Lymphedema

Archives1

Staff member
Has anyone developed lymphedema post Radical Prostectomy? I was told this is a rare incurable condition caused by removing lymphnodes for biopsy after surgery. It causes swelling, In my case both feet and legs. I now have to go to lymphedema clinic 3 times a week to keep the swelling under control. Never heard of this and was never told of this possible side effect from surgery. Removing lymphnode compromises your lymphatic system which removes toxic fluid from your body leaving it to build up anywhere in your body.

Sorry to hear this. I had 7 lymph nodes removed during my recent RP. Not issues but as a healthcare professional was a little concerned.

I had RP in 2018. I believe they removed 1 lymph node for testing (you have many). Did not have any swelling problems. In 2020 I had hormone treatment and radiation of prostate bed and pelvic lymph nodes. Several months after radiation was completed, I had some slight swelling around my ankles. The doctors said that the radiation probably did not cause this. However, a very good pelvic floor physical therapists that I was seeing said that it was possible because the pelvic lymph nodes were what removed fluid from your lower body. There are probably many opinions from many medical people and many different factors that could contribute to the swelling. I have not seen any literature published on this, but also have not researched this. In my case the swelling was minor and never got worse. I wish you the best and hope that it will improve.

My grandmother had lymphedema as does my dad currently. It’s a big mess with not many solutions. Please make sure you follow their instructions carefully.

Hi! I recommend using QueSoft continence products. They're much thinner, cheaper and discreet, they don't even feel like you've got them on. You can order through their website at quesoft.com.au.