pediatric neurogenic bladder

Archives1

Staff member
I'm looking for any info I can find regarding pediatric neurogenic bladder. Approaches to helping children with this. What options there are and anyone who has been through this with their children that's willing to give insight into their own experiences.

I bedwet my entire life and struggled with pants wetting growing up. I had thick training pants I used during the day to help contain my leaks between hurrying to get to bathrooms too many times a day. I wore thick cloth diapers at night until high school then dealt with flooded sheets every night. Dr. visits were embarrassing having to talk to nurses and dr's about bed wetting. I had wet alarms, nasal sprays and other prescribed medications, all of which did nothing. I never had a through euro study done until I was in my 30's when it was discovered I had a neurogenic bladder and the study tech said I had this condition for a very long time (how she knew this I have no idea). Anyway the dr. said with no evidence of a spinal condition or accident I probably had it from birth. I was frustrated and even angry after going all those years beating myself up for not controlling my bladder I discover I never had a chance of gaining control. The dr. said they could do surgery which "may" help the issue but I have a pretty bad record when it comes to surgical proceedures so decided to just manage the issue, which I do.

I continence is a symptom of another problem. If you have not done so already, get the child to a urologist. It is possible that they may not be able to find th cause. In the mean time make sure that adequate protection is available to avoid embarrassing situations for the little one.