Oxybutynin and pneumonia

Archives1

Staff member
I'd thought I'd share what I just learned (the hard way). I was diagnosed with pneumonia and atelectasis a week ago and after a ton of tests and x-rays I was told there was a possibility that Oxybutynin is the cause. Doc said because I take a high dose (30mg daily) it's very possible so I'm here warning others to be careful. She said it wasn't common but due to the dose amount and the fact I never had a fever, never felt sick except the pressure on my chest laying down.
Oxybutynin in my case is like doing deals with the Devil...

I hated that crap. So many side effects, never anything like what you had but the headaches and other issues made it impossible to deal with. Ive tried 2 other meds since and also had side effects. This class of drugs is pretty brutal but for those with only minor side effects i guess the trade off is worth it.

I don't know your insurance & financial situation, but 2 questions. Have you have your pneumonia shot? I can't remember how long it is good for. 5 years? 10 years? I know my Doctor was not pleased when he discovered I had let it lapse. (So was I). I don't know the cost, as our insurance paid for it.
Before you get it, ASK your Doctor if it is "counter-indicted", considering your situation!
There seem to have been far too many reports on here against Oxybutynin.
Considering Covid19's effects on the lungs, have you managed to get your Covid shots? You should ask about that, too, even if you have had them, I'd guess
Take care of your self, and God Bless.

artiejr: My thanks.
My employer, for retired insurance, covers very little "preventive medicine", would rather pay the hospital bills, doctor's bills, and ICU bills. They don't pay for funeral bills. Then they bitch about the cost of our insurance after the Legislature underfunded the trust fund so they could use the money for Pork. And that was when we were awash in oil money, which we aren't now. Go figure.
However, they have made exception during Covid, for Covid tests and shots. A few other shots are now being covered, during Covid.
We are retired, on Medicare as primary, and my understanding is Medicare paid for the Covid shots.
2 reasons to worry. This increase of "preventive medicine" is related to Covid. At "Townhalls" and in printed material, the employer (State of AK), indicated it is temporary. Also, they just hemmed and hawed when asked if Covid shot would be continued to be covered. Also, the Governor refuges to extend the State of Emergency, and so did the Legislature that he dumped the responsibility on. (Never use a preposition to end a sentence with). The headlines were about the fear of the hospitals that they won't be able to get the finacial help they need for this, especially the smaller ones. We are at ICU capacity in the big city, I believe, and this state has many rural residents without Docs, Nurses, much less clinic or hospitals, and Anchorage is were they get medivaced to. We have little capacity left in our local smaller hospitals, in my area. Plus, they are treating patients in the regular wards that don't need ICU care.
Other states either never declared Emergency, or have let it lapsed.
Our medical system is broken.
Scary. Our tax dollars at work.

AlasSouth said:
I don't know your insurance & financial situation, but 2 questions. Have you have your pneumonia shot? I can't remember how long it is good for. 5 years? 10 years? I know my Doctor was not pleased when he discovered I had let it lapse. (So was I). I don't know the cost, as our insurance paid for it.
Before you get it, ASK your Doctor if it is "counter-indicted", considering your situation!
There seem to have been far too many reports on here against Oxybutynin.
Considering Covid19's effects on the lungs, have you managed to get your Covid shots? You should ask about that, too, even if you have had them, I'd guess
Take care of your self, and God Bless.

I use the VA healthcare (I'm a Veteran) and believe it or not get reasonable to good care most of the time. No, I've never had the pneumonia shot but I'll inquire, thanks.

My husband and I have Medicare and Tricare for Life, due to my retirement from the military. My husband uses the VA for a lot of his healthcare due to his Agent Orange residuals. We have found the VA healthcare system to be very responsive. They are great about making sure all vaccines are kept up to date. They are on top of the Covid vaccines for veterans. We can't say enough.

I had a situation that I couldn't find a Gyn because no one seemed to want to take Medicare because of poor reimbursement. The VA does a community referral if the VA can't get you into a VA doc within 30 plus days.

This may be a little off topic. I guess the bottom line is keep track of what medical tests or vaccines that you should have due to your age and then go through your medical team.