Pelvic sling after radiation

Archives1

Staff member
I had a radical prostatectomy 18 months ago, followed by salvage radiation that ended 11 months ago. I recovered my continence well within 6 months of the surgery, most of the time having much less than an ounce of leakage per day. The radiologist warned me that the treatments “wouldn’t help.” The leakage did get worse, averaging 1.5 ounces per day from August through late November last year. Then, the spigot turned on. I’m hitting 20 or more ounces per day now.

One doctor told me that I simply was not a good candidate for the pelvic sling due to my radiation treatments. I’d like to hear from anyone who had radiation, and then the sling. I’m considering the sling, AUS, or urethral bulking. I need something to stop the flood.

My partner had radiation following a robotic prostatectomy. Some time later he had a sling inserted. It did not work. The surgeon was disappointed to the extent that he halved his fee.He said that the problem was that the radiation had altered the bodily tissue. Partner is now considering an AUS.

I was at 20 oz per day after prostate removal for about 2 years and the kegels did nothing. Had AUS inserted about a year ago and now leak about 1 oz per day. major improvement in quality of life

Fine, i'm still at less than an oz a day and life is much easier with the AUS. Now I wear a small pad inside a jock strap and it works great. I would definitely do it again.

1 year. It is a sensitive area and simply needs time to heal. There is no rehab required, like knee and shoulder surgery (both of which I have had) so there is no prolonging the pain. But, surgery is always painful, so no avoiding that. The pain was worth it for me because I had reached my tolerance of sitting in wet pads every day and feeling the squirts come out without any control. The latter was even worse than the wet pads for me.

That is how I feel 2 sling surgeries later and still have to change 3 times a day ...I will be going for the AUS as well and I have endured much pain in life so I know how it is ...I just wish there was a other alternative ...if they can remove your prostate robotically, spare your nerves and so on with this major surgery why can't they cure a man incontinence....

Very true, but the AUS is as close to curing it as they can come. Be aware, however, the AUS is no better than the surgeon who puts it in. There is cuff that goes around the urethra and it takes many surgeries for your surgeon to get that tension correct. Do your homework and make sure you have selected the best surgeon you can get, one that does this day in and day out.

Best of luck to you.

What do you mean many surgeries to get the tension correct ...I know all about the procedure and also to get a Dr that has performed many of these ...So are you saying when they cut to open to do this procedure as I know there is a cuff that goes around urethra they cut you again months later ..explain please I thought and never heard of it being different surgeries. My research is they place it get the correct tension and hope it last 10 yes

yes, it is one surgery and the cuff is what is attached to the pump and goes around the urethra. If its too loose you will leak and if its too tight it will wear a hole in the urethra, so the the tension on the cuff around the urethra has to be correct to work properly. The more they do it, the better the results, like everything else.