much for sharing the details of your routines and experiences. I will surely remember this when it’s my turn!

billliveshere said:
Yeah! @ltapilot, @snow and others, It was Golytely!!!!! That sounds about rignt!!!! Instead of calling it Golytely, it should be called Go-Much-ly!!! Nothing light about it whatsoever!!!

Years ago, an ulcerative colitis Usenet group I read dubbed Golytely the "Toilet Bowl Margarita," which fits perfectly.

Poopin' away again in Margaritaville,
Searching for some extra Vaseline,
Some people claim that there's a woman to blame,
But I know, my GI's really mean!

I know I wasn't thinking margaritas (toilet bowl or otherwise!) when I experienced Golytely!!! That was the first and hopefully the last time!!!! A misnomer if there ever was one! It should be Go-Much-Ly!!!

I like Go-Much-Ly (the name, not the product!) I'll have to tell the pharmacist that next time I'm sure for a prep.

Sometimes all we can do is laugh to keep ourselves from crying.