Pelvic Therapy for Urge Incontinence

Archives1

Staff member
Hey everyone,

So ya'll are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge. Im looking for pointers or advice for pursuing pelvic therapy. Ive tried the meds, and behavior stuff to modify but its not doing enough. My urologist doesnt know why my body is doing this and keeps pushing surgery, to which might not even work, or make it worse. My questions are;
What experiences have you folks had with Pelvic floor therapy?
What should I wear? (I wear the tape-on breifs when away from home, and jeans. Im mortified to bend over and expose something in front of other patients).
Will it help bed wetting/urge incontinence or is it really only for stress incontinece?
Any other advice or suggestions?

Once again thanks for everyones help and input. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas.
Bryce

its been 9 months since rp and 3 months since end of radiation. been going to pelvic floor therapy for 3 months. I do not need protection at night and since therapy started, often don't need it during the day as long as I'm not walking much. If i go out for shopping or yardwork, I have to wear protection. Hoping this works. Otherwise, I will get the sling surgery. How long do i wait? My VA doctor wants me to wait until at least a year since the surgery. I hope that works because I have heard of others who were worse after the surgery. I don't like the spurts, but one pad a day is better than having it worse than that. I don't know what tape on briefs are. I use the VA supplied Prevail maximum absorbency pads. no one in the pt office notices. And biofeedback is done in a private room.

Bryce some vital stats would be relevant like age, date of RP, how bad your Gleason was, etc. lots of past info on the forum.

I’m sure every practice is set up a bit differently but for me it was mostly in a private room with just the therapist - the therapist knows why you are there so wear what you need. There was a part of therapy , 15-20% or so where we were in a shared exercise room but always in full street clothes for that part - only other pelvic floor pt patients so pretty much every patient there was wearing a diaper.

It didn’t cure me but it did get me from about 20% control to near 80 so it may be hugely helpful. I say throw yourself into it, do everything they say and don’t worry because everyone else there is either in the same position as you, or a professional trying to help.

Edit. Maybe bring some sweats or gym shorts with you as it can give a greater range of motion when doing the hip/groin stretches. I just cganged in the exam room before and after each session.