New

Archives1

Staff member
Hello-

I am very much trying to connect with people struggling with this. I am newly incontinent after an assault & I am not adjusting to every life very well. I have accepted what happened to me, but I am just struggling in general. My husband means well, but is not as supportive as I would have hoped. I haven't told any of my friends yet. I currently wear Tena which works well unless I drink a lot of water, which I'm supposed to be doing daily so I'm learning how to balance that out as well. I just kind of feel abnormal right now & would love to simply connect with people who understand this is a different kind of a normal. Thanks

You are in the right place for that. Good luck and any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask us!! Remember there are worse things in life to have to deal with than this...

Yes, welcome to the board. There are many of us here to lean on for help and support. If you have any questions, let us know.

Welcome to the Forum, we are here to help and support you. Here you can talk, vent, ask questions and find good resources for learing to manage incontinence.

Hi @Silenced09, I'm sorry to hear that you were assaulted and are finding it hard to adjust to things now.
Welcome to the forum! You will get a lot of help, advice and just good friendship here. Everybody here understands where you are right now. I know that you probably feel kind of weird at this point but I think those feelings are normal for what you are going through. We have all felt that way at one time or another but please know incontinence is a manageable condition and it's a matter of finding a "new normal" as all of us have had to do. Having to find that "new" normal happens a lot more than you think!
And please don't think you are abnormal as incontinence happens to a lot more people than you may realize. You mentioned you haven't told any of your friends? Well that's perfectly understandable as they may not even have a need to know at this point. But you may be surprised to know that at least one, if not more, of your friends may also be confronting incontinence issues and are also wondering how to go about it. So please don't feel you are alone in this. You have us. And we are open all the time so please come when you feel like it and talk to us. And after awhile you may find yourself in a position to be helping someone new to this just like you are now.

^^^ This. When I found this forum I was a bit lost, but have found ways to cope. Now I find myself hopefully helping too!

I’m incontinence I wear north shore mega max there good diapers you can go 12hours or more before you have to change

Hi,this forum is great,I urge you to keep drinking water it will teach you on how to control yourself with Keel exercises,don't give up, it will get better,cut of drinks like coke,Pepsi etc...cut down on coffee,don't take hard liquor and acid juices,take it from me,I followed this and it worked

@Silenced09,
Hi and welcome! Glad you are here. Sorry to hear about the assault and the resulting incontinence. You aren’t alone here for sure. Hope you find everyone here helpful as most of us deal with urinary or bowel issues and may have some great tips that can help.
Welcome to the forum.
Jim in MD

Hi,it's me again,you will have to cut down on sweets,it doesn't mean that you won't be able to eat sweets or drink pepsi etc... anymore,give your body to heal,espicially in the inside,it takes time,I cut my juices in half ( half with water and half with juice ) but drink mostly water,take care

Dear Silenced 09,
So glad that you reached out to us. How horrible that you were assaulted. That in itself would bring a disruption in normalcy. Take good care, find allies, and know that you are always more than welcome here.

I'm sorry you need to be here, but glad you found your way here! This is a wonderful, supportive bunch of people.

Welcome Silenced09,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope you find lots of help here. We are a friendly bunch.

Have you found out whether your incontinence is likely to be permanent?

Tena is not a bad product but there are far better out on the market to be honest. I can personally vouch for Drylife, Abena, Betterdry products here in the UK, perhaps you may be able to source them across the pond?

Please feel free to post any questions as a lot of us have gone through what you are dealing with and we can help you.

Your are in the right place the people here have been through about everything so feel secure about asking questions.

laalaauk said:
Welcome Silenced09,

Sorry to hear about your issues. Hope you find lots of help here. We are a friendly bunch.

Have you found out whether your incontinence is likely to be permanent?

Tena is not a bad product but there are far better out on the market to be honest. I can personally vouch for Drylife, Abena, Betterdry products here in the UK, perhaps you may be able to source them across the pond?

Please feel free to post any questions as a lot of us have gone through what you are dealing with and we can help you.

Thank you so much. Yes, this is my "new life". I just got Tena because I tried Depend first and they did not work like AT. ALL. Tena is way more comfortable & works okay, but my familiarity kind of goes what I've seen in the aisles at the store. I would love to know about better options. I guess I figured ones from medical supplies places would be insanely bulky but that's probably my ignorance talking since I don't actually know

Northshore is a great company with a diverse line from barely there to Megamax, my goto for long days. I wet constantly and while not super discrete, no one has ever made any comment and at this point I cannot even tell when I look in the mirror.

There are a lot of diapers just like wetdad mentioned. There are some that are slim are absorb well, some have a smooth plastic outer backing that does not make any noise. Some brands have a more bulkier fit and have a very quiet plastic backing such as BetterDry.
You just have to find a brand that absorbs a little more than whats needed to diminish the posibility of leaks. It is kind of a trade off of bulk more absorbency vs slim less absorbency, usually a slim diaper that absorbs a lot has a high quantity of absorent polymer but has to wick effectively, if not, it is going to leak guaranteed.
There are many ways to diminish the appearance of a bulky product effectively through right clothes combinations. At first finding the right product takes trial and error,