Pelvic floor stimulation

Here too, I didn't want to, urology PA strongly recommended, so I went, therapist was not into doing her therapy, she kept telling to keep coming. Well after 5 appointments, the rest is history.

I used a home device, 30min daily for 3 months, and although it did not 'cure' me, it has been a big help.I'm 75% better. I've researched this, going a few times a week to a therapist doesn't help, it's the daily for 3 months treatment that works best.

I have had good luck with both PT/Kegels and e-stim. However, I think the results you might achieve is directly related to the cause of your incontinence. In my case I have a condition called ISD (intrinsic sphincter deficiency) which means my internal sphincter does not close properly (this was caused by damage done during a prostate surgery). Think of an old leaky faucet...no matter how tightly you turn the handle it always leaks, because the washer is damaged or just worn out. My incontinence is characterized by constant slow leakage of urine (think "drip....drip....drip"), with periodic and sometimes unpredictable "squirts" of urine.

I got plugged into doing Kegels shortly after my January, 2017 surgery. I was convinced that, since my internal sphincter was permanently damaged, I would have to rely on my external sphincter to be stronger & faster-contracting to slow down the leakage of urine.

I decided to switch urologist about a year after surgery, and my new doctor suggested I do 6 sessions with his PT. I reluctantly agreed, as I felt like I was already getting the maximum value out of the Kegels I was doing. The PT focused on 2 things - how strong was my pelvic floor, and was there anything happening in my pelvic floor that was contributing to my leakage.

She used the bio-feedback capabilities of her Urostym pelvic floor rehabilitation system (made by Laborie) to measure the strength of my pelvic floor. She also used the system to measure muscle spasm activity in my pelvic floor. Turns out I was having quite a bit of spasm activity, that I had no clue about as this is something you wouldn't notice yourself. The spasms were putting instant pressure on my bladder, resulting in the "squirts" I would have randomly throughout the day. After 6 sessions of e-stim she was measuring no spasm activity, and my "squirts" went from 12-15 per day down to 1-3 per day. I was so pleased with the result that I had the PT ordered a home unit that I still use at least 2-3 times a week.

The secret to my success with e-stim was that the PT used the technology to determine WHAT was happening in my pelvic floor to cause the "squirts" (the muscle spasms), and exactly how to program the system to reduce the spasm activity.

Cmulee’s info was excellent. I tried for 5 weeks PT.!I agree that the success is tied to what the causative factor may be. The pelvic floor exercises may not solve your specific issue but I believe they have an overall positive effect on pelvic floor health.