Leakage after turp surgery

Archives1

Staff member
Had turp surgery 4 weeks ago. When I move around walk bend stand I get moderate leakage. Doctor says it could take 6 to 9 months to get better. Very little leakage when sitting or at nite when sleeping. Anyone have this problem n does the time to get better sound right.

I just responded to another post related to leakage after surgery. I would say you will probably continue to improve over the next 6-12 months, but the ultimate key to your complete recovery, in my opinion, will be whether or not your internal sphincter was permanently damaged during your TURP.

I have had two TURPs. After the first one I had no leakage whatsoever. After the second one I have not been able to regain continence, and I am two years removed from the procedure. I am convinced that, during the second TURP, tissue was removed that was critical to maintaining continence. Without that tissue, there is no recovery.

Three months after my TURP I was back to the same drips and dribbles I had before. I then developed scar tissue and had to have a bladder neck incision. I guess that this damaged the internal sphincter and I have been leaking ever since.

I am a 70 year old male with a long history of bladder cancer, probably caused by Agent Orange in Vietnam. I have 21 TURPs in 21 years, however, did not have any leaking during that time from the TURPs. Last year I had my prostate removed and I believe the Urologist injured my internal sphincter during surgery and now I experience severe incontinence. I was scheduled for the Artificial Urinary Sphincter (AUS) in November but had to cancel because of a UTI. I am still interested in getting the AUS but not totally convinced yet. Meanwhile, I’m using 5-8 pads a day but about half that many if I abstain from coffee. Every day is a new adventure. Phil

From what I understand,the internal sphincter,that we have no control over,is removed during a prostatectomy which leaves us guys with only the external sphincter. That sphincter we can, to a degree, control with pelvic exercises. For some of us, control comes fairly easy, but for others like myself it can be a life long problem. I may be wrong about this, but I don't think so.

The surgeon told me that the TURP damages the internal sphincter and that in my case the bladder neck incision ruined it completely. My own doctor thinks that all the instruments going in and out might have weakened my external sphincter as well.

It seems like everyone responding to this thread shares one thing in common - we've had some sort of surgical procedure that resulted in anatomical changes to our internal sphincter. And since these anatomical changes have impacted the sphincter's ability to do its job adequately, we all suffer from incontinence, to one degree or another.

My problem is very manageable (1-2 medium Tena pads during the day, with no need for nighttime/sleeping protection) so I'm going to continue to do my Kegels regularly, so my external sphincter can provide maximum support for what it was designed to do. I am also tracking very closely the stem cell trials that are focused on incontinence, as I believe this is the only treatment that will ultimately allow me to regain continence.

My problem is that once the flow starts I can't stop it. This means that I have no way of knowing if I just need a small insert pad or a full nappy. Most days I opt for a nappy as work is not the place to have an accident. Botox was supposed to stop the sudden spasms, but unfortunately it has stopped me going at all without a catheter.

I,too, can't stop my flow once it starts. Each morning,I would try and guess as to what kind of protection I should wear,if any. After several close calls, and a few accidents, I decided to go with a tape on diaper. Not great, but definitely helps with anxiety.